[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---JULY 3rd, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jul 2 11:32:31 EDT 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY,  JULY 3rd thru THURSDAY, JULY 9th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

NOW PLAYING:
PUBLIC ENEMIES (R) Johnny Depp as John Dillinger! Christian Bale as G-Man Melvin Purvis! DYNAMITE!!!
THE PROPOSAL (PG13) Sandra Bullock up to mischief! This is a scream!!

MY SISTER'S KEEPER (PG13) Cameron Diaz & Abigail Breslin

COMING SOON:
JULY 10th: THE GREAT BUCK HOWARD (PG) An Avon "Discovery"!! John Malkovitch, Tom Hanks, and many more!
JULY 15th: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG) 'nuff said?
JULY 17th: EASY VIRTUE (PG13) Colin Firth, Jessica Biel and Kristen Scott Thomas!
  ...and, MORE, MUCH MORE!!
PUBLIC ENEMIES (R) WOWSER!! This is what we call in Avon parlance a "good'un"!!!
AND...surprise of surprises no superheroes or morphing robot nonsense or raunchy potty humor!! What a concept!!
YES, this is a movie for the "grown-ups" out there!
JOHNNY DEPP is absolutely astounding in his low-keyed and intense portrayal of the legendary '30's bank robber John Dillinger, and CHRISTIAN BALE as G-Man Melvin Purvis, the guy who obsessed about, and finally put and end to Dillinger, adds another whole element of texture to the film. One of my favorite directors, Michael Mann, really did himself proud with this, and also made some daring decisions in the manner it was filmed too. Eschewing the traditional Hollywood type of photography, Mann elected to make this more of a documentary "you are there" type of presentation, and it works! Some of the gunplay and shootouts are so immediate and involving, you are tempted to duck the bullets in the theater!
By the way, this is rated "R" only for some tommygun shootings that are really not all that bloody. There is no overt sex or nudity for those of you who worry about such with an "R" rating.
PUBLIC ENEMIES (R)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI, SAT & SUN: (3:15) - 7:15
THE PROPOSAL (PG13) Here is the last week of the SANDRA BULLOCK and RYAN REYNOLDS hit comedy! If you haven't trotted yourself down here by now to see it at least once, you better get a move on! This is one funny movie, and you will be laughing!!
THE PROPOSAL (PG13)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MY SISTER'S KEEPER (PG13) CAMERON DIAZ  shows she can really stretch beyond romantic comedy or cutie-pie roles, as a Mom with a daughter who is afflicted with cancer. ABIGAIL BRESLIN, who stole our hearts as "Little Miss Sunshine" is the OTHER daughter, who has to make a difficult decision about her sister...hence, the title! This is from a book that many of you have read recently, and, yes, it is a "three hanky" movie, but ultimately uplifting as well! Don't miss it!

MY SISTER'S KEEPER (PG13)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON thru WED: 6:15
THURS: 7:00
SOME STRAIGHT TALK FROM THE SKIPSTER:
The time is coming soon when we will start to present more of the "Avon movies" you have all missed so much!
Starting next week with the wonderful "The Great Buck Howard", and the week after that with "Easy Virtue", we start to get back to our roots with the type of movies we have not concentrated on in quite a while.
Is this a reaction to the current tendency of Hollywood to ignore the "grown ups" and cater only to the mall/multiplex crowd?
Maybe.
Or, maybe it is in realizing what makes the Avon unique is our ability to play things that need "nurturing" and are not just the overly-touted "flavor of the week"?

It is often observed that what works at other theaters, will sometime not work at the Avon, and VICE-VERSA!
The Avon's crowd is more discerning, and less tolerant of the disposable fluff that is being force-fed into theaters across the land.
After all, The Avon was resurrected out of a desperate desire to be an "alternative" venue, so why not embrace that once again?
The key will be YOU.
YOU need to get out and support these alternative art & indy films we are bringing in so we can see this direction was the correct one!
As always, it is ALL ABOUT YOU!!
Don't accept anything less!!
Come See Me Soon!
Happy July 4th, folks!