[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---JUNE 4th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jun 3 13:25:45 EDT 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, JUNE 4th thru THURSDAY, JUNE 11th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING:
LETTERS TO JULIET (PG) Amanda Seyfried, Vanessa Redgrave & Franco Nero in a timeless love story! ONE-WEEK-ONLY!!

CONTINUING:
SEX AND THE CITY 2 (R) All the girls are back and so is the fun!

PRINCE OF PERSIA: The Sands of Time (PG13) Jake Gyllenhaal in an astounding Summer "popcorn" picture!

COMING SOON:
JUNE 11th: THE A-TEAM (PG13) Liam Neeson and an all-star cast in an action adventure!!
JUNE 18th: PRINCESS KA'ULANI (PG) Epic story of the legendary 1888 Hawaiian princess! A REAL "AVON" MOVIE!!
JUNE 25th: KNIGHT & DAY (PG13) Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz in a comedy/thriller!
Wednesday, JUNE 20th: ECLIPSE--The Twilight Saga (PG13) Do I have to tell you what this is??
...and MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LETTERS TO JULIET (PG)
Better late than never, right?
When this one was first released a few weeks ago, we opted to open "Robin Hood" instead.
(The fact we only have 3 screens to work with is sometimes such a detriment).
You will see this happens sometimes. We will promote a film, and then end up playing it a little later when we have a screen available.

So, finally, here it is!
This timeless love story with young up-and-comer AMANDA SEYFRIED and veterans VANESSA REDGRAVE and FRANCO NERO, is the kind of romantic story we don't see enough of any longer.
Plus, the Tuscan country-side will make you rush to call your travel agent!!  SHOWS ONE-WEEK-ONLY!! Better HURRY!!
LETTERS TO JULIET (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE PRINCE OF PERSIA (PG13)
Jake Gyllenhaal is all buffed-out and ready for swordplay action in this fantasy adventure that plays like a cross between "Indiana Jones" & "Pirates of the Caribbean". Just check your brain at the door, grab a bucket of our classic popcorn (with reeel buttah) and get lost in the movies for a couple hours... isn't that really what Summer movies are about?
THE PRINCE OF PERSIA (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SEX AND THE CITY 2 (R)

See Liza Minnelli do the "Single Ladies" song and dance number!
That alone is worth the price of the ticket to see this new chapter of the popular series!

I think it was a mistake to release this during Memorial Day weekend, since all the women this is targeted for had a lot of other things going on then.
Having said that, we are looking for all of you who didn't show last weekend to show-up THIS weekend, ok?

Yes, the reviews are bad, but so what?
Do you actually think the critics, who are mostly men, are going to embrace this movie when they are too busy inventing new hyperbole to use for the latest fan-boy comic-book super-hero malarkey? (...or the latest 3D retread of yet another tired-out series?)

The fact is: Hollywood doesn't make many movies that deal with people of a more mature age group.
When they do, you need to support it.

SEX AND THE CITY 2 (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FILM CLASSES RESUME THURSDAY, JUNE 17th @ 6:30 AT THE AVON!!

That's right, those empty Thursday nights since the last Richland-at-the-Avon film classes ended, are now almost over!!
This is the 9th year of our most popular class series "OVERLOOKED FILMS".
The great thing about the "Overlooked" series is: You never know what you're going to get!
(Just like a box of chocolates!)
The "Overlook Films" series can be comedies, dramas, epics, adventures, mysteries---you name it!
As long as they are "Overlooked" they qualify!

Flyers are now available with tuition and enrollment forms in both of our lobbies.
You can register early, or just come a little early that first night to register with a Richland official!
Tuition is $80 for 8 Thursdays of screening and discussion.

Join a whole lot of nice people for a great way to spend the summer!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RAMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO

The entertainment news is filled with talk as to how this was the worst Memorial Day weekend at the movies in 16 years (first it was 9 years, then 15, now the latest is 16 years) and how the theater biz is in a panic wondering what went wrong, etc., etc.

To paraphrase Shakespeare, the fault lies NOT in the stars, but in THEMSELVES!
(I hesitate to say "ourselves" because I do not feel The Avon should be lumped into the sector of "other" theaters that are charging exorbitant rates for 3D or Midnight movies, or just about anything they can get away with...)

The fact is: Audiences are finally feeling "sticker shock" at the movies.
It's been coming for a long time.
The latest ploy of theaters charging $3.50 and UP for 3D glasses (which, by the way, are supplied to the theaters at the present time for FREE---yup, that's right---free) has finally hit the limit of what people will fork out.

Witness the fact that while 60% of the revenue for the latest 3D mishmash, "Shrek 4", was from 3D screens, when you adjust for all those 3D surcharges, it means that MORE people saw it in NON-3D theaters!

It's just that the 3D prices are SO INFLATED, they are deceptive as to how popular 3D really is!

It's like all that "Avatar" hogwash...
Don't tell us how much money it made when some theaters were selling tickets for about $20; tell us HOW MANY TICKETS IT SOLD! duh!

The Avon charges a $2 surcharge for 3D, as compared to $3.50 that the local "other guys" charge...
---And we really don't like charging even that extra $2!

Y'see, we are the LOCAL guys, and we have to see all of you all the time.
Things are tough, and even tougher here in Decatur.
People are struggling, and I can't stand to see families paying the kind of prices MOST of the out-of-state owned theaters are forcing you to pay!

SO...
I am contemplating something incredible.
I am still thinking about it right now, but, maybe by next week, you will see a NEW promotion at the Avon that will ROCK YOUR WORLD!

Got you interested?
Come see me this weekend, and maybe I will tell you early!