[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Fri Feb 16 11:57:10 EST 2007

Hi Folks!
Sorry this newsletter is so late in getting out! With this horrendous weather we have had, it seems all sense of our normal routines have been circumvented! It looks like we will start to warm up in the next day or so, and let's hope that is true!

WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 16th thru THURSDAY,  FEB. 22nd ONLY!!

OPENING THIS WEEK:
MUSIC and LYRICS (PG13) Starring High Grant and Drew Barrymore

CONTINUING:
THE QUEEN (PG13) Starring Best Actress Nominee Helen Mirren
BECAUSE I SAID SO (PG13) Starring Diane Keaton

SPECIAL EVENT:
St. Mary's Hospital Movie Premiere Thursday, Feb. 22nd!
James Garner in THE ULTIMATE GIFT (G)---Details Below!

COMING NEXT WEEK:
AMAZING GRACE (PG) Albert Finney and an amazing cast in an amazing true story!

MUSIC and LYRICS (PG13) Well, finally a romantic comedy the critics actually like!! (But don't let that worry you!)
Hugh Grant is at his screen persona best here, and Drew Barrymore has never been as likable. It even has some pretty catchy music too! This is one of those Avon "date movies" that we do so well with, and, judging by the reaction of the crowds who saw it this past Wednesday and Thursday, it's a real winner!

MUSIC and LYRICS (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 6:30

THE QUEEN (PG13) Helen Mirren is the odds-on favorite to win the Best Actress Oscar for this, and, if you haven't come and seen for yourself, you will feel sooooo left-out on Oscar night when she does win! This is an engrossing film about how Queen Elizabeth dealt with the tragic death of Princess Diana, and all the protocol and politics behind it. It has a kind of "fly-on-the-wall" feel of snooping on these royal personages, and you will be fascinated!
THE QUEEN (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")

BECAUSE I SAID SO (PG13) Diane Keaton's comedy of motherhood and turning 60, has been a real hit with the Avon audiences! It's a lot of laughs and a lot of fun! Now, you have some LAST CHANCE shows for this one, as it ENDS WEDNESDAY!!!

BECAUSE I SAID SO (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30 (Ends Wednesday)
A REAL HOLLYWOOD PREMIERE AT HUSTON'S AVON THEATRE!!!
On Thursday, February 22, at downtown Decatur's historic Avon Theatre, the Friends of St. Mary's Hospital Foundation presents a movie premiere of "THE ULTIMATE GIFT" starring James Garner, Brian Dennehy and Oscar-nominee Abigail Breslin (from Little Miss Sunshine).  The movie, adapted from the book of the same name, is about Jason, a trust-fund brat, who anticipates a big inheritance when his grandfather dies.  Instead, he is given twelve tasks - or "gifts" - designed to challenge him in improbable ways, sending him on a journey of self-discovery and forcing him to determine what is most important in life, money or happiness.

The movie will go into wide release on March 9, but through a special arrangement, St. Mary's Hospital is able to bring it to Decatur prior to release.  The event is a thank you for our current donors, but those interested in attending may do so for a $100 donation to the Friends of St. Mary's Foundation.  That will allow the donor and a guest to attend the premiere of the movie at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, February, with an hors d'oeuvre reception preceding the movie in the City Plaza lower atrium, 410 N. Water St.

To RSVP, call 464-2510.  Attire is "Red Carpet Fabulous."  For more information on the movie, visit www.theultimategift.com.

Huston's Avon Theatre is located at 426 N. Water St. in downtown Decatur!

Parking is FREE in the parking garage directly across from the theater!!

Some Words from the Head Honcho:

There are a couple of points that I have been meaning to address lately, and I thought as long as this newsletter is so late in getting out anyway, this would be a good time...

First of all: PLEASE TELL US IF ANYONE DISTURBS YOUR ENJOYMENT OF OUR MOVIES!!

As The Avon gets discovered by more and more people, we will start to attract some of those who are used to the anything-goes behavior they exhibit at the "other guys".  As so many of you are painfully aware, many of the patrons at the malls and multiplex theaters are lacking in manners and consideration. The "other guys" do nothing to prevent such antics, and, thus these people think it is "acceptable" to talk on cell phones during the movie, and create other types of annoyances. THE AVON HAS A ZERO-TOLERANCE POLICY ON THESE MATTERS, but, YOU need to TELL US!!  We are not monitoring all auditoriums constantly (although we are in there more than you might think), and if we don't know there is a problem, we can't fix it!

Believe me, I just love to "educate" those morons on proper movie etiquette!!

So, rather than endure in silence, come and tell me or one of our people! WE WILL TAKE CARE OF IT!

*******************************

Some of you have asked what happened to the Avon Kid's Club, and that is a good question...

The Avon Kid's Club was something we had done from the very first day of our operation, and, for many it became a monthly event for the little ones.
After 8 years of Kid's Club, I think everyone just assumed it would go on forever...

But, that was not to be.
There were some essential ingredients by which Kid's Club, in its established form, could not exist; and the main one was Gary Strong.

When Gary left us on December 30th, Kid's Club, as you knew it, went with him.
Gary worked tirelessly for us for all those years, and, it finally caught up with him.

When The Avon was a one-screen, weekends-only operation, it was labor-intensive enough...

But, when we went to 3 screens and 7 days a week a couple of years ago, the work became so intensive, it is no wonder that some staffers are falling by the wayside.

The Avon Kid's Club is solely owned by The Avon, and could re-appear under a different format at any time.

Right now, we are discussing how it could be revamped and revitalized.

You will be the first to know!!

You may have noticed a lot of new faces behind our counters lately!

We have one of the best staffs we have ever had right now, and we are proud to say so!!

Our new Assistant Manager, Sarah Sloan, is someone you may recognize if you have been a customer of Country Nutrition for the past several years.

She is older than she looks (she's really almost 45! :-) ) and, has worked at Country Nutrition for quite a long time. I have known Sarah for about 4 years, and was very happy when we were able to entice her to come work for us. She is top-notch, and not afraid of hard work. (Like so many young people seem to be these days!)
In fact, all of our new ones, Jourdon, Mary, Tracy and Whitney are real "keepers". They join Brian, who is our only current holdover from previous staffs. (We will, hopefully, still have our "jewels" Abby and Molly when they are home from school!)

Please make these people feel welcome. They have passed Susan's and I's "acid tests", and we are confident they will serve you better than you have ever been served before!

Come See Me This Weekend!!

The corn is popped, the real buttah is melted, and we looking for YOU!!

Skip Huston