[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---JULY 10th 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jul 9 11:28:54 EDT 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY,  JULY 10th thru THURSDAY,  JULY 16th  ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY, July 10th:
THE GREAT BUCK HOWARD (PG) VERY Limited Engagement! John Malkovich, Tom Hanks and a whole lot more!

OPENING WEDNESDAY, JULY 15th:
HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG) TUESDAY "MIDNIGHT PREMIERE"!!!

CONTINUING:
PUBLIC ENEMIES (R) Johnny Depp & Christian Bale in the story of master crook Dillinger!
THE PROPOSAL (PG13) Sandra Bullock up to mischief! This is a scream!! (ENDS WEDNESDAY!!)
MY SISTER'S KEEPER (PG13) Cameron Diaz & Abigail Breslin  (ENDS TUESDAY!!)

COMING SOON:
JULY 17th: EASY VIRTUE (PG13) Jessica Biehl, Colin Firth and Kristen Scott Thomas!
JULY 24th: CHERI (R) Michelle Pfeiffer is back on the screen!
...and MORE to be announced soon!!
THE GREAT BUCK HOWARD (PG) First of all, take a look at what veteran movie critic Leonard Maltin said about THE GREAT BUCK HOWARD...Take it away, Leonard!

THE GREAT BUCK HOWARD - Here is a sleeper well worth discovering, especially if you share my fondness for stories about show business. John Malkovich wouldn't have been the first name that popped into my head when casting the role of a self-deluded performer who's still hoping for a comeback, but he is totally disarming-and convincing-as a mentalist and old-school performer (reminiscent of The Amazing Kreskin) whose heyday has come and gone. Colin Hanks plays an aimless law school dropout who stumbles into the job of Malkovich's assistant and roadie, a thankless task given his new boss' mercurial nature and many eccentricities.
The Great Buck Howard is essentially a character portrait, and I found it both charming and fascinating. Writer-director Sean McGinly obviously inhabited this world and recreates it with great care, offering plum supporting roles to such actors as Emily Blunt, Steve Zahn, Debra Monk, Ricky Jay, and the film's producer Tom Hanks, playing the disapproving father opposite his real-life son Colin.

This movie isn't destined to become an opening-weekend barn-burner but, having sat on the shelf for more than year, I'm glad it's finally getting a theatrical release. It deserves to be seen, and appreciated, by discerning audiences-and show-biz buffs. -Leonard Maltin

So, now you are wondering why we have this well-received film on such a limited schedule, right? It is only because of studio politics.
There are films we are playing right now that must be held a certain number of days, and it was either cancel BUCK HOWARD, or try and work it in as best we could. This is one of those wonderful "Avon movies" you have all missed so much, so PLEASE get out and support it! The "PG" rating should take away any doubts you have about it, and the film is EXCELLENT! Don't assume we will hold it over for another weekend, DO NOT HESITATE!!
THE GREAT BUCK HOWARD (PG)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI, SAT & SUN: (5:15)
PUBLIC ENEMIES (R) And, this is where we separate the wheat from the chaff, as THE AVON has proven to be the HIGHEST ticket seller in the Decatur/Mt. Zion/Forsyth area on this one! And why the surprise? This is a film for grown-ups! (And the Avon is a theater for grown-ups, so no big mystery there!)--
AND, there is no morphing robots, superheroes, or vulgar potty humor to be found!
Just a great story about real people done by a first-class director, and starring that incredible JOHNNY DEPP!!!
This is a film with a true "epic" feel, and, yes, is a tad longer than most movies (it clocks in at a lightning paced 2 hrs. 20 min.) but that only ads to the gravitas of a real story about genuine people.
If you are tired of the same ol', same ol' when it comes to this summer's movies choices, this is the one you need to see!!
PUBLIC ENEMIES (R)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI, SAT & SUN: (3:15) - 7:15
MON thru THURS: 6:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
MY SISTER'S KEEPER (PG13) Here are the last chances to see this 9-hanky film adaptation from the well-read book of the same name. CAMERON DIAZ and ABIGAIL BRESLIN are remarkable as mother and daughter facing a crisis that no one should have to face. ENDS TUESDAY!!
MY SISTER'S KEEPER (PG13)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 8:15
SAT & SUN: (2:15) - 8:15
MON & TUES: 7:00
ENDS TUESDAY!
THE PROPOSAL (PG13) And, here are the absolute last chances for this laff fest starring SANDRA BULLOCK and RYAN REYNOLDS! If you haven't seen it at least once by now, you better get a move on!
THE PROPOSAL (PG13)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES: 7:15
WED: 6:15
ENDS WEDNESDAY!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HARRY POTTER and the HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG)
>From the internet is the plot description of what may prove to be the summer movie that sends all the rest of them into hiding!!

Voldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him for the final battle that he knows is fast approaching. Together they work to find the key to unlock Voldemort's defenses and, to this end, Dumbledore recruits his old friend and colleague, the well-connected and unsuspecting bon vivant Professor Horace Slughorn, whom he believes holds crucial information. Meanwhile, the students are under attack from a very different adversary as teenage hormones rage across the ramparts. Harry finds himself more and more drawn to Ginny, but so is Dean Thomas. And Lavender Brown has decided that Ron is the one for her, only she hadn't counted on Romilda Vane's chocolates! And then there's Hermione, simpering with jealously but determined not to show her feelings. As romance blossoms, one student remains aloof. He is determined to make his mark, albeit a dark one. Love is in the air, but tragedy lies ahead and Hogwarts may never be the same again.

HARRY POTTER and the HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
TUESDAY @ MIDNIGHT!!
WED & THURS: (3:00) - 7:00
Weekend Showtimes TBA
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
STRAIGHT TALK FROM THE SKIPSTER:

One of the many ways you will find the Avon much different than so many other theaters (especially in the Decatur area), is we have a ZERO-TOLERANCE policy on cell phones and disruptive behavior!
This is one of the reasons many of those who are rude and thoughtless in their actions DO NOT COME to the Avon!
They know we will throw their fannies out in a heartbeat!

However, we must know about the problem in order to do something!
We can't afford to have someone sitting in the auditoriums monitoring constantly, so, if someone disturbs you, do not just assume we know about it!
YOU MUST TELL US!

And, unlike the other theaters that seem to be staffed with bored and sullen kids, we have a staff that will respond to your complaints without question (or they know they will be dealing with me if they don't).

In this society of increasing rudeness and obnoxiousness, we like to feel the Avon is an oasis from those type of problems that seem to happen on an hourly basis at the "other guys"; but, if we don't know about it, we can't do anything unless we happen to stumble on the problem ourselves!

Many of you have witnessed me, personally, dealing with a talkative or thoughtless persons. There have even been letters in the Decatur Herald & Review about how I take care of such cretins.

So, don't hesitate to tell one of us about a problem interfering with your enjoyment!
Even the youngest members of our staff know what to do about that!

AND, you don't have to look for me to tell me; ALL of our AVON staff WILL be proactive of this type of problem, or they can go work at the "other guys"!!
Come See Me Soon!