[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---FEB. 3rd, 2017

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Feb 1 18:15:59 EST 2017

cid:image001.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0

WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 3rd thru THURSDAY, FEB. 9th ONLY!!
Check out our website at: www.TheAvon.com

Trouble Seeing the Pictures in the Newsletter??
Make sure your email browser is set to “html”, not “text only”.
  <https://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre>
cid:image002.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0
CLICK ABOVE TO GO TO OUR FUN FACEBOOK PAGE!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OUR “QUICK LOOK” SHOWTIME PANEL
FEB32017.bmp
NOMINATED FOR AN ASTOUNDING 14 OSCARS!!
WINNER 7 GOLDEN GLOBES!!
*Best Picture *Best Actor (Ryan Gosling) *Best Actress (Emma Stone)
*Best Director *Best Screenplay *Best Song *Best Musical Score
la_la_land_ver3.jpg
LA LA LAND (PG13)  128 Enthralling Minutes
Written and directed by Academy Award (R) nominee Damien Chazelle, LA LA
LAND tells the story of Mia [Emma Stone], an aspiring actress, and Sebastian
[Ryan Gosling], a dedicated jazz musician, who are struggling to make ends
meet in a city known for crushing hopes and breaking hearts. Set in modern
day Los Angeles, this original musical about everyday life explores the joy
and pain of pursuing your dreams.

Critics Consensus: La La Land breathes new life into a bygone genre with
thrillingly assured direction, powerful performances, and an irresistible
excess of heart.

LA LA LAND (PG13)
FRI: (4:00) – 7:00
SAT: (1:00) – (4:00) – 7:00
SUN: (1:00) – (4:00)
MON thru THURS: 6:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
YOU WILL LOVE THIS ONE!!
3 OSCAR NOMINATIONS!!
Including “Best Picture”
hidden_figures.jpg
HIDDEN FIGURES (PG) 127 Inspiring Minutes
HIDDEN FIGURES is the incredible untold story of Katherine G. Johnson
(Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer) and Mary Jackson
(Janelle Monáe)-brilliant African-American women working at NASA, who served
as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch
of astronaut John Glenn into orbit, a stunning achievement that restored the
nation's confidence, turned around the Space Race, and galvanized the world.
The visionary trio crossed all gender and race lines to inspire generations
to dream big.
Critics Consensus: In heartwarming, crowd-pleasing fashion, Hidden Figures
celebrates overlooked -- and crucial -- contributions from a pivotal moment
in American history.

HIDDEN FIGURES (PG)
FRI: (4:00) – 7:00
SAT: (1:00) – (4:00) – 7:00
SUN: (1:00) – (4:00)
MON thru THURS: 6:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ONLY AT THE AVON!!!
3 OSCAR NOMINATIONS!!
Including “Best Actress”
jackie_xlg.jpg
JACKIE (R) 99 Absorbing Minutes
JACKIE is a searing and intimate portrait of one of the most important and
tragic moments in American history, seen through the eyes of the iconic
First Lady, then Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy (Natalie Portman). JACKIE places
us in her world during the days immediately following her husband's
assassination. Known for her extraordinary dignity and poise, here we see a
psychological portrait of the First Lady as she struggles to maintain her
husband's legacy and the world of "Camelot" that they created and loved so
well.

Critics Consensus: Jackie offers an alluring peek into a beloved American
public figure's private world -- and an enthralling starring performance
from Natalie Portman in the bargain.

JACKIE (R)
FRI: (5:00) – 8:00
SAT: (2:00) – (5:00) – 8:00
SUN: (2:00) – (5:00)
MON, TUES, WED: 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++

Skip pic.JPG
Whew! Those Oscar nominated movies have been very good to us!
First, we had the magnificent MANCHESTER BY THE SEA on an EXCLUSIVE basis
for 3 weeks at Christmas time, then came the exquisite LA LA LAND, again on
an EXCLUSIVE basis for 3 weeks (and now in its 5th week with us, by the
way). Now, we are one of the only downstate theaters to play the incredibly
moving JACKIE, and, again, on an EXCLUSIVE basis currently.
There has also been the crowd-pleaser HIDDEN FIGURES, which we do not have
on an exclusive basis, but we topped the competition in ticket sales on it
anyway.
Its been a long and exciting haul!
LA LA LAND will end next week after 5 glorious weeks, and HIDDEN FIGURES
will be packing to go after 5 wonderful weeks too.
We are still not certain if JACKIE will stay around for a bit longer after
this week, or if we will clear the boards completely on Feb. 10th.
Stay tuned on that one!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
STARTS THURSDAY, FEB. 9th!!
50SHADESDARKER.JPG
FIFTY SHADES DARKER (R)

LEGOBATMAN.JPG
LEGO BATMAN MOVIE (PG)

AND??? There COULD be one more starting next week too!
We’ll let you know when WE know!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You can still sign up for classes! You’ve missed the first week, but there’s
still 7 weeks to go!

THE AVON THEATER’S NEW FILM CLASS FOR WINTER 2017:

“HITCHCOCK and Other Masters of Suspense”
Join us for a continuation of our study of Alfred Hitchcock! PLUS, some of
the best Hitchcock films that were NOT made by Hitchcock!
Even after our past 3 full 8 week courses on Hitchcock, there are still some
prime films of his we never covered!
As usual, we never divulge what you are going to see, but there will be a
lot of great movies screened with a discussion afterward.
CLASSES every run every Thursday at 6:30 PM until THURSDAY, March 16th.
Cash, checks or credit cards are accepted.
(Make checks payable to: “TMG LLC”)
NOTE: DO NOT MAIL PAYMENT ON THIS LAST WEEK RUN-UP!!
BRING BY THE THEATER PERSONALLY!!
(Bring this form with you when you sign-up)
NAME:
EMAIL ADDRESS:
TELEPHONE:
HOW MANY ENROLLEES?:
The Avon Theater has been YOUR locally & *AMERICAN owned, family-operated
'hometown theater' for 100 Years THIS YEAR!!
This weekend, I'm looking for ALL of you and, especially...YOU!!
cid:image008.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0- Skip Huston