[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---March 5th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Mar 3 13:05:51 EST 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, MARCH 5th thru THURSDAY, MARCH 11th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING:
CREATION (PG13) The Darwin bio-pic starring Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly!
AN EDUCATION (PG13) Best Actress Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan will charm you in a wonderful movie! "Best Picture" nominee!!
THE IMAGINARIUM OF DR. PARNASSUS (PG13) Heath Ledger's last film! Nominated for 2 Oscars!

CONTINUING:
THE SECRETS OF JONATHAN SPERRY (PG) A Faith-based Christian film for the whole family!  ENDS SOON!!
THE LAST STATION (R) Helen Mirren & Christopher Plummer are both Oscar-nominated for this!

COMING SOON:
MARCH 12th: GREEN ZONE (R) Anxious for another BOURNE movie? Matt Damon comes as close as you can get to it here for now!
MARCH 19th: THE BOUNTY HUNTER (PG13) Jennifer Aniston & Gerard Butler are ex-spouses battling it out! FUNNY!!
...and MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
3D COMES TO THE AVON TWINS ON APRIL 2nd!!!
SEE THE ACTION SPECTACULAR "CLASH OF THE TITANS" ON THE AVON'S
NEW 3D SYSTEM!!!
INSTALLATION WILL START NEXT WEEK!!
WOWSER!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE LAST STATION (R)
Helen Mirren and Christopher Plummer are both nominated for this wonderful film (she for "Best Actress", he for "Best Supporting Actor").
Everyone who saw it last weekend just raved about it, so we held it over for another week!
This film, a partly-fictionalized chronicle of the declining days of legendary Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy, is a true "Avon movie" in every sense of the word!
Nominated for 2 Oscars including BEST ACTRESS and BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR. See it before the Oscars on Sunday!
THE LAST STATION   (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AN EDUCATION (PG13)
It's been a bit since we have heard from Avon supporter and all-around cool guy, Leonard Maltin, so here we have his review of this Oscar nominated gem...
"AN EDUCATION" reviewed by Leonard Maltin
It isn't easy being a sleeper nowadays. There's been so much buildup for An Education, which has traveled the film festival circuit since Sundance in January, that it's difficult for ordinary moviegoers to feel as if they're discovering it for themselves. I hope inflated expectations don't harm the film's reception: it really is quite good and deserving of all the buzz it has generated this year.
Newcomer Carey Mulligan plays a precocious 16-year-old girl growing up in a London suburb in the early 1960s-before the arrival of swingers, Carnaby Street fashions, and the Beatles. She feels trapped by her bourgeois parents and conventional classroom assignments; then she chances to meet an elegant older man (Peter Sarsgaard) who introduces her to his sleek friends and sophisticated life. It doesn't take much to turn her head.
Nick Hornby adapted the screenplay from a short memoir by British journalist Lynn Barber; apparently his expansion softens the story a bit even as it expands the horizons of the real-life tale. Danish director Lone Scherfig captures the nuances of time, place, and best of all, performance, from a can't-miss cast including Dominic Cooper, Rosamund Pike, Olivia Williams, Emma Thompson, Sally Hawkins, Cara Seymour, and Alfred Molina in a splendid turn as Mulligan's class-conscious father.

But it's Mulligan who's been getting all the attention, and understandably so: she is utterly believable, and engaging, as a girl who can't wait to be a woman.or so she thinks. Glib comparisons to Audrey Hepburn are fine for headline or copy-writers but don't really have any substance: Mulligan is a first-rate actress with appealing looks. All evidence points to a long and fruitful career, but for now An Education will serve as her calling card. Every actress should be so lucky. Leonard Maltin 2009 (used with permission)

Nominated for 3 Oscars including BEST PICTURE and BEST ACTRESS!! Here is your chance to finally see why!!!
AN EDUCATION  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 7:15
SAT: (1:15) - 7:15
SUN: (1:15)
MON thru THURS: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE SECRETS OF JONATHAN SPERRY (PG)
This faith-based Christian family film sure packed 'em in last weekend, and all were very, very satisfied!
It will be LEAVING SOON, so get down and see one of those kind of movies they should make more like!
You can bring everybody from your kids to your 90 year old granny to see this one!
THE SECRETS OF JONATHAN SPERRY (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 7:00
SAT: (1:00) - 7:00
SUN: (1:00)
MON thru THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE IMAGINARIUM OF DR. PARNASSUS (PG13)

And, here is Leonard Maltin again to tell you about Heath Ledger's final film...
"The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus" reviewed by Leonard Maltin
Over the years, Terry Gilliam has become something of a brand name, leading moviegoers to expect a generous display of visual razzle-dazzle and an offbeat sensibility; the problem often lies in his story or screenplay. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, written by Gilliam and his frequent collaborator Charles McKeown, is one of his better endeavors: a bit rambling, but enjoyable.
Christopher Plummer plays the title character, who operates a quaint theatrical troupe that travels around London in an old-fashioned caravan and engages audience members in its performance, using a magic mirror. The unsuspecting volunteers have no idea what lies in store for them. What's more, it turns out Doctor Parnassus made a deal with the Devil, aka Mr. Nick (Tom Waits), a long time ago and a deadline is drawing near. Meanwhile, the troupe acquires a mysterious new member whom they rescue from the brink of death; he's played by the late Heath Ledger.
 There's no point explaining any more of the serpentine story. Suffice it to say that Gilliam leads us through a series of imaginative experiences, mostly on the other side of the looking glass. Computer graphics have opened up a whole new world for Gilliam and he makes the most of those tools. But the film's most unusual "special effect" is a quick-change moment when Ledger's place is taken by Johnny Depp.then Jude Law.then Colin Farrell. You're not sure whether to believe your eyes at first, but the substitution actually works quite well in the context of the film.
If you have a taste for the offbeat, and don't mind a story that wanders a bit, I think you'll enjoy what Gilliam has to offer. Leonard Maltin 2009 (used with permission)
Nominated for 2 Oscars, here is an offbeat and phantasmagorical saga!
THE IMAGINARIUM OF DR. PARNASSUS   (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI, SAT & SUN: (4:00)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CREATION (PG13)

I've been a fan of Jennifer Connelly for many years now.
When she won the Oscar for her role in "A Dangerous Mind" a few years back, I knew my faith in her was justified!
(Of course, it doesn't hurt that she is one foxy-looking gal either!)
In this extremely rare new film, she joins her husband, Paul Bettany, in the story of Charles Darwin's younger days.
This also boasts UK stars Toby Jones (Truman Capote from INFAMOUS) and long-time Avon favorite Jeremy Northam.
We are very fortunate to have secured this film for a limited engagement,  please support it.
CREATION   (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI, SAT & SUN: (4:15)
=================
RAMBLINGS FROM SKIP:
Whee doggies, granny, we got FIVE movies this weekend!
I just went plumb Oscar kee-razy!!!

It was tough to get all 5 scheduled, and some of them are more limited than I would have preferred, but I think we have them accessible for all of you..
.

The Oscars are MY "Super-Bowl", and always have been.
Every since I was a bratty little kid, I have parked in front of the TV when the Oscars were on...

...I used to think that maybe I would even WIN an Oscar someday.
(No, not for acting or directing, but for "Best Song" or "Best Musical Score" or "Biggest Pain in the Butt"...)
Now that I am a decrepit 39 years old, the possibility of that grows slimmer each year...

Want to peer even closer into my Oscar mania?
I HAVE BEEN RECORDING THEM, IN FULL, SINCE 1979!!
Yup!
I have some incredible moments archived that will, most likely, never be available to purchase, rent or download.
>OVER 30 YEARS OF OSCAR SHOWS!!!<

Purty darn groovy, huh?

Come See Some Good Movies This Weekend!!
I'm Waiting to See You and You and , ESPECIALLY...YOU!!!