[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---JUNE 8th, 2012

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Jun 6 11:51:00 EDT 2012

WEEK OF FRIDAY, JUNE 8th thru THURSDAY,  JUNE 14th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OPENING:
 PROMETHEUS (PG13) Ace director Ridley Scott takes you back to sci-fi adventure!!

CONTINUING:
 THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (PG13) Judi Dench and Maggie Smith in the one you've been waiting for! ENDS SOON!!

  SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN (PG13) The #1 Movie in America!!

COMING SOON:

 JUNE 15th: ROCK OF AGES (PG13) Tom Cruise and an all-star cast in the '80's musical!

 JUNE 22nd: ABRAHAM LINCOLN-VAMPIRE HUNTER (PG13) Yes, you read that correctly. BIG FUN! BIG THRILLS!

JUNE 22nd: BRAVE (PG) The newest from Pixar!! Bring all the kids you can find!!

 JULY 20th: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (PG13) The final entry in the BATMAN trilogy! Biggest hit of the year?

...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PROMETHEUS (R)

Ridley Scott, director of Alien and Blade Runner, returns to the genre he helped define. With Prometheus, he creates a groundbreaking mythology, in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.
NOTE FROM SKIP:
In my not-so-humble-opinion, the people responsible for releasing PROMETHEUS have done it a great disservice by keeping the plot line and its actual motives very quiet....
In fact, they have played a little too "coy" for my tastes, and I certainly hope it won't hurt the movie's chances!
To be direct: The "correct" header for this movie should be "In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream" ---now, does that line mean anything to you?
If not, its because you are either not aware of one of the great tag lines in movie history, or are too young to remember, or just flat don't care...

...BUT, that was the tag line from Ridley Scott's original 1979 ALIEN, which was one of the most ground-breaking sci-fi movies in cinema history!
(I know, the film teacher that I am is starting to show up here, but just go with it)
In truth, the ALIEN genre never reached the peaks that Scott's original film, and James Cameron's sequel ALIENS provided...
In fact, ALIEN3, by the now-respected David Fincher, was a total waste.
And recent attempts to resurrect the nasty creatures have resulted in self-parody at best.

Well, here I am to say it to you: PROMETHEUS is a PREQUEL to that first ALIEN movie of 1979!
We are back in Ridley Scott territory now with all the weird mythology of this sci-fi extravaganza!
IN SPACE, NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
PROMETHEUS (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (PG13)
Here is one of the most "definitive" of the genre known as "Avon movies" we have played in quite a while!!
JUDI DENCH, MAGGIE SMITH and a whole bunch of British stars you know and love all come together in this wonderful comedy about a group of seniors going to India, and all the trouble they get in to!
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel follows a group of British retirees who decide to "outsource" their retirement to less expensive and seemingly exotic India. Enticed by advertisements for the newly restored Marigold Hotel and bolstered with visions of a life of leisure, they arrive to find the palace a shell of its former self. Though the new environment is less luxurious than imagined, they are forever transformed by their shared experiences, discovering that life and love can begin again when you let go of the past.

Have you been starving for a movie geared to actual, bona fide, thinking ADULTS??
Are you already sick and tired of all the special effects driven, spandex-wearing hoo-hah that permeates "summer" at the movies?
THIS IS FOR YOU!!!!!

HURRY!! ENDS WEDNESDAY, JUNE 13th!!!
THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN(PG13)
THE #1 MOVIE IN AMERICA!!
In the epic action-adventure Snow White and the Huntsman, Kristen Stewart plays the only person in the land fairer than the evil queen (Charlize Theron) out to destroy her. But what the wicked ruler never imagined is that the young woman threatening her reign has been training in the art of war with a huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) dispatched to kill her. Sam Claflin joins the cast as the prince long enchanted by Snow White's beauty and power.
SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

New Film classes start THURSDAY, June 14th @ 6:30!!
This is Part TEN (!!) of what is my most popular screening and discussion series, "OVERLOOKED FILMS"!!

OVERLOOKED is cool because it can be virtually ANYTHING, from dramas, to classics, to thrillers, to westerns, to epics...you get the picture!
As long as it is a quality film that got "overlooked", or slipped through the cracks somehow, it qualifies!

Enrollment flyers for the latest Richland-at-the-Avon class series are available in our lobbies right now.
You can also enroll in-person on the night of the first class with a Richland official who will be there to get you started!
Just come a little bit early, and it won't take long to get you signed up!

OVERLOOKED FILMS has always been our largest class.
Many see it as a groovy way to pass those summer nights!
It's a great way to meet people from all walks of life too!
I hope I see you there this summer!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This next item really needed to be said by me in advance of you just finding it out on your own:
For the first time in several years, we are going to raise ticket prices effective this Friday, June 8th.

You know the drill: Everything has gone up in its cost to us, from the price of raw popcorn, to real butter, to even the freight charges on film transport!
Truly, just the greedy bank credit card charges alone make us almost want to eliminate credit cards altogether! (But, we won't)

The price increase really isn't that bad, and certainly not in the manner we see the "other guys" raise theirs regularly without any notice to anyone, but here we go:
EFFECTIVE FRIDAY, JUNE 8th:

MATINEES (all ages, all shows before 6 PM): $6.50
SENIORS (age 60 and up): $6.50
CHILDREN: (age 12 and under): $6.50
ADULTS: (after 6 PM): $8.00
VIP PASSES (10 movie pass): $60

When you analyze this, you will see the following:
1.) Our "senior" age is lower at 60, compared with the "other guys" senior qualifier at 65
2.) The Adult price has only raised 50 cents.
3.) The senior/child/ matinee price has only raised 75 cents
4.) The VIP pass can still be amortized out at $6 per show, no age group specified.

As mentioned, it has been years since we raised prices, and we really hate to do it.
I hope we have given you good enough service over the years, that you will roll with the punch here!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

...and now a word from Ashley Petty, The Avon Theater 3's General Manager....
JOB OPENINGS AT THE AVON THEATER!!
The Avon Theater is now accepting applications for a few positions opening in late Summer / early Fall!
(Training will have to start sooner than that!)
Do you want to be in show-biz? Well, here's your chance!

*MUST apply in person to General Manager Ashley Petty during normal business hours (During the weekdays that's after 6 PM, Friday's after 4 PM, and Saturday and Sunday after 1 PM.). NO PHONE CALLS!
NOTE: Ashley is usually not there on Wednesday nights, or Fridays, but you can still pick up an application and bring it back to here when she is there).
FURTHER NOTE: Ashley is on vacation until Wednesday, June 13th, so wait with your applications until then!

*MUST be willing to work nights, weekends, and all holidays! NO EXCEPTIONS!

*MUST have own reliable transportation!

*MUST be over 18 years old, however, we will consider as young as 16 based on individual maturity.

*Prefer college-age, but will consider all ages.

*We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.

The Avon Theater is a great place to work, and our best girls usually stay for years!
(The fact we have openings coming is due to some long-time staffers going away to college.)

If you think this is right for you, Ashley wants to meet you!!
(Once Ashley conducts your initial interview, she may schedule you for a follow-up with the Avon's honchos if she thinks you are a candidate!)

This is a rare chance when we reach out to the public for staff!
Applications are closing soon! Don't delay!

Thanks, folks!
 Ashley Petty---Avon Theater General Manager
Come See Me This Weekend!
I'll Be Looking for you and you and...YOU!!
-Skip