[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWSLETTER Jan. 7th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Jan 6 12:02:59 EST 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, JAN. 7th thru THURSDAY, JAN. 14th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
LEAP YEAR (PG) Amy Adams cuter than ever! A real charmer of a movie!

CONTINUING:
SHERLOCK HOLMES (PG13) Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law!!
IT'S COMPLICATED (PG13) Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin!! GREAT FUN!!

COMING SOON:
JAN. 15th: THE YOUNG VICTORIA (PG13) Emily Blunt makes this role her own, and has award nominations for it too!
JAN. 22nd: EXTRAORDINARY MEASURES (PG) Harrison Ford and Brendon Fraser in a heart-warmer of a true medical story!
JAN. 29th: EDGE OF DARKNESS (R) Mel Gibson is back in a real kick-butt thriller!!
FEB. 5th:    CRAZY HEART (PG13) Will Jeff Bridges finally get his long-deserved Oscar for this one?
FEB. 12th: THE WOLFMAN (R) Wow! I've been waiting for this one!!! The re-make of the classic 1940 thriller!!
FEB. 12th: VALENTINE'S DAY (PG13) Julia Roberts and a GINORMOUS & HUGE All-Star Cast!!
...and MORE!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LEAP YEAR  (PG)
Is there any actress working today who can pull off "plucky" as well as AMY ADAMS? I don't think so!
Here is someone I'd had my eye on ever since we played one of her first movies, "Junebug" many, many moons ago!
This gal can sing and dance too, and is more of the "old Hollywood" type of talent that we see so rarely these days.

In this outing, yes, I think you could put this firmly in the "chick flick" category, but so what?
Some of my favorite movies have been of that type (called "rom-com's" in some parlance).

A young woman is frustrated because her boyfriend just will not take the step to a marriage proposal, so she follows
him off to Ireland (where he is on business) to propose to him herself under the 'leap year' rule!

What follows is a quirky and fun comedy, with some surprises and romance thrown in!
I've had this on my list of movies to show ever since I first heard of it!
Fun, and a "PG" family friendly!
Running Time: 1 hr. 40 min. not including pre-show previews (but NO commercials!)
LEAP YEAR (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
IT'S COMPLICATED (PG13--at least that's what MY rating's board---me---calls it)

Oh, boy is everyone liking this one!
MERYL STREEP, ALEC BALDWIN and STEVE MARTIN prove that you can be over 60 and still pack 'em in at the box-office!

Seriously, there has been a lot of media hoo-hah about how the over-60 crowd is forgotten by Hollywood, and this is absolutely true!
The more YOU get out and support funny (and a bit naughty) movies this, the more we send a message to the knotheads at the studios they need to
remember ALL of their audiences and not just the mall-dwellers!
You can keep all your inane singing chipmunks and blue people in 3D, I'll take movies for the more discerning and mature audiences any day!
That segment is what THE AVON has been faithful to for the past 11 years!

Running Time: 2 hrs not including pre-show previews (but NO commercials!)
IT'S COMPLICATED   (PG13--see above)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SHERLOCK HOLMES (PG13)

Big action and a cast of all distinguished talents, including ROBERT DOWNEY, JR., JUDE LAW and RACHEL McADAMS.
This is a box-office smash and a real "popcorn" picture!
It will, most likely, have to leave after this week, so get a'movin'!!

Running Time: 2 hrs. 8 min. not including pre-show previews (but NO commercials!)
SHERLOCK HOLMES (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
A NOTE FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...

FILM CLASSES RESUME 6:30 THURSDAY, JAN. 21st!!
That's right, it's only been about a month since we ended our last session, but it seems like its been years!

The Winter '10 screening and discussion course will be a continuation of our popular "Americana" series!
"AMERICANA--PART 3"
These are a carefully-picked selection of films that portray all facets of the American culture, in all periods of history too!
(And we NEVER tell you beforehand what you are seeing! You just gotta' trust me!)

We'll tell you more in the coming weeks, but right now you can pick up class flyers and enrollment forms in our lobbies.

The Richland-at-the-Avon Film Classes have been a local staple for almost 9 years now, and maybe it's time YOU saw what they were all about?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
So, Christmas, 2009 is now history.
The trees are being dismantled, the decorations packed away...
Now, we settle in for the battle through what could be a terrible winter.

AND, what is there to feel good about THAT??
Well>>>
It means that SPRING comes after!

So, let's suit-up and get this winter OVER and DONE!!

As I always say:
"In order to get THROUGH IT, you gotta' get TO IT!"

--And we'll do our part in AVONIA to help you to cope!
I'm always looking for you and you and...YOU!!