[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS--Friday, Aug. 16th, 2019

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Thu Aug 15 18:26:18 EDT 2019

cid:image001.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0
WEEK OF FRIDAY, AUG. 16th thru THURSDAY, AUG. 22nd ONLY!!
Check out our website at: www.TheAvon.com
Trouble Seeing the Pictures in the Newsletter??
Make sure your email browser is set to “html”, not “text only”.
  <https://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre>
cid:image002.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0
CLICK ABOVE TO GO TO OUR VITAL FACEBOOK PAGE!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OUR ‘QUICK LOOK’ SHOWTIMES!!
BLINDEDtimes.PNG
+++++++++++++++++++++
A GREAT “FEEL GOOD” MOVIE!!
blinded_by_the_light_ver2.JPG
BLINDED BY THE LIGHT (PG13)
1987. When music fanatic Javed discovers the illustrious back catalogue of
The Boss his world is turned upside down; already a creative soul his
passion for music and writing is set alight by the songs of the
working-class poet, whose lyrics feel all too familiar to the aspirational
teenager. Yearning to escape his rundown hometown and the rules of his
traditional Pakistani household, Javed finds himself caught in between two
worlds and must discover if he too is Born to Run...
Critics Consensus

Like a life-affirming rock anthem, Blinded by the Light hits familiar chords
with confidence and flair, building to a conclusion that leaves audiences
cheering for an encore.
blinded_by_the_light_ver3.JPGblinded_by_the_light_ver4.JPG
BLINDED BY THE LIGHT (PG13)
FRI: (5:00) –8:00
SAT: (2:00) – (5:00) -8:00
SUN: (2:00) – (5:00)
MON thru THURS: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
HIGH ADVENTURE FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!!
Nickelodeon’s Dora-The Explorer!!
dora_and_the_lost_city_of_gold_ver3.JPG
DORA AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD (PG)
Having spent most of her life exploring the jungle with her parents, nothing
could prepare Dora (Isabela Moner) for her most dangerous adventure ever --
High School. Always the explorer, Dora quickly finds herself leading Boots
(her best friend, a monkey), Diego (Jeffrey Wahlberg), a mysterious jungle
inhabitant (Eugenio Derbez), and a rag tag group of teens on a live-action
adventure to save her parents (Eva Longoria, Michael Peña) and solve the
impossible mystery behind a lost city of gold.

DORA AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD (PG)
FRI: (4:00) –7:00
SAT: (1:00) – (4:00) -7:00
SUN: (1:00) – (4:00)
MON & TUES: 6:30 (ENDS TUESDAY!!)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
FROM THE BEST-SELLING BOOK!!
whered_you_go_bernadette_ver2 (2).JPG
WHERE’D YOU GO, BERNADETTE? (PG13)
Based on the runaway bestseller, Where'd You Go, Bernadette is an inspiring
comedy about Bernadette Fox (Academy Award winner Cate Blanchett), a loving
mom who becomes compelled to reconnect with her creative passions after
years of sacrificing herself for her family. Bernadette's leap of faith
takes her on an epic adventure that jump-starts her life and leads to her
triumphant rediscovery.

WHERE’D YOU GO, BERNADETTE? (PG13)
FRI: (4:00) –7:00
SAT: (1:00) – (4:00) -7:00
SUN: (1:00) – (4:00)
MON thru THURS: 6:30
++++++++++++++++++++++
STARTS WED, AUG. 21st!!

A WEDDING THRILLER!!!
ready_or_not.JPG
READY OR NOT (R)
Ready Or Not follows a young bride (Samara Weaving) as she joins her new
husband's (Mark O'Brien) rich, eccentric family (Adam Brody, Henry Czerny,
Andie MacDowell) in a time-honored tradition that turns into a lethal game
with everyone fighting for their survival.
ready_or_not_ver2.JPG

READY OR NOT (R)

WED (Aug. 21st) & THURS (Aug. 22nd): 6:30
(REGULAR SHOWTIMES ANNOUNCED NEXT WEEK)
++++++++++++++++++

SKIPPY2016.JPG
Skip Huston

It’s pretty well known how proud we are of our staff at the Avon.
But, with Fall, we’ve always had to face saying goodbye until college breaks
or vacations

This year is especially tough because we’re saying goodbye to some forever!

Two of our girls have already left for law school, another one will be going
to graduate school in London, England in a couple weeks. Another one is
looking to do something in law as well.
In fact, every single one of them have mojo going for themselves! Not a
loser or a slacker in the bunch!

Sue and I have always been so blessed over these last 21 years with
top-notch staffers.
(Yes, there have been a few duds, but the ratio of those is far, far smaller
than the winners!)
And, the flattering thing is they sometimes come back to visit or even work
a few shifts if they are needed.
There are times you’ll see faces behind our counters you haven’t seen in
years!
They know they are always part of our Avonian family, and always welcome!

A recent magazine article about the Avon said we were “aging gracefully”,
and I like to think that!
Yes, we have some broken seats, and we’re not as fancy as the big corporate
hoo-hahs, but we do the best we can with what we got!
We’re clean, and well-staffed and stocked, and, even though we only have 3
screens to work with, we TRY to bring what we think are the best selections
for those screens. Sometimes we have to miss out on something because of
‘politics’, or just plain timing. But, YOU all seem to understand!
(After 21 years, I’d hope so! HaHaHa!)

In closing, let me say this from my heart and soul: On August 28th I will be
(all kidding aside) 69 years old. I was in my late ‘40’s when I first got
the keys to the old Avon

(I remember standing there thinking “What do I do now?”---like the dog that
caught the car!)

I never plan to retire until God makes that decision for me.
I move a little slower these days, and I sit a lot more, but our girls keep
an eye on me.
It’s been my eternal joy to have done this all these years, and I hope we
see many more together!

Love You All!

-Skip

The ORIGINAL $5.00 TUESDAY!!
tightwad.JPG
The Avon Theater has been YOUR locally owned, family-operated 'hometown
theater' for almost 103 Years!!
As of April, 2019, we started our 21st year!
cid:image008.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0- Skip Huston