[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS--Oct. 31st

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Oct 30 14:02:34 EDT 2008

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, OCT. 31st thru THURSDAY, NOV. 6th  ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY: CHANGELING (R) The new film from CLINT EASTWOOD!! ONLY at THE AVON!!
                       THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES (PG13) Now, you can see it at THE AVON!!

CONTINUING: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3 (G)

SPECIAL EVENT: HALLOWEEN NIGHT: FREE DOUBLE CREATURE FEATURE @ 10:00 PM!!
                    SEE the classic BORIS KARLOFF "The Bride of Frankenstein"!!!
                    SEE CHRISTOPHER LEE in "Horror of Dracula"!!!
                    FREE on HALLOWEEN NIGHT @ 10:00 PM ONLY!!

                     DEC. 1st: Movie/TV star BRUCE CAMPBELL IN-PERSON with his groovy new movie
                     "My Name is Bruce"--Details SOON!!!

                                           The premiere of THE INFORMANT has been changed to SEPTEMBER of 2009.
                      That's the studio honcho's decision, and not ours!
                      Remember this: "It'll Shine When it Shines"
Nov. 7th: ?????
Nov. 14th: NEW JAMES BOND: "Quantum of Solace" (PG13)
Nov. 26th: AUSTRALIA (PG13) Epic romance with Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman
Nov. 26th: FOUR CHRISTMASES (PG13) Reese Witherspoon & Vince Vaughn for the holidays!!
HELP WANTED!!
That's right, we have openings for LOBBY STAFF
available for Fall / Winter!
Candidates must be available NIGHTS and WEEKENDS,
and HOLIDAYS, No Exceptions!
Must have dependable transportation.
18 years old and up, but we will consider as young as
16 depending on the applicant.
APPLY IN PERSON TO ASHLEY or SUE at the theater!
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
CHANGELING (R) From director CLINT EASTWOOD comes this powerful drama based on a true kidnapping case in Los Angeles of 1928. There is already huge talk of ANGELINA JOLIE for an Oscar nomination for this!
This is an important movie from one of the best living filmmakers! DON'T MISS IT!!
CHANGELING (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES (PG13) FINALLY you can it at the Avon! Two weeks ago, when this first opened, many of you were dismayed that we did not have it. I know that some of you made the trek to the only other theater in the area that had it, but I am betting many of you were waiting and hoping WE would get it!
Well, here it is! QUEEN LATIFAH, DAKOTA FANNING and JENNIFER HUDSON in a heartfelt drama from the much-loved book of the same name.
THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3 (G) It's only the biggest movie in the world right now, and it will make you sing and dance like someone with ants in their pants. Bring the whole family to Decatur's SAFEST theater to see this fun-fest!
HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3 (G)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

 A NOTE FROM SKIP...
Whew!! So, we barely survived the thundering hordes for ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW last Friday and Saturday at Midnight!
If I told you how many we had, you would never believe me, so I won't.

Let's just say, it broke all previous records, and then some!!!!!

Here are some FAQ's (frequently asked questions) from you guys that I thought I would answer now...

Q: How come you sometimes show the preview and display the poster, and then end up not showing the movie??
A: There are a few reasons for this, and let me tell you I hate when it happens...

     1.) Sometimes the film is a "limited release" and there will only be ONE print allocated for the Decatur market. That means sometimes we win, and sometimes we lose. In the case of THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES, we had to wait two weeks while one of the other local theaters played it before we could finally bring it in this week. In this week's case of CHANGELING, we won the toss, and are the ONLY area theater playing Clint Eastwood's newest film! It makes me VERY happy when we win one, but VERY sad when we don't!! :-)

     2.) There are times a trailer will be "attached" to a print that we have no intention of ever playing. We have to grin and bear this because we can get in a boatload of trouble if we remove an attached trailer.

     3.) The fact that we only have 3 screens can really be a problem with getting the right movies during the busy holiday and summer season. We have to make some brutal choices, and, hopefully, make the correct choice most of the time. Remember, the studios mandate at least 3 weeks of play, whether the film is doing any business or not, and we have to abide by that or get in heap big hooh-hah from the studios.

      4.) There are times when the advance news of a film is soooooo bad, we opt to drop it, in spite of having promoted it. This is called "dodging a bullet", and we have done it many times over the past ten years.

Q: Why are you very seldom open very late, even on weekends??