[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---Jan. 24th, 2014

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Jan 22 18:39:10 EST 2014

STARTS FRIDAY, JAN. 24th!!!
6 OSCARS NOMINATIONS INCLUDING "BEST PICTURE" & "BEST ACTOR"!!
ONLY AT THE AVON IN THE DECATUR AREA!!

WEEK OF FRIDAY, JAN. 24th thru THURSDAY,  JAN. 30th  ONLY!!
Check out our funky-chic website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre
OUR "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NEBRASKA (R)  Drama 1 hr 50 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)
NOMINATED FOR SIX OSCARS INCLUDING "BEST PICTURE"!!

Director Alexander Payne (Sideways, The Descendants) takes the helm for this black and white road trip drama starring Bruce Dern as a tempestuous Missouri father who's convinced he's won a million dollar magazine sweepstakes, and Will Forte as the son who grudgingly agrees to drive him to Nebraska to claim his winnings. Bob Odenkirk and Stacy Keach costar.
Elegant in its simplicity and poetic in its message, Nebraska adds another stirringly resonant chapter to Alexander Payne's remarkable filmography.
NEBRASKA (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY (R)  Drama / Comedy 2 hr 10 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)
MERYL STREEP & JULIA ROBERTS BOTH OSCAR NOMINATED!!
AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY tells the dark, hilarious and deeply touching story of the strong-willed women of the Weston family, whose lives have diverged until a family crisis brings them back to the Midwest house they grew up in, and to the dysfunctional woman who raised them.
AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
SUN:  (2:00) - (5:00)
MON thru THURS: 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AMERICAN HUSTLE (R)  Comedy / Drama 2 hr 9 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)
NOMINATED FOR TEN OSCARS INCLUDING "BEST PICTURE"!!
A fictional film set in the alluring world of one of the most stunning scandals to rock our nation, American Hustle tells the story of brilliant con man Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale), who along with his equally cunning and seductive British partner Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams) is forced to work for a wild FBI agent Richie DiMaso (Bradley Cooper). DiMaso pushes them into a world of Jersey powerbrokers and mafia that's as dangerous as it is enchanting. Jeremy Renner is Carmine Polito, the passionate, volatile, New Jersey political operator caught between the con-artists and Feds. Irving's unpredictable wife Rosalyn (Jennifer Lawrence) could be the one to pull the thread that brings the entire world crashing down. Like David O. Russell's previous films, American Hustle defies genre, hinging on raw emotion, and life and death stakes.
Riotously funny and impeccably cast, American Hustle has unbridled energy and some of David O. Russell's most irrepressibly vibrant direction.
AMERICAN HUSTLE (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 Best Picture Oscar Nominees, and my comments:
(I haven't seen that many of the nominees, so I will update this every week)
"American Hustle" Since I refuse to go to any of the "other guys" theaters, I have been really anxious to see this. I called it as the "Best Picture" winner a few months ago, but we'll see!
I'm glad I decided to bring it in for all of you who also refuse to go to the "other guys"! Thanks for the loyalty!

"Captain Phillips"  Another one we didn't have a screen available to play when it first came out, so see above comment. Difference is: This came out on DVD a few days ago, and while I much PREFER the AVON theater experience, I'll watch it soon in my basement theater.

"Dallas Buyers Club" This certainly took a long time to get to this area. I don't know exactly why either. I know WE only have 3 screens to work with, and they are constantly booked solid. It makes it really tough to be able to bring in everything we'd like to. I do know it hits DVD in about 2 weeks, so...

"Gravity"  Wow! if you didn't see this in 3D, I am sure you wonder what all the fuss is about. This was truly a 3D game changer, and the best use of 3D since AVATAR, or HUGO, or THE LIFE OF PI. I went in to watch favorite parts of it EVERY TIME we played it! My favorite of the ones I've seen, but, admittedly, that's a limited list!

"Her"  Often, in the film classes I taught for 13 years (and may resume this summer) I would opine that movies were terribly hurt in their marketing by awkward or cutesy titles. Here is a prime example. I think the studio is quite upset its not doing any business, but they have only their marketing and creative department to blame for that abysmal title. I DO intend to see it someday. I hear its quite clever.

"Nebraska"  I'M SEEING IT THIS WEEKEND, FOLKS!! I'll be right in there with you watching sometime this weekend!!!

"Philomena"  All of you know what happened here, I think. We had it for a little over a week, and had to drop it or risk losing 2 big new movies that were pushing their way in! We are "thinking" of bringing it back soon for those who didn't get to see it. (And, I am, sadly, one of those!)

"12 Years a Slave"  Absolutely beautiful in its production and acting, but not anything I would tout to win for "Best Picture". The brutality and horror of the story is one that is, sadly, all too familiar to the human species. I'm not sure how many of us can say our ancestors were not someone's slave at some point, if you are willing to go back far enough in history. (My ancestry is Scot, and I know the Romans did a number on my forebears many centuries ago!). It never hurts to be reminded of the atrocities we commit on each other, but... This is a movie I admired very much, but I would NEVER want to see it again!

"The Wolf of Wall Street" If I were to be swayed by the opinions of a lot of YOU who saw this 3 hour tribute to drugs, sex and very bad behavior, I would stay as far away from it as possible! I know many film buffs hear the name of director Martin Scorsese, and bow their heads in reverence, but... He IS capable of fallibility, y'know! (Remember dreck like "The Last Temptation of Christ" or the utterly boring "Kundun"---all examples of Scorsese not working at the top of his craft). I do intend to someday see this, but it's not at the top of my list for sure!

Ok, so that's my take on what I've seen, and haven't seen, so far.
I expect the next few weeks a lot of the "haven't seen yet" comments will be changed.
The nominations, as usual, were puzzling in their sensibilities.
You can't convince me that the delightful "Saving Mr. Banks" or the dark and brooding "Prisoners" did not have a place on this list.

But, its Hollywood, and who ever expects logic from that place?

Come See Us this Weekend!!
-I'll Be There, and I'm Looking for you and you and...YOU!
-Skip Huston
NO DOUBT ABOUT IT...
THE GREATEST CAST ON EARTH!!!

JULY 2013.
Who is the grooviest one in the picture?
Guess correctly and win absolutely nothing!! HaHaHa