[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---SEPT. 30th, 2011

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Sep 28 13:50:39 EDT 2011

WEEK OF FRIDAY, SEPT. 30th thru THURSDAY, OCT. 6th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OPENING:
 DREAM HOUSE (PG13) Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts & Rachel Weisz in a Hitchcock-type thriller!

 SEVEN DAYS IN UTOPIA (G) Robert Duvall in a heartwarming movie of redemption and salvation.

CONTINUING:
 KILLER ELITE (R) Jason Statham, Clive Owen & Robert DeNiro!! Mega-action!

COMING SOON:
  OCT. 7th: REAL STEEL (PG13) Hugh Jackman in a hard-hitting sci-fi adventure of a "different" sort!

 OCT. 14th: THE BIG YEAR (PG13) Steve Martin & Jack Black comedy!!

 OCT. 21st: PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 (R) Just in time for Halloween!!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DREAM HOUSE (PG13)
Successful publisher Will Atenton (Daniel Craig) quit a job in New York City to relocate his wife, Libby (Rachel Weisz), and two girls to a quaint New England town. But as they settle into their new life, they discover their perfect home was the murder scene of a mother and her children. And the entire city believes it was at the hands of the husband who survived. When Will investigates the tragedy, his only lead comes from Ann Paterson (Naomi Watts), a neighbor who was close to the family that died. As Will and Ann piece together the disturbing puzzle, they discover that the story of the last man to leave Will's dream house will be just as horrifying to the one who came next.

Worthy of the term "Hitchcockian", this thriller with the top-notch cast is one many of us have been looking forward to!

DREAM HOUSE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI:  (5:00) - 8:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SEVEN DAYS IN UTOPIA (G)
Seven Days in Utopia follows the story of Luke Chisolm (Lucas Black), a talented young golfer set on making the pro tour. When his first big shot turns out to be a very public disaster, Luke escapes the pressures of the game and finds himself unexpectedly stranded in Utopia, Texas, home to eccentric rancher Johnny Crawford (Robert Duvall). But Johnny's more than meets the eye, and his profound ways of looking at life force Luke to question not only his past choices, but his direction for the future.

Find your faith...and your golf game with ROBERT DUVALL in Utopia, Texas!!
SEVEN DAYS IN UTOPIA  (G)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++

KILLER ELITE (R)
A match-up made in tough-guy heaven -- Jason Statham, Clive Owen and Robert De Niro star in Killer Elite. Based on a shocking true story, Killer Elite pits two of the world's most elite operatives - Danny, an ex-special ops agent (Jason Statham) and Hunter, his longtime mentor (Robert De Niro) - against the cunning leader of a secret military society (Clive Owen). Covering the globe from Australia to Paris, London and the Middle East, Danny and Hunter are plunged into a highly dangerous game of cat and mouse - where the predators become the prey.
KILLER ELITE  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On Tuesday, Sept. 27th, I had the great honor of addressing the Macon County Medical Society at their dinner meeting at South Side Country Club.
I have not done speaking engagements in many years, but this was unique enough that I couldn't help but agree to appear.
Some of the most prominent local Doctors were there, many of them loyal Avon customers, and even some of them my film students!
It was great to see South Side Country Club too!
South Side was a place my family were members of back in the 1950's and '60's (not that I could afford it these days!).
I hope I was up to the task, folks, and thanks for inviting me to speak.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
On October 1st, the Avon Twins will be 7 years old!
Can you believe it?
7 years, and many still can't figure out what door to go in!! HaHaHaHa!!

The Avon Twins were an important and pivotal addition to downtown Decatur.
Unlike the old Avon, and that other ancient downtown theater, the Avon Twins represented NEW building!

They are a beacon of hope in our downtown landscape.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...AND, speaking of our downtown: Thanks so much to all of you for tolerating the mess the workers are making on our block.
It was nice the hoo-hahs at the city agreed to start on our block, since September and late-August are generally slower times in the movie biz, but...
It sure is a hassle!
...and it will get even worse soon when the concrete is removed from our side of the street!

But, then, our part will be finished, and what follows afterward is the entire downtown being torn up.
It will look so great when it is all completed, though!

And, it appears those pesky parking meters will soon be going to parking meter heaven too!
(Not to mention trucks being re-routed out of downtown! Hallelujah!)

As I said in my aforementioned speech last night, Decatur has a long way to go, but we've come a long way too!
It's all up to YOU what we make it!

Keep a positive outlook, stay patient, and, most importantly, VOTE the "right" people into office, and clean out the "wrong" ones!

It's as simple as that!
FREE HALLOWEEN MOVIE SCHEDULE!!

Thanks, Folks!
Come See Me!!
I'm looking for you and you and...(maybe)YOU!!