[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---MARCH 12th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Mar 10 12:09:25 EST 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, MARCH 12th thru THURSDAY, MARCH 18th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING:

GREEN ZONE (R) Anxious for another BOURNE movie? Matt Damon comes as close as you can get to it here for now!
OUR FAMILY WEDDING (PG13) Forest Whitaker & America Ferrera  in a hilarious romp!!

CONTINUING:

THE SECRETS OF JONATHAN SPERRY (PG) A Faith-based Christian film for the whole family!  FRI, SAT & SUN ONLY!!

COMING SOON:
MARCH 19th: THE BOUNTY HUNTER (PG13) Jennifer Aniston & Gerard Butler are ex-spouses battling it out! FUNNY!!
APRIL 2nd: CLASH OF THE TITANS (PG13) A Spectacular Beginning for our NEW 3D System!!
APRIL 9th: LETTERS TO GOD (PG) A Faith-based family film that you will love!
APRIL 9th: DATE NIGHT (PG13) Steve Carell & Tina Fey are on the town, and in big trouble too!
APRIL 17th:THE GOLD RUSH (1925) The Millikin Symphony Orchestra accompanies this Charlie Chaplin silent masterpiece! ONE NIGHT ONLY!!
...and MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
3D COMES TO THE AVON TWINS ON APRIL 2nd!!!
SEE THE ACTION SPECTACULAR "CLASH OF THE TITANS" ON THE AVON'S
NEW 3D SYSTEM!!!
INSTALLATION WILL START THIS WEEK!!
WOWSER!!!
(SEE MORE BELOW)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
GREEN ZONE (R)
If you are thinking that another entry in the Matt Damon BOURNE series would be really nice to see right about now, you can't get much closer than this for the time being!
One of the great things about the Bourne movies is the superb direction by Paul Greengrass. This guy can make action look like you are right in the thick of it! He gives such scenes an "immediacy" that few directors today have mastered.
WELL...the director of GREEN ZONE is none other than that same Paul Greengrass, and with Matt Damon the star, it looks like a true Bourne-like movie is in the offering!
Oscar season is over, Spring is coming, and its time for a great "popcorn picture"!
GREEN ZONE  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OUR FAMILY WEDDING (PG13)
Serious and Oscar-winning actor Forest Whitaker in a COMEDY??
-And with "Ugly Betty" TV star America Ferrera?
-And heart-throb Taye Diggs?
Take the lunacy and culture clashes of movies like "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and combine that with elements of "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" and you have a laugh-filled romp that is not going to win any awards or make any critics happy, but will certainly mean a lot of fun for YOU!!
OUR FAMILY WEDDING  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE SECRETS OF JONATHAN SPERRY (PG)

Now comes your LAST CHANCES to see this wonderful faith-based family film.
We have already held it longer than was contracted, but it MUST leave after Sunday!
Don't miss it!
There are still some advance tickets out there that were sold by the churches, and we can't honor them for any other film!
If you are someone who has these advance tickets, or know someone who has them, tell them to get a movin'!!
THE SECRETS OF JONATHAN SPERRY (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RAMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO

Here's the info on my next film class...
Starts April 1st!!

SILENT MOVIE CLASSICS---PART 6!!

The continuation of our popular film and discussion series on the classics of the silent screen!

A 6 WEEK COURSE STARTING THURSDAY, APRIL 1st  and ending THURSDAY, MAY 6th!!

This 6 week class and discussion film series will meet every Thursday @ 6:30 PM starting April 1st at The Avon Theatre.
Cost is $60, in cash or check  (no credit cards, please), checks payable to "Ripper Entertainment".
NOTE: This class is NOT payable through Richland!

Unlike all of our previous film classes, we WILL reveal SOME (but not ALL) of the movies to be screened beforehand.

WINGS (1927) The FIRST movie to win the "Best Picture" Oscar! Clara Bow and Buddy Rogers.
THE SON OF THE SHEIK (1926) Rudolph Valentino in his best, and last film!

SOULS FOR SALE (1923) The recently-rediscovered "inside Hollywood" comedy/romance!

THE DOCKS OF NEW YORK (1928) Extremely rare Josef von Sternberg directed masterpiece!

.and MORE to be decided!! (Maybe a Douglas Fairbanks? Maybe a D.W. Griffith Epic? Maybe Greta Garbo?)

Seeing one of the silent classics of the Golden Age of Cinema in the 1916  vintage Avon Theatre, is a "transporting" and even rather eerie & remarkable journey through the archaeology of the cinema! Many of these films were considered LOST until just recently!! This is an unforgettable experience for the true film buff!!

====================================

Come  join us for 6 weeks of unforgettable movie experiences, and a lively discussion with fellow film-buffs!  Sign up TODAY at the AVON THEATRE!

(Give this form with your payment to the Avon Theatre's staff)
SILENT MOVIE CLASSICS-PART 6 SIGN-UP FORM

$60, Cash or Check (no credit cards for this class, please)

NAME:__________________________________________

PHONE:_________________________________________

EMAIL (if any):____________________________________________              (Email to be used only for class purposes)

3D BE HAPPENIN'!!

If you take a look into our Twins screen #1 (that's the Southern most screen, or, as you come into the Twins' lobby, the one on the right) you will see the already-installed special screen for our new 3D system! This screen has a rather different look to it, but wait until you see what even regular movies look like on it! WOW!

The other parts to the 3D system are in-house right now in cartons, to be opened only by a certified technician.

Safe to say, I think, within two weeks or less, the entire 3D system will be installed and configured and ready for the APRIL 2nd opening of "CLASH OF THE TITANS" !!!

The big question remains: WILL WE CHARGE THE $3.00 3D SURCHARGE THE "OTHER GUYS" CHARGE??

Many of you already are aware that I think the 3D surcharges are outrageous profiteering, and, in light of this economy, really kind of blasé and irresponsibly out-of-touch.
The Avon has always held the line at lower prices all around...

Our snack bar items are higher quality, larger portions, and lower-priced than the "other guys", and our ticket prices have lower points as well.

You can bet I will be researching these 3D surcharges to see just how bogus and/or "optional" they really are.

In any event, all of you KNOW we will do the BEST by YOU!!

I'm Waiting to SEE you this weekend!

That means you and you and...YOU!!!