[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS--Jan. 16th, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jan 15 14:48:54 EST 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, JAN. 16th thru THURSDAY, JAN. 22nd ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY: Oscar Winners Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson in LAST CHANCE HARVEY (PG13)

CONTINUING: Clint Eastwood in GRAN TORINO (R)
                  Kate Hudson and Anne Hathaway in BRIDE WARS (PG) ENDS THURSDAY!!

COMING NEXT WEEK: Mickey Rourke astounds in THE WRESTLER (R)

COMING SOON:
PINK PANTHER 2
HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU
Plus...Selected Oscar Nominee "Encores"
LAST CHANCE HARVEY  (PG13) This one was tailor-made for the Avon audiences! With Clint Eastwood showing all of us that the "old timers" still have a lot of juice left in them, now we have DUSTIN HOFFMAN and EMMA THOMPSON, both Oscar winners, in a story of how it is never, never too late to find love. Here is very respected film critic LEONARD MALTIN to tell you all about it:
LAST CHANCE HARVEY - Last Chance Harvey is a thoroughly enjoyable vehicle for its leading actors, Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson. What a pleasure to watch these two stars at work in such compatible roles. Hoffman plays a Los Angeles-based composer of commercial jingles whose career is in jeopardy. He flies to London to attend his daughter's wedding and finds he's just as superfluous there as he seems to be at work back home. His wife has remarried and her new husband is functioning as father of the bride; the bride herself seems to regard her hard-luck dad as something of an interloper. Meanwhile, he chances to meet a cheery airport worker, played by Thompson, whose private life is smothered by her elderly mum. How these two strangers with seemingly nothing in common come to spend time together is the crux of the movie.
With equal doses of charm and intelligence, Last Chance Harvey sets up a situation that's not so far-fetched we can't go along for the ride. Writer-director Joel Hopkins maintains a light touch and shoots London with an eye toward appealing, even romantic, locations we don't often see on film. Hoffman has said that he and his costar made substantial contributions to the script, reflecting their own sensibilities. If so, bully for them. Last Chance Harvey tells a love story about two mature people without becoming overly coy or cute. It's a winning formula called entertainment.  (By Leonard Maltin used with permission)
LAST CHANCE HARVEY  (PG13)

(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
GRAN TORINO  (R) Wow! Could there be another movie out there that succeeds on so many levels? The previews made it look like a riff on Clint's Dirty Harry persona, and, while that much is true, there is so much more going on here! As I tell my Richland film class students, with any fine film, it is a rewarding thing to start peeling away the layers of the onion to expose the underlying dynamics driving the story. This is an unforgettable movie, and one of the best of the year! DO NOT MISS IT!! In fact, many are coming more than once because there are so many wonderful scenes!
GRAN TORINO  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BRIDE WARS (PG) And here is your last chance to see KATE HUDSON and likely Oscar-nominee (for "Rachel Getting Married") ANNE HATHAWAY go at it as former best friends now in competition for their chosen wedding venue!
HURRY!! This ENDS THURSDAY!
BRIDE WARS (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM SKIP...

Richland-at-the-Avon Film Classes resume THURSDAY, Jan. 29th!!

After a long holiday break, we are finally resuming film classes!
This newest entry is the much-anticipated "AMERICANA:  PART 2", the continuation of our film series of movies that celebrate all facets of the American experience!
These films can be virtually anything as long as it fits our course statement!
This class's films are already chosen, and include some very rare and seldom-if ever-seen masterworks!
(I never divulge the movies to be shown beforehand).

You can call Richland's Continuing Education number to enroll now, or just wait until the night of class and come in a little before 6:30 and sign up with an official from Richland there in our lobby.

The Richland-at-the-Avon Film Classes are a great way to meet nice people who have a similar passion for great movies as you do!
The movie is introduced, then shown in full, and then discussed...
(Sometimes those discussions get very lively too!)

The cost for AMERICANA: PART 2 is $80 for the 8 week course.
I know that many of you have heard how absolutely groovy my film classes are, now here is your chance to be a part of it!
CLASS STARTS AT 6:30 on THURSDAYS starting Jan. 29th!!
I'll be looking for YOU this weekend!!!