[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---Aug. 14th. 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Aug 13 11:20:53 EDT 2009

NOTE: If you want to protest last weekend's $5 parking garage fee during Decatur Celebration, scroll down for instructions!
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, AUG. 14th thru THURSDAY,  AUG. 20th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY: THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE (PG13) The Romance of the Summer!!
                       MICHAEL CAINE in "IS ANYBODY THERE?" (PG13) An Avon "Discovery"!!

CONTINUING:      JULIE & JULIA (PG13) MERYL STREEP & AMY ADAMS!! AMBROSIA!!

COMING NEXT FRIDAY: THE HURT LOCKER (R) One of the most highly-rated films of the year! White-knuckle suspense!

COMING SOON: ADAM (PG13)
THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE (PG13) From the hugely popular book comes the biggest love story of the summer! ERIC BANA, who is quickly making a major name for himself, and RACHEL McADAMS, the actress who charmed all of you in "The Notebook" have wonderful chemistry in this hotly-anticipated adaption of that best-selling book. This is going to be a MUST-SEE for all those who are sick and tired of this Summer's special-effects laden folderol, and crude potty-joke "comedy".
Here is an old-fashioned romance!!

THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
JULIE & JULIA (PG13) Well, after Decatur Celebration absolutely killed our business for this gem last weekend, it is heartening to see so many of you coming during the weeknights now that downtown belongs to the merchants again.
MERYL STREEP is chalking up another Oscar-worthy performance as Julia Child, and AMY ADAMS is a absolute wonder!
I know I am rather biased because I think AMY ADAMS is soooooo totally cute, but there ya' go!
The intelligent movie-goer will laugh themselves silly at this one!!
Warning to "mall movie fans": The only thing that blows up in this one is a pot full of lobsters. Plus, no blood and guts either (unless you count boning a duck).
JULIE & JULIA (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
IS ANYBODY THERE?  (PG13) Here is an "Avon Discovery" that is straight from the heart! MICHAEL CAINE delivers one of the best performances of his long career (and that is saying a mouthful!) in a film about life and memory that will long linger in your heart. This is a LIMITED ENGAGEMENT, so, as in all of the films we bring in like that, you MUST NOT DELAY in coming to see it! The smaller movies only have a small window of availability before they have to move on. This has not played in many major cities, but it's here in Decatur this week!
IS ANYBODY THERE?  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON thru WED: 6:15 (ENDS WEDNESDAY!!)
SEASON PASSES ARE BACK!! Look for them for a limited time only STARTING NOW!!
They are now called the "V.I.P. MOVIE PASS" !!
We will only sell a limited amount, so make your plans to get yours as soon as we have them. They won't last long, and, we are not going to sell beyond 100 of them this time. We need to better control them, so we will be limiting the number available.
DON'T DELAY!!
V.I.P. Passes are good for 10 Movies (maximum two people at a time) and are: ADULTS: $70.00 SENIORS (60 and over) $52.50.
NOTE: The Class Enrollment Minimum HAS been met!
Get Signed Up at THE AVON, TONIGHT!!
CLASSES START TONIGHT for...
SILENT MOVIE CLASSES---PART 5!!
STARTS THURSDAY AUG. 13th!! (That's TONIGHT!!)
Taught and Moderated by Skip Huston
EXPLORE THE "ARCHAEOLOGY OF THE CINEMA" !!!

The long-awaited continuation of our popular film and discussion series on the classics of the silent screen!

A 6 WEEK COURSE STARTING TONIGHT, THURSDAY, AUGUST 13th and ending THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER  17th!!

This class and discussion film series will last 6 weeks, and meet every Thursday @ 6:30 PM starting August 13th at The Avon Theatre.
Cost is $60, in cash or check  (no credit cards, please), payable to "Ripper Entertainment".
NOTE: This class is NOT payable through Richland!

Unlike all of our previous film classes, we WILL reveal the movies to be screened beforehand.
(NOT necessarily in order of play!!)

THE IRON HORSE (1924) The recently-restored John Ford masterpiece!
THE LODGER (1926)  Alfred Hitchcock's seminal, and recently-restored classic!

BARDELAYS THE MAGNIFICENT (1926) John Gilbert in this long-thought-lost adventure!

PETER PAN (1924) The ultra-rare silent version of the classic adventure!

THE JAZZ SINGER (1927) The legendary Al Jolson in one of the most important movies in cinema history!

THE IRON MASK (1929) Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. in his recently restored farewell to the silent screen! Features a talking segment done by Fairbanks himself!
Seeing one of the silent classics of the Golden Age in the 1916 vintage Avon Theatre, is a transporting and even rather eerie and remarkable trip through the archaeology of cinema!!

====================================

Come and join us for unforgettable movie experiences, and a lively discussion with fellow film-buffs!  Sign up TODAY!!

(Give this form with your payment to one of the Avon Theatre's Management staff)

SILENT MOVIE CLASS--PART 5 SIGN-UP FORM $60 Cash or Check

NAME:__________________________________________

PHONE:_________________________________________

EMAIL (if any):___________________________________
NEWS ON "THE INFORMANT" COMING SOON!!
WATCH THIS SPACE!!
The preview is currently playing with "Julie & Julia", and the sharp-eyed people can spot some local Decatur people in it!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NOTE: If you wish to protest the $5 parking fee charged for our parking lot during Celebration last weekend, please remember some factors:

1.) This was a city council-voted decision, but it was NOT done by the current city council this year.

2.) The Mayor tried to arrange a "parking validation" system for the Avon, but it was rejected by the Celebration Director.

3.) Next year's Celebration still needs to have council approval to sell the parking garage.

4.) Proceeds from the $5 parking garage fees do NOT go to any charity, but to Celebration.

5.) Letters and/or emails to the Herald & Review about any aspect of Decatur Celebration may be a good idea as well.

Your best bet is to email your Decatur Celebration protests and concerns to:
CITY MANAGER-- Ryan McCrady
rmccrady at decaturil.gov

All of the ordinances by which Decatur Celebration makes many of the downtown businesses suffer are voted on by the city council every year.

I will personally be there to protest when they are next up for vote!!

I will inform all of you, and it would be great to pack the council chamber with people who would like some "modification" of the perimeters by which Decatur Celebration has been operating under.

-Am I "anti-Celebration" ?? Certainly not.

-Am I "pro-NEW Celebration DIRECTION" ?? ABSOLUTELY!

Decatur Celebration is obviously and painfully tired and in need of a fresh new outlook.

There are at least 3 experienced special event producers living in this community that could take over  the direction of Celebration and do a better job for much less money!!
(The current director, Fred Puglia, lives in Springfield, he is NOT a Decatur resident, nor has he ever been or ever intend to be).

Maybe it's just me, but I think that kinda stinks.

Popcorn is hot and ready for you!!

Come See Me Soon!!