[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS Sept. 28th, 2018

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Sep 26 18:29:39 EDT 2018

SNEAK PREMIERE!!
THURSDAY, SEPT. 27th @ 7:00PM
ALL PREMIERE SEATS ONLY $5.00!!
smallfoot.JPG
SMALLFOOT (PG)

cid:image001.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0
WEEK OF FRIDAY, SEPT. 28th thru THURSDAY, OCT. 4th ONLY!!
Check out our website at: www.TheAvon.com
Trouble Seeing the Pictures in the Newsletter??
Make sure your email browser is set to "html", not "text only".
  <https://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre>
cid:image002.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0
CLICK ABOVE TO GO TO OUR VITAL FACEBOOK PAGE!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OUR 'QUICK LOOK' SHOWTIMES!!
SMALLFOOTtimes.png
+++++++++++++++++++++
FUN FOR KIDS OF ALL AGES!!
smallfoot.JPG
SMALLFOOT (PG)
An animated adventure for all ages, with original music and an all-star
cast, Smallfoot turns the Bigfoot legend upside down when a bright young
Yeti finds something he thought didn't exist -- a human. News of this
Smallfoot throws the simple Yeti community into an uproar over what else
might be out there in the big world beyond their snowy village, in an all
new story about friendship, courage and the joy of discovery.

SMALLFOOT (PG)
FRI: (4:00) - 7:00
SAT: (1:00) - (4:00) -7:00

++++++++++++++++++++++
ONE FROM THE HEART!!
FROM THE MAKERS OF TV's "This Is Us"!!
LIFEITSELF.JPG

LIFE ITSELF (R)
As a young New York couple goes from college romance to marriage and the
birth of their first child, the unexpected twists of their journey create
reverberations that echo over continents and through lifetimes in Life
Itself. Director and writer Dan Fogelman ("This Is Us") examines the perils
and rewards of everyday life in a multigenerational saga featuring an
international ensemble including Oscar Isaac, Olivia Wilde, Antonio
Banderas, Annette Bening, Olivia Cooke, Sergio Peris- Mencheta, Laia Costa,
Alex Monner and Mandy Patinkin. Set in New York City and Carmona, Spain,
Life Itself celebrates the human condition and all of its complications with
humor, poignancy and love.
LIFE ITSELF (R)
FRI: (5:00) - 8:00
SAT: (2:00) - (5:00) -8:00
SUN: (2:00) - (5:00)
MON, TUES, WED: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++

HELD OVER!!
YOU Wanted to See It at THE AVON!!
SOOOOO.HERE IT IS!!
LIMITED ENGAGEMENT!!
operation_finale_ver4.JPG
OPERATION FINALE (R)
Fifteen years after the end of World War II, Israel's intelligence agency
Mossad and security agency Shin Bet - led by the tireless and heroic agent
Peter Malkin (Isaac) - launched a daring top-secret raid to capture the
notorious Eichmann (Kingsley), who had been reported dead in the chaos
following Nazi Germany's collapse but was, in fact, living and working in a
suburb of Buenos Aires, Argentina under an assumed identity along with his
wife and two sons. Monitoring his daily routine, Malkin and his operatives
plot and execute the abduction under the cover of darkness just a few feet
from Eichmann's home. Determined to sneak him out of Argentina to stand
trial in Israel, Malkin and Eichmann engage in an intense and gripping game
of cat-and-mouse.

Critics Consensus: Operation Finale is well-intentioned, well-acted, and
overall entertaining.

operation_finale.JPG
OPERATION FINALE (R)
FRI: (5:00) - 8:00
SAT: (2:00) - (5:00) -8:00
SUN: (2:00) - (5:00)
MON, TUES, WED: 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SNEAK PREMIERE THURSDAY, Oct. 4th @ 7:00PM
ONE OF THE YEAR'S BEST!!
star_is_born_ver4.JPG
A STAR IS BORN (R)
In this new take on the tragic love story, Bradley Cooper plays seasoned
musician Jackson Maine, who discovers--and falls in love with--struggling
artist Ally (Gaga). She has just about given up on her dream to make it big
as a singer... until Jack coaxes her into the spotlight. But even as Ally's
career takes off, the personal side of their relationship is breaking down,
as Jack fights an ongoing battle with his own internal demons.
Critics Consensus: With appealing leads, deft direction, and an affecting
love story, A Star Is Born is a remake done right -- and a reminder that
some stories can be just as effective in the retelling.
star_is_born_ver2.JPG star_is_born_ver3.JPG

A STAR IS BORN (R)
SNEAK PREMIERE!! THURS, OCT. 4th 7:00pm
(REGULAR SHOWTIMES ANNOUNCED NEXT WEEK!!)
++++++++++++++++++++++
SKIP&SUE.bmp
Skip & Sue Huston

Remakes.

Don't turn your nose up at them.
Remakes are as old as Hollywood itself.
Sometimes they eclipse the original.and sometimes they don't.
And, sometimes, they are every bit as good as all previous versions!

Of course, I'm referring to the upcoming new version of A STAR IS BORN.
The basic story, which was first filmed in 1932 as "What Price Hollywood?"
(you can win some trivia contests with 'How Many Versions of A Star is Born
have been filmed?' with that info!) and filmed as "A Star is Born" in a
non-musical version in 1937 with Janet Gaynor and Fredric March---(to this
day an excellent movie!)

Then, came the staggering musical in 1954 with Judy Garland (in a come-back
attempt) and James Mason.
Watching Judy belt out "The Man that Got Away" in an after-hours cabaret
setting, elevates the entire movie to bona fide classic status alone!

In 1976 was the Barbra Streisand, Kris Kristofferson version that launched
the Oscar winning song 'Evergreen', and has potent energy to spare. Many of
the performance scenes are just pure amazing in their scope. The only truly
'what if?' about this version is that it was originally going to pair ELVIS
with Barbra Streisand!!
Kris Kristofferson does a fine job, but just thinking about Elvis Presley
finally appearing in a good movie is boggling! It may have saved his life!

Now, we come to the current version starring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga.
It has been the darling of the film festivals, and Cooper, directing and
starring (and doing his own vocals) is said to be a revelation. I've never
been a Lady Gaga fan, but she has surprised me. Her rendition of 'The Sound
of Music' done perfectly straight at the Oscars a few years back, made me
realize here was a major talent.

So, that brings me to the point that most of us are: I'm dying to see this
movie!
Unlike the many remake versions of classics like "Ben-Hur", there has NEVER
been A STAR IS BORN version I haven't liked!
(I am pretty sure this won't disappoint!)
I'll be watching it with you next week.
Save me some popcorn!

The ORIGINAL $5.00 TUESDAY!!
tightwad.JPG
The Avon Theater has been YOUR locally owned, family-operated 'hometown
theater' for OVER 101 Years!!
As of April, 2018, we started our 20th Year!!
cid:image008.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0- Skip Huston