[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Aug 22 02:03:11 EDT 2007

WEEK OF FRIDAY, AUGUST 24th thru THURSDAY, AUGUST 30th ONLY!!

OPENING FRIDAY:
THE NANNY DIARIES (PG13) Starring Scarlett Johansson and Laura Linney
STARDUST (PG13) Starring Robert DeNiro and Michele Pfeiffer (among others)

CONTINUING:
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (PG13) Starring Matt Damon (THE LAST WEEK!!)

COMING NEXT WEEK:
Rob Zombie's wild and wooly re-make of HALLOWEEN (R)
Well, my golly-olly! Can Summer be almost over???
I HATE THAT!
Not only does it signal the end of the hot and sweaty weather I love so much, but it also ushers in the dreaded "Fall Slow-down" of our business!
But, we have a bunch of special events lined up in September and October, including my new Fall Film Class for Richland, "Classic Movie Comedy", and a return of Boston's ALLOY ORCHESTRA to our stage, plus two MIDNIGHT showings of ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (this is the final year with the current Millikin Shadow Cast on the stage), and whatever else comes our way!!
PLUS, did I mention that the Fall/Winter movie season looks FABULOUS??

All in all, I can stand the Winter as long as we don't have another ICE STORM!! Yaaaaaaaaaaah!!!
(And what are the odds of that?)
Famous last words, huh?
-Skip
THE NANNY DIARIES (PG13) From the popular book of the same name comes this funny and charming romantic comedy that securely skewers those who have more money than sense! That is all well and good until these clueless twerps decide to have children!! So, who is there to raise these spoiled-rotten kids??? THE NANNY!! Hot up-and-coming star Scarlett Johansson joins Avon fave Laura Linney (woof!) in this "chick flick" that will have you laughing like crazy!
THE NANNY DIARIES (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

STARDUST (PG13) So, you proved to us last weekend when you came out in droves for our Fri, Sat & Sun matinee-only showings of NO RESERVATIONS, that THE AVON has a LOT of loyal customers!! We used to always take the attitude that if we didn't get a film on the national release date, we had no chance of ever doing any business on it later...WRONG! Here is a movie that needs word-of-mouth for it to find its audience. It has been compared to THE PRINCESS BRIDE. It has also been called the "Best Date Movie of the Summer"...Robert DeNiro (as you have never seen him before) and Michelle Pfeiffer (looking even foxier than she looked in HAIRSPRAY) join an impressive cast for a original fantasy story that isn't a Part Two or a Part Three of something that has already been done! This has been out for 2 weeks at theaters in surrounding areas, but you would think it hasn't by the poor attendance! It deserves to be discovered, and that is why we are playing it! Remember: If it plays THE AVON, there is a 99.9% chance you will love it!  Because...we don't play the garbage!!
STARDUST (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:00) - 7:00
SAT & SUN : (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00
MON thru THURS: 6:30

THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (PG13) After 4 big weeks, I am out of great things to say about this one! Matt Damon, and the always impressive David Stathairn, and Southern Illinois native Joan Allen all give great performances in a move that will have you glued to your seat!! THIS IS THE LAST WEEK, SO GET A MOVE ON!!

THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (PG13)

(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 "bargain Matinees")

 Fall Film Class Information!!

AVON THEATRE for Richland Community College

Classic Movie Comedy - WKS 8648

Sect. 01:  Thurs., Sept. 13 - Nov. 1    Cost:  $80

Place:  Avon Theatre, Downtown Decatur

Instructor:  Skip Huston            Time:  6:30 - 9:00 p.m.

Are you ready to laugh??

We don't mean just a few polite "ha-ha's", we mean really, REALLY laugh??

Well, Avon Theater owner and film historian, Skip Huston, has done it again this time with a hand-picked collection of classic movie comedies that will not only have you bustin' a gut, but also find out WHY some things are so darn funny!

As has always been the policy of this unprecedented series of film screenings and discussions, the movies to be shown are never announced beforehand...

However, you can be assured there will be representations of some of the greatest hilarious moments in movie history!

 Join Skip Huston for 8 weeks with the likes of W.C. Fields, Abbott and Costello, the Marx Bros., Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, and even some films from a bit later, as the Richland-at-the-Avon film classes discover and analyze what makes you laugh out loud!

Don't Let Those End-of-Summer Blues Get You Down!!

At The Avon, It's Always Fair Weather!!

Come See Me!

I'm Looking for You, and You and..........YOU!!

-Skip Huston

Huston's Avon Theatre 3 "Head Honcho"