[Avon-theatre-news] Avon Theater News JULY 20th, 2018

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Tue Jul 17 22:06:34 EDT 2018

cid:image001.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0
WEEK OF FRIDAY, July 20th thru THURSDAY, JULY 26th ONLY!!
Check out our website at: www.TheAvon.com
Trouble Seeing the Pictures in the Newsletter??
Make sure your email browser is set to “html”, not “text only”.
  <https://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre>
cid:image002.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0
CLICK ABOVE TO GO TO OUR VITAL FACEBOOK PAGE!!
OUR ‘QUICK LOOK’ SHOWTIMES!!
BEATLEStimes.PNG
+++++++++++++++++++++
SPECIAL LIMITED ENGAGEMENT!!
It’s ONLY at THE AVON!!
yellow_submarine_ver2.JPG
The Beatles YELLOW SUBMARINE (G)

Yellow Submarine is an animated meandering journey filled with puns and dry
British humor, where psychedelic music videos take precedent over any linear
story. What little there is of a plot, however, concerns a vibrantly colored
place called Pepperland that resembles the album cover for Sgt. Peppers
Lonely Hearts Club Band come to life. The swirling animation is a mixture of
pop-culture images and modern artistic styles brought loosely together with
a naïve antiwar message and some clever political commentary. The Blue
Meanies take over Pepperland, draining it of all its color and music, firing
anti-music missiles, bonking people with green apples, and turning the
inhabitants to stone by way of the pointed finger of a giant white glove. As
the only survivor, the Lord Admiral escapes in the yellow submarine and goes
to London to enlist the help of the Beatles (voiced by actors). The charming
and innocent boys travel through strange worlds and meet bizarre characters,
including the tagalong Nowhere Man. Several blissed-filled musical sequences
and drug references later, the Beatles drive out the Blue Meanies and
restore Pepperland to tranquility armed with only music, love, and witty
remarks.
Critics Consensus: A joyful, phantasmagoric blend of colorful animation and
the music of the Beatles, Yellow Submarine is delightful (and occasionally
melancholy) family fare.

The Beatles YELLOW SUBMARINE (G)
FRI: (5:00) – 8:00
SAT: (2:00) – (5:00) – 8:00
SUN: (2:00) – (5:00)
MON thru THURS: 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HELD-OVER $5.00 SPECIAL!!
ALL JURASSIC SHOWS FRI, SAT & SUN: ONLY $5.00!
BIGGEST MOVIE ON EARTH!!
jurassic_world_fallen_kingdom_ver8.jpg

JURASSIC WORLD: The Fallen Kingdom (PG13)
It's been three years since theme park and luxury resort Jurassic World was
destroyed by dinosaurs out of containment. Isla Nublar now sits abandoned by
humans while the surviving dinosaurs fend for themselves in the jungles.
When the island's dormant volcano begins roaring to life, Owen (Chris Pratt)
and Claire (Bryce Dallas Howard) mount a campaign to rescue the remaining
dinosaurs from this extinction-level event. Owen is driven to find Blue, his
lead raptor who's still missing in the wild, and Claire has grown a respect
for these creatures she now makes her mission. Arriving on the unstable
island as lava begins raining down, their expedition uncovers a conspiracy
that could return our entire planet to a perilous order not seen since
prehistoric times.
Critics Consensus: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom adds another set
piece-packed entry to the blockbuster franchise. .. genuinely thrilling
moments!!....

JURASSIC WORLD: The Fallen Kingdom (PG13)
jurassic_world_fallen_kingdom_ver3.jpgjurassic_world_fallen_kingdom_ver2.jpg
HELD OVER $5.00 SPECIAL!!
ALL JURASSIC SHOWS FRI, SAT & SUN: ONLY $5.00!
JURASSIC WORLD 2: The Fallen Kingdom (PG13)
FRI: (*4:00 3D) – 7:00
SAT: (1:00) – (*4:00 3D) – 7:00
SUN: (1:00) – (*4:00 3D)
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30 (ENDS WEDNESDAY!)
*NO Extra 3D Charges!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SURPRISE DOCUMENTARY HIT OF THE SUMMER!!
THE MR. ROGERS STORY!!

wont_you_be_my_neighbor.JPG
WON’T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR? (PG13)
>From Academy Award-winning filmmaker Morgan Neville (20 Feet from Stardom),
Won't You Be My Neighbor? takes an intimate look at America's favorite
neighbor: Mister Fred Rogers. A portrait of a man whom we all think we know,
this emotional and moving film takes us beyond the zip-up cardigans and the
land of make-believe, and into the heart of a creative genius who inspired
generations of children with compassion and limitless imagination.

Critics Consensus: Won't You Be My Neighbor? takes a fittingly patient and
honest look at the life and legacy of a television pioneer whose work has
enriched generations.

WON’T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR? (PG13)
FRI: (4:00) – 7:00
SAT: (1:00) – (4:00) – 7:00
SUN: (1:00) – (4:00)
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SNEAK PREMIERE THURS, JULY 26th 7:00 PM!!
mission_impossible__fallout_ver3.jpg
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: Fallout (PG13)

The best intentions often come back to haunt you. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE -
FALLOUT finds Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his IMF team (Alec Baldwin, Simon
Pegg, Ving Rhames) along with some familiar allies (Rebecca Ferguson,
Michelle Monaghan) in a race against time after a mission gone wrong. Henry
Cavill, Angela Bassett, and Vanessa Kirby also join the dynamic cast with
filmmaker Christopher McQuarrie returning to the helm.

Critics Consensus: Fast, sleek, and fun, Mission: Impossible - Fallout lives
up to the "impossible" part of its name by setting yet another high mark for
insane set pieces in a franchise full of them.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: Fallout (PG13)
SNEAK PREMIERE THURS, JULY 26th 7:00 PM!!
(Regular Showtimes Announced Next Week)
+++++++++++++++++++++

Skippy 2nd Grade.bmpSKIPPY2016.JPG
Skippy Huston

We are over the moon about being selected as one of the theaters allowed to
play the new, restored The Beatles YELLOW SUBMARINE (G)!! It’s a limited
engagement, so that probably means only a week. Get your hushpuppies movin
and come immerse yourself in that fabulous music! This is the 50th
Anniversary for it (yes, it’s been that long!), but it hasn’t aged one bit.
Of course, as you all know, The Beatles music is timeless. The trippy images
are still appealing to all ages (in fact, I know some young children who
thought it was great!). Come join us for YELLOW SUBMARINE, and take a trip
back to 1968 when we all had so much ahead for us

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Remember in last week’s newsletter when I talked to you about the politics
and downright frustrating problems of programming the theater?
This week is a prime example: The new MAMA MIA 2: Here We Go Again is being
released in “waves” (or, as the industry calls it “platforms”). We, sadly,
did not make the cut for the first ‘wave’, but we are in the queue for the
next ‘wave’, which could be as early as July 27th.
Stay true-blue to the Avon, and wait a bit for us to get it.
Those “other guys” just don’t hit the bell like we try to do!
We appreciate the loyalty!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Decatur Celebration is quickly approaching, and we still don’t know if we
will be open on a limited basis, or do like we have done the last couple
years, and stay home and float in the pool. (That sounds good!)

After 20 years of Decatur Celebration vis a vis The Avon’s operations, we
realize there is no easy answer here.
It will depend on bookings, and available staff, and the weather.
We’ll let you know next week so you can make plans.
The ORIGINAL $5.00 TUESDAY!!
tightwad.JPG
The Avon Theater has been YOUR locally owned, family-operated 'hometown
theater' for OVER 101 Years!!
As of April, 2018, we started our 20th Year!!
cid:image008.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0- Skip Huston