[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Feb 21 14:22:26 EST 2007

WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 23rd   thru THURSDAY, MARCH 1st ONLY!!

OPENING FRIDAY:
AMAZING GRACE (PG) The Stirring and Uplifting True Story of the Amazing Song!
THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND (R) Finally see Forest Whitaker's Oscar-nominated performance as African Dictator Idi Amin!

CONTINUING:
MUSIC and LYRICS (PG13) Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore Make Beautiful Music Together!

SPECIAL EVENT:
THE OSCARS ON DECATUR'S BIGGEST SCREEN FREE!!
Sunday, Feb. 25th @ 6:30 until ??
Crystal-Clear Satellite Feed!!
FREE! FREE! FREE! FREE!!

COMING NEXT:
MISS POTTER (PG) Renee Zellweger and Ewan McGregor Together Again!! (Starts 3/9)

HELP WANTED!!
That's right, we are HIRING!!
We are expanding our staff again, and are looking for candidates for our Lobby Staff!!
You MUST be able to work nights and weekends, NO EXCEPTIONS, and have your own
transportation. You also must be able to lift 50 lbs. bags of raw popcorn.
We prefer college students, but will consider others on their own merits.
COME IN-PERSON TO THE AVON AND ASK FOR SKIP OR SARAH.
(Be prepared to wait a bit if we are busy).
WE ARE FILLING POSITIONS NOW!!! DON'T DELAY!!!
AMAZING GRACE (PG) When was the last time a movie stirred your soul? Can you remember? Well, if you come to see this amazing true saga of the story behind that most venerated of songs, I can tell you that you will be uplifted! I was surprised to hear how many Avon patrons are familiar with this unusual and heroic story. It was a hard-won victory for The Avon to get this film on the national release date, and even more of a victory that we have it EXCLUSIVE (that means the "other guys" don't have it). We will look for your support this weekend!! DON'T MISS IT!!
AN AVON EXCLUSIVE!!

AMAZING GRACE (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND (R) Finally!! Yes, it is FINALLY here! AND...ONLY AT THE AVON!!! With the Oscars on Sunday night, so many of you have been asking when the front-runner for Best Actor was going to come to Decatur... HERE IT IS! Forest Whitaker's towering performance as the African Dictator Idi Amin will rock your world! Why the confusing title? It will all make sense when you see the movie! This also co-stars Gillian Anderson who was "Agent Scully" in that much-lamented TV series "The X Files". Now you can see what all the fuss is about: ONLY AT THE AVON!!!
AN AVON EXCLUSIVE!!
THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (2:15) -(5:15)
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30
(Thursday showtime TBA)

MUSIC and LYRICS (PG13) You know what? I LOVED this movie! And, many of the critics did as well, which is rare since those ignorant
louts hardly ever like romantic comedies! Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore make bee-you-tee-full music together, and, while the story is not that unique, it sure is fun getting there! What has many people amazed is how good the music is! There are at least two songs in this that I can't get out of my head! There is a newcomer in this, Haley Bennett, who plays a Britney Spears-type character, and she is a real wonder! If you are looking for light and romantic, with some catchy tunes that will send you to the CD section of your favorite record department, THIS IS IT!!

MUSIC and LYRICS (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
ODDS & ENDS from Skip
Just some frequently asked questions that I wanted to make sure you were all up-to-speed on...

1.) The parking garage directly across the street is FREE on weekends, and after 5:00 on weekdays. When it IS open, the first hour is free, and then its TEN CENTS an hour after that! So no biggie there...
Those hated on-the-street parking meters are NOT enforced on weekends, or after 4:30 on weekdays.
If you are lucky enough to snag parking right in front of the theater, it is ALWAYS free!

2.) If anyone disturbs your enjoyment of your movie, always come and tell us! It is rude and crude people who are turning many off to the theater experience, and we WILL do something about it, IF YOU TELL US! Don't worry about looking for me or Sue or Sarah, ALL of our people know what to do and will handle the problem! We are not "multiplex hell" where no one does anything to these transgressors. Just tell us. We'll take it from there.

3.) Are you getting our newsletter the way it is supposed to be seen? Make sure your email browser is set to "html" in the receive mode. This is very simple to do, and then you will be able to see what you are reading right now as we mean it to be seen.

4.) Did you know we carry BOTH Coke and Pepsi products?? Not many theaters can do that due to exclusivity contracts, but WE CAN! We don't have both in the fountain, of course, but Coke products are available in disposable plastic bottles.

5.) There was a rumor going around recently that I had SOLD The Avon!! While I do get offers all the time from large theater chains who want to gain a foothold in Decatur, I am not interested in selling out! The Avon is still 100% MY operation, and will remain so!!

On a final note: You may be getting duplicate copies of this newsletter because I am gauging a new newsletter provider to see if it is better than my old one. I am sending the newsletter out using BOTH providers for now. Don't get annoyed, as it won't last forever.

ONE LAST THING: What would YOU like to see at our concession stand? Nachos? Cookies? Hot Dogs? Pizza? Should we try Ice Cream again?
Email me at Skip at TheAvon.com and tell me!
(Remember: We will NOT ever offer hot coffee products for fear it would be spilled on someone in the darkened
theater!)
So, from the uplifting AMAZING GRACE, to the ferocious performance by Forest Whitaker in THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND, to the light and frothy tune-filled MUSIC and LYRICS....
WE HAVE IT ALL THIS WEEKEND!!
COME SEE ME SOON!!!
Skip