[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWSLETTER (Jan. 15th, 2010)

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jan 14 09:38:57 EST 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, JAN. 15th thru THURSDAY, JAN. 21st ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
THE YOUNG VICTORIA (PG13) Emily Blunt makes this role her own, and has award nominations for it too!

CONTINUING:
LEAP YEAR (PG) Amy Adams cuter than ever! A real charmer of a movie!
IT'S COMPLICATED (PG13) Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin!! GREAT FUN!!

COMING SOON:
JAN. 22nd: EXTRAORDINARY MEASURES (PG) Harrison Ford and Brendon Fraser in a heart-warmer of a true medical story!
JAN. 29th: EDGE OF DARKNESS (R) Mel Gibson is back in a real kick-butt thriller!!
FEB. 5th:    CRAZY HEART (PG13) Will Jeff Bridges finally get his long-deserved Oscar for this one?
FEB. 12th: THE WOLFMAN (R) Wow! I've been waiting for this one!!! The re-make of the classic 1940 thriller!!
FEB. 12th: VALENTINE'S DAY (PG13) Julia Roberts and a GINORMOUS & HUGE All-Star Cast!!
...and MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE YOUNG VICTORIA (PG)
As is sometimes the case, I am going to let our friend, nationally-known film critic LEONARD MALTIN weigh in on this one...
Take it away, Leonard!
The Young Victoria
 The challenge of any historical drama is to engage us so that we're not passively observing a pageant of events but actively involved in the characters and their story. Screenwriter Julian Fellowes has drawn on many sources to create a witty, often gripping screenplay that tells a story many people may not know about the teenage girl who was crowned Queen of England in 1837-and how her life was often cruelly manipulated, both before and after her coronation.

    Director Jean-Marc Vallée, who made the wonderful French-language Canadian film C.R.A.Z.Y., handles the many characters and their intrigues with grace and skill, so that even someone who knows little or nothing of this period, like me, can follow it all and understand most of it. (My wife, the Anglophile, had no such problems.) The settings are majestic, the costumes quite beautiful, but the icing on this cake is the cast, led by Emily Blunt as the willful young woman who knows her own mind, Rupert Friend as her cousin Albert, of Germany, who transcends the ritual of arranged marriage to become the great love of Victoria's life, the always-wonderful Miranda Richardson as Victoria's much-disparaged mother, the Duchess of Kent, the versatile Mark Strong as her strong-willed advisor Sir John Conroy, Paul Bettany as the young Queen's cunning advisor Lord Melbourne, Thomas Kretschmann as Albert's calculating uncle King Leopold of Belgium, Jim Broadbent in a vibrant cameo as King William, and Harriet Walter as his widow, Queen Adelaide.

    The Young Victoria brings an interesting chapter of British history to life in fine fashion. And if the conflicts in the early part of the story are more compelling than those that follow, it's a minor quibble for a solid piece of entertainment.  Leonard Maltin (used with permission)
RUNNING TIME: 1 hr. 40 min, not including pre-show material (but NO commercials!)
THE YOUNG VICTORIA   (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LEAP YEAR  (PG)
Ya' gotta' love AMY ADAMS! She really brightens up a film no matter what she's in!
Leap Year is a sweet and unassuming little film that will not rock your world, but will make you feel awfully good for having seen it!
You'll come away with a true yearning for the Irish countryside, that's for sure!
LEAP YEAR (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
IT'S COMPLICATED (PG13)
And here is the last week for MERYL STREEP, ALEC BALDWIN and STEVE MARTIN in this rollicking and slightly naughty comedy.
It's been here since Christmas day, and it's time to move it out for new ones!
You better get a'movin' if you still haven't seen it (or want to see it again!)
Running Time: 2 hrs. 8 min. not including pre-show previews (but NO commercials!)
IT'S COMPLICATED (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
A NOTE FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...

FILM CLASSES RESUME 6:30 THURSDAY, JAN. 21st!!
That's right, it's only been about a month since we ended our last class session, but it seems like its been years!

"AMERICANA AT THE MOVIES--PART 3" will be a continuation of our popular "Americana" series!
These are a carefully-picked selection of films that portray all facets of the American culture, in all periods of history too!
(And we NEVER tell you beforehand what you are seeing! You just gotta' trust me!)

Right now you can pick up class flyers and enrollment forms in our lobbies or just enroll in-person on Thursday, Jan. 21st at about 6:15.
An official from Richland will be there to sign you up!
Tuition is $80 for 8 weeks of great screening and discussion.
The Richland-at-the-Avon Film Classes have been a local staple for almost 9 years now, and maybe it's time YOU saw what they were all about?
AND, I'll look for YOU this weekend!!!