[Avon-theatre-news] CORRECTED--Avon Theatre Newsletter

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Apr 9 13:52:47 EDT 2009

Sorry if I am annoying you, folks, but there were some errors and further news clarifications from yesterday's newsletter that needed to be addressed ASAP! That's what I get for sending it out a day early!!!

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, APRIL 10th thru THURSDAY, APRIL 16th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING: KNOWING (PG13) Nicolas Cage in the hit thriller!! LIMITED ENGAGEMENT!

CONTINUING: SUNSHINE CLEANING (R) Amy Adams, Alan Arkin and Emily Blunt!!
                  FAST & FURIOUS (PG13) High-octane fun with Vin Diesel and Paul Walker!!

COMING SOON:
APRIL 17th: STATE OF PLAY (PG13) Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck embroiled in scandal!
APRIL 17th: 17 AGAIN (PG13) Zac Efron and Matthew Perry!!
APRIL 24th: TBA
MAY 1st: X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE (PG13) Summer blockbusters start!
MAY 1st: GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST (PG13) Matthew McConaughey chick flick! Avon "Gold"!
MAY 8th: TBA
MAY 15th: ANGELS AND DEMONS (PG13) Tom Hanks in "DaVinci Code" Sequel!
Memorial Day Weekend,MAY 22nd: TERMINATOR SALVATION (R) Need We Say More??
Memorial Day Weekend,MAY 22nd: NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 2 (PG) Part Two of the Giant Hit!!
JUNE 5th: LAND OF THE LOST (PG13) Will Ferrell Gets Chased by Dinosaurs! (Maybe EATEN too??)
JUNE 12th: THE PROPOSAL (PG13) Sandra Bullock up to mischief!
JUNE 12th: THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (R) John Travolta and Denzel Washington in the '73 remake!!
JUNE 19th: MY LIFE IN RUINS (PG13) A NEW "Big Fat Greek" Movie!! YAY!!!!! Nia Vardolos is BACK!!
JUNE 26th: TBA
JULY 1st: PUBLIC ENEMIES (R) Johnny Depp as Dillinger! Christian Bale as the G-Man after him!
JULY 17th: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG13) NEW HARRY POTTER!!!!
JULY 24th: THE UGLY TRUTH (PG13) Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl!
AUGUST 7th: JULIE AND JULIA (PG13) Meryl Streep as Julia Child! Co-stars Amy Adams!
NOTE: Even though we have promoted it, I made a personal decision to NOT play "OBSERVE & REPORT", which opens on April 10th, because I feel it is not "right" for the Avon.
That is not to denigrate or demean the film in any way, shape or form, but only a nod towards
the unique and discerning AVON THEATRE customer base we must respect and service.
In truth, many times what will work at THE AVON, will not work at the "other guys" and
vice-versa.
We sometimes have to cross that boundary in order to keep new and fresh product on our screens, but, in this case, I chose to not do so.
I hope you understand and respect my decision.
UPDATE--THURSDAY, APRIL 9th
We WILL be discontinuing sales of our 10 Movie "Season Passes" after this weekend!!!

All existing ones will be honored until June 30th but subject to a verification process.

Don't take the chance and get one or two extra this weekend while you still can!
There are only a very few left!!

I am sorry this time-honored tradition at the Avon must be curtailed, but we
have evidence there are fraudulent cards out there, and the only way to protect
ourselves is to STOP them immediately.

Ashley, Sue and I are working on a new type of discount card that would be much more
difficult to counterfeit.
More on that later!
GOOD NEWS!!
The Matinee Prices for Adults of $6.00 have been rolled back to the old $5.50!!
That means ALL matinee tickets are now $5.50 for EVERYONE!!
NOTE: Your credit and debit cards (Visa, MasterCard and Discover) are always welcome at both box-offices and snack bars, however, we would appreciate it if you could keep your credit card purchases at no less than $7.50 per transaction.
Bank credit/debit card processing rates continue to climb, and very soon you may see many merchants stop accepting credit cards, period!

(There are already some who charge a "convenience fee" for credit and debit card transactions).

We have no plans on doing any of that, but would ask that you not use your card for purchases under $7.50.
This is strictly voluntary on your part at this point.
REMEMBER: We are always happy to take your personal check if ready cash is a problem.
SUNSHINE CLEANING (R) Folks, every once in awhile I will drop in a review from a guest critic I admire in order to help build awareness for a movie that I believe deserves more attention. Here is nationally-known critic LEONARD MALTIN in his rave review of "Sunshine Cleaning"...Take it away, Leonard!

SUNSHINE CLEANING - It would be difficult to think of two more talented or appealing actresses working today than Amy Adams and Emily Blunt; their very presence in Sunshine Cleaning made me want to see it, and I'm glad I did. Originally screened at Sundance in 2008, it has been re-edited since then-for the better, according to first-time screenwriter Megan Holley. She was inspired by a story she heard on NPR about two women who had started a business cleaning up messy crime scenes. That's the hook for the movie: the incongruity of two clueless young women tackling such a formidable job is the reason it's being referred to as a comedy. In fact it's a fairly serious film about a sibling relationship and the challenges facing a single mother who's never succeeded at anything in life, including marriage. Yes, there's humor here but I still wouldn't call Sunshine Cleaning a comedy.
Adams plays the longtime loser who's determined to make a success of herself, while Blunt is her slacker sister who gave up trying a long time ago. As the story unfolds we learn one of the main reasons for their behavior patterns. The supporting cast couldn't be better: Alan Arkin plays their father whose business schemes are almost always doomed to failure. Clifton Collins, Jr. is the sympathetic owner of a janitorial supply store. Steve Zahn is a married man who cares about Adams, but not enough to leave his wife.

Sunshine Cleaning is an unassuming movie that delivers satisfying entertainment. Director Christine Jeffs directs both the lighthearted and serious scenes with a deft hand and gets the most out of Holley's screenplay, which was shot in Albuquerque, New Mexico. And it's a pleasure to watch this cast at work-especially Amy Adams and Emily Blunt. ---2009 Leonard Maltin (used with permission)
SUNSHINE CLEANING (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (1:00) - (4:00) Closing Early for Easter Sunday
MON thru THURS: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FAST AND FURIOUS (PG13) Here is the biggest hit in the country, and record-breaker for the largest opening in Hollywood history for this time frame, and guess what? Not too many of YOU are coming to see it at the Avon!
I don't know if all of you think there is going to be gaggles of rowdy teenagers and hooligans, and have decided to give it a "pass", but you would be wrong on those points!
First of all, we do not allow rowdiness in our customers, and Avonia is proudly a "hooligan-free" zone.
I hear the horror stories about the "other guys" not being able to control their trouble-makers, but you have to keep in mind that is THEM, and this is US!
The rowdy hooligan crowd do not come to the Avon because they know we will NOT tolerate misbehavior!
Secondly, you are missing a whole lot of fun by not seeing this movie!
I am keeping it just one more week.
FAST AND FURIOUS (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
SUN:(2:15) - (5:15) Closing Early for Easter Sunday
MON, TUES & WED: 6:40
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
KNOWING  (PG13) This Nicolas Cage movie looks like a cool story that has some of the National Treasure vibe going for it. We had a hole in our schedule before some new arrivals next week, and I thought: Why not give it a try?
It certainly did some big business when it first opened two weeks ago.
In fact, this is one I will definitely make the time to see!
KNOWING  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (2:00) - (5:00) Closing Early for Easter Sunday
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM SKIP...

Congrats to all the winners in the April 7th elections!
It was a tough one, and fraught with mystery and intrigue all the way!
In fact, it was downright fun!!!!
(Although I am sure the embattled candidates didn't see it that way!)

What really troubled me was that less than 25% of the registered voters even bother to vote!

I could jump on a soapbox here, and rail about the brave people who have fought and died for your right to vote, but it really isn't my place to do that...

MOVIES and POPCORN, that's what I do best!
(And I do it better than ANYONE too!)

Come See for Yourself!!