[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---JUNE 11th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jun 10 10:23:05 EDT 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, JUNE 11th thru THURSDAY, JUNE 17th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING:
THE A-TEAM (PG13) All-star action, all-star comedy, all-star FUN!! Summer movies are HERE!!!
THE SECRET IN THEIR EYES (EL SECRETO DE SUS OJOS) (R) Oscar-Winner for Best Foreign Language Film!! FABULOUS MOVIE!!

CONTINUING:
LETTERS TO JULIET (PG) Amanda Seyfried, Vanessa Redgrave & Franco Nero in a timeless love story! HELD OVER!!

COMING SOON:
JUNE 18th: TOY STORY 3 (G) The whole gang is back in this new chapter of the beloved series. Regular priced 2-D showing!!
JUNE 18th: PRINCESS KAIULANI (PG) Epic story of the legendary 1888 Hawaiian princess!   A REAL "AVON" MOVIE!!
Wednesday, JUNE 23rd: KNIGHT & DAY (PG13) Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz in a comedy/thriller!
Wednesday, JUNE 30th: ECLIPSE--The Twilight Saga (PG13) Do I have to tell you what this is??
...and MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE A-TEAM (PG13)
Sometimes you just feel like settling in with a big tub of our classic, locally grown, ultra-hybrid Avon popcorn, layered as only our girls can do with REEL BUTTAH, and turn off the world for 2 hours of fun and excitement.
No, this re-invention of the old TV series of the same name is not going to change your world, make you a better person, or answer any of life's questions...
What it IS going to do is give you some first-class, all-star action and escapism!
And isn't that what the movies are really all about anyway?
Yes, it's a "summer popcorn picture", but it is VERY good at being just that!!
THE A-TEAM (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LETTERS TO JULIET (PG)
So, who knew?
Well, my film buyer, Howard, for one.
He told me to play this movie when it first came out.
I didn't.
THEN, he told me to bring it in as a 2nd run after its 3rd week...
And, boy, am I glad I did!
This wonderful romance is STILL selling tickets, and many of them to repeat viewers!
Up-and-comer AMANDA SEYFRIED and veterans VANESSA REDGRAVE and FRANCO NERO (where's HE been?) bring you what we call in Avonia, "a real good 'un!"...
Your travel agent has tickets to Italy ready for you after you see this!
LETTERS TO JULIET (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE SECRET IN THEIR EYES  (EL SECRETO DE SUS OJOS) (R)
Are you ready for an EXCELLENT movie?
Are you going to let subtitles get in the way of seeing a superb film??
Here is the review from Rolling Stone by Peter Travers...

THE SECRET IN THEIR EYES (EL SECRETO DE SUS OJOS)
Having won the Academy Award as the year's best foreign-language film, The Secret in Their Eyes has a decent shot at wearing down resistance to subtitled films. Don't be put off. This spellbinder from Argentina will sneak up and floor you. It's that good.

Ricardo Darin is brilliant as Benjamin, a criminal-court investigator who is tormented by the unsolved rape and murder of a young bride in 1974, and by the military junta that devastated his country around the same time. We watch as Benjamin and Sandoval (the superb Guillermo Francella), his alcoholic partner, work with the victim's husband, Ricardo (Pablo Rago), to identify the killer. Photos, especially those revealing the eyes of the killer, play a major role in the discovery. In a thunderously exciting chase scene through a Buenos Aires stadium during a heated soccer match, Benjamin and Sandoval hunt their prey, only to find him given shelter by the corrupt government of the new Argentina.

Now, 25 years later, the retired Benjamin begins writing a novel to resolve his need for closure and his feelings for Judge Irene Menéndez Hastings (Soledad Villamil, fiercely good). Out of a fabric of suspense that would have fascinated Alfred Hitchcock, director Juan José Campanella, best known in the U.S. for his work on Law & Order SVU, House and 30 Rock, weaves a moral fable that manages to pack a powerhouse punch and still be as intimate as a whisper. The highest praise is due Darin and Villamil for letting the unspoken passion between these two characters play out in their eyes. You won't be able to take your own eyes off them, or to get this supremely intelligent and deeply touching thriller out of your head.

...And that's just ONE of the DOZENS and DOZENS of GREAT reviews, folks!!

The people who read this newsletter are a "cut above" the average movie-goer (that's because they are AVONIANS!!)...
Do yourself a big favor this weekend and SEE THIS MOVIE!!
You will rave about it to your friends!!

THE SECRET IN THEIR EYES (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FILM CLASSES RESUME THURSDAY, JUNE 17th @ 6:30 AT THE AVON!!
HAVE YOU REGISTERED YET??
"OVERLOOKED FILMS---PART 9"
That's right, those empty Thursday nights since the last Richland-at-the-Avon film classes ended, are now almost over!!
This is the 9th year of our most popular class series "OVERLOOKED FILMS".
The great thing about the "Overlooked" series is: You never know what you're going to get!
(Just like a box of chocolates!)
The "Overlook Films" series can be comedies, dramas, epics, adventures, mysteries---you name it!
As long as they are "Overlooked" they qualify!

Flyers are now available with tuition and enrollment forms in both of our lobbies, or call 875-7211 ext. 265
You can register with Richland early, or just come a little early that first night to register with a Richland official!
Tuition is $80 for 8 Thursdays of screening and discussion.

Join a whole lot of nice people for a great way to spend the summer!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RAMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO

Seems like only yesterday an official from Richland Community College approached me about teaching film classes at the Avon...
I was sure it would not work.
I was certain no one would come.
I was positive that if they DID come, they'd throw things at me and never come back!

But it did, and they did, and they kept coming back for NINE YEARS now!

I love my classes.
I wish I could teach film all the time!
If you are the least bit curious about my classes, please give us a try next Thursday @ 6:30.
Sign up and spend 8 weeks with a lot of great people who are all film buffs like you!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LO-CAL HOT DOGS?
Yes, that's right.
Our hot-dogs are Nathan's All-Beef franks exclusively.
Plus we only use LIGHT buns! Always.
The frank is 170 calories, and the light bun is 80.
That means one of our hot-dogs is only 250 calories!!

You can eat TWO and only have spent 500 calories!
(And the condiments amount to nothing added really).

Don't you wish you had one right now??

HELLOS & GOODBYES

You will start to see some familiar faces behind our counters in the next few weeks.

Summer is the time of year when our veteran staffers come home from school and/or graduation and return to their posts at the Avon!

As much as we like some of our newer people, it is always good to see some of the faces in the older staff pictures in the main lobby come back once again

But, as is always the case, some bitter must come with the sweet...
We will be losing a few of our current staffers at the end of summer as they go off to college!

I'll tell you more about that as the summer starts to wane, and, I'll tell you about some brand-new faces on our staff as well very soon!

BUT, for now, Summer's here and the time is right for movies at the Avon!

So, Come See Me Right Now!!