[Avon-theatre-news] Avon Theater News FEB. 2nd, 2018

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Jan 31 17:29:19 EST 2018

cid:image001.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0
WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 2nd thru THURSDAY, FEB. 8th ONLY!!
Check out our website at: www.TheAvon.com
Trouble Seeing the Pictures in the Newsletter??
Make sure your email browser is set to "html", not "text only".
  <https://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre>
cid:image002.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0
CLICK ABOVE TO GO TO OUR VITAL FACEBOOK PAGE!!
++++++++++++++++++++
OUR "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIMES!!
TONYATIMES.PNG
+++++++++++++++++++++
oscarman.bmp13 OSCAR NOMINATIONS!!
Including "Best Picture" & "Best Actress"

shape_of_water_ver3.JPG

THE SHAPE OF WATER (R)

>From master story teller, Guillermo del Toro, comes THE SHAPE OF WATER - an
other-worldly fairy tale, set against the backdrop of Cold War era America
circa 1962. In the hidden high-security government laboratory where she
works, lonely Elisa (Sally Hawkins) is trapped in a life of isolation.
Elisa's life is changed forever when she and co-worker Zelda (Octavia
Spencer) discover a secret classified experiment. Rounding out the cast are
Michael Shannon, Richard Jenkins, Doug Jones and Michael Stuhlbarg.

Critics Consensus: The Shape of Water finds Guillermo del Toro at his
visually distinctive best -- and matched by an emotionally absorbing story
brought to life by a stellar Sally Hawkins performance.

THE SHAPE OF WATER (R)

+++++++++++++++

oscarman.bmp 3 OSCAR NOMINATIONS!!
Including "Best Actress", "Best Supporting Actress"

i_tonya.JPG
I, TONYA (R)

Based on the unbelievable, but true events, I, TONYA is a darkly comedic
tale of American figure skater, Tonya Harding, and one of the most
sensational scandals in sports history. Though Harding was the first
American woman to complete a triple axel in competition, her legacy was
forever defined by her association with an infamous, ill-conceived, and even
more poorly executed attack on fellow Olympic competitor Nancy Kerrigan.
Featuring an iconic turn by Margot Robbie as the fiery Harding, a
mustachioed Sebastian Stan as her impetuous ex-husband Jeff Gillooly, a
tour-de-force performance from Allison Janney as her acid-tongued mother,
LaVona Golden, and an original screenplay by Steven Rogers, Craig
Gillespie's I, TONYA is an absurd, irreverent, and piercing portrayal of
Harding's life and career in all of its unchecked--and checkered--glory.
Critics Consensus: Led by strong work from Margot Robbie and Allison Janney,
I, Tonya finds the humor in its real-life story without losing sight of its
more tragic -- and emotionally resonant -- elements.

i_tonya_ver3.JPG

I, TONYA (R)

++++++++++++++++
oscarman.bmp2 OSCAR NOMINATIONS!!
Including "Best Picture" & "Best Actress"
4th and Final Week!!

post_ver2.JPG
THE POST (PG13)

Steven Spielberg directs Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in The Post, a thrilling
drama about the unlikely partnership between The Washington Post's Katharine
Graham (Streep), the first female publisher of a major American newspaper,
and editor Ben Bradlee (Hanks), as they race to catch up with The New York
Times to expose a massive cover-up of government secrets that spanned three
decades and four U.S. Presidents. The two must overcome their differences as
they risk their careers - and their very freedom - to help bring long-buried
truths to light. The Post marks the first time Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks and
Steven Spielberg have worked together.

Critics Consensus: The Post's period setting belies its bitingly timely
themes, brought compellingly to life by director Steven Spielberg and an
outstanding ensemble cast
THE POST (PG13)

MON, TUES, WED: 6:30 (ENDS WEDNESDAY!!)

+++++++++++++++
STARTS FRIDAY, FEB. 9th!!
Clint Eastwood delivers another American classic!!
fifteen_seventeen_to_paris.JPG
THE 15:17 TO PARIS (PG13)
In the early evening of August 21, 2015, the world watched in stunned
silence as the media reported a thwarted terrorist attack on Thalys train
#9364 bound for Paris, an attempt prevented by three courageous young
Americans traveling through Europe. The film follows the course of the
friends' lives, from the struggles of childhood through finding their
footing in life, to the series of unlikely events leading up to the attack.
Throughout the harrowing ordeal, their friendship never wavers, making it
their greatest weapon and allowing them to save the lives of the more than
500 passengers on board.

THE 15:17 TO PARIS (PG13)
(Showtimes Announced Next Week!)
++++++++++++++++++++
STARTS FRIDAY, FEB. 9th!
Just in time for a Family-Friendly Valentine's Day!
forever_my_girl.JPG
FOREVER MY GIRL (PG)

Forever My Girl tells the story of country music super-star Liam Page (Alex
Roe) who left his bride, Josie (Jessica Rothe), at the altar choosing fame
and fortune instead. However, Liam never got over Josie, his one true love,
nor did he ever forget his Southern roots in the small community where he
was born and raised. When he unexpectedly returns to his hometown for the
funeral of his high school best friend, Liam is suddenly faced with the
consequences of all that he left behind.

NOTE FROM SKIP: I decided to forego the more tawdry aspects of certain
Valentine's Day movies, and bring one in that the entire family could see
and love.
After all: Valentine's Day is for ALL your loved ones!

FOREVER MY GIRL (PG)

(Showtimes Announced Next Week!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Skip pic.JPG
Skip Huston
So, Oscar Season is almost over, and I'm betting you have some that are your
favorites, and some you are saying "Whaaaa?"
As usual, there are some that are nominated for "Best Picture" that have no
business being there, and there are some that were NOT nominated for "Best
Picture" that certainly DID belong there!
I won't tell you the ones I think should not have been nominated yet. I'll
wait until it's all over. You can get a clue by studying what we DID and DID
NOT play at The Avon, but that's not always 100% reliable either.
As far as those NOT nominated? Or given any kind of award love at all? I
would have to say "WIND RIVER", which was one of my year's favorites.
Why didn't we play it? It was caught up in all that Harvey Weinstein
hoo-hah, and the release was truncated, to say the least.
Try and find it On Demand, or on iTunes, or just BUY IT on Amazon. I
wouldn't steer you wrong!
I WILL be playing it in my summer "Overlooked Films" class, so, if you are
one of my students, you will get to see it as it should be seen; in a
theater.

As far as another rant: I am purposely and decidedly playing the wonderful
FOREVER MY GIRL starting next week. Just in time for Valentine's Day.
And, no, I am NOT playing the latest installment of 50 Shades of Gray.
Everyone else will be playing it, and that's ok by me, but.
I want a little more sweetness and light in my Valentine's Day. I want
something you can bring ALL your Valentines to.
Call me an old-fashioned romantic, but its MY theater, and I'll play what I
want to! (sing that last line to the rock classic "It's My Party"
Hahahahaha).
It's BACK!! The ORIGINAL $5.00 TUESDAY!!
NO SILLY CLUBS TO JOIN!! NO CORPORATE HOO-HAH TO TRAVERSE!!
tightwad.JPG
The Avon Theater has been YOUR locally owned, family-operated 'hometown
theater' for OVER 100 Years!!
IN APRIL of 2018, We'll be in our 20th Year!!
cid:image008.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0- Skip Huston