[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---AUGUST 18th, 2017

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Aug 16 19:05:02 EDT 2017

SECRET PREMIERE!! Thurs, Aug. 17th ay 7:00 PM
ALL PREMIERE SEATS ONLY $5.00!!
A HILARIOUS ALL-STAR CAPER COMEDY!!
Channing Tatum & Daniel (James Bond) Craig (as you've never seen him
before!)
LOGANQUAD.PNG

cid:image001.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0

WEEK OF FRIDAY, AUGUST 18th thru THURSDAY, AUGUST 24th ONLY!!
Check out our website at: www.TheAvon.com

Trouble Seeing the Pictures in the Newsletter??
Make sure your email browser is set to "html", not "text only".
  <https://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre>
cid:image002.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0
CLICK ABOVE TO GO TO OUR VITAL FACEBOOK PAGE!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OUR "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIMES

LOGANLUCKYCORRECTED.bmp
++++++++++++++++++++++
HILARIOUS NEW CAPER COMEDY!!
logan_lucky.JPG
LOGAN LUCKY (PG13)
Trying to reverse a family curse, brothers Jimmy (Channing Tatum) and Clyde
Logan (Adam Driver) set out to execute an elaborate robbery during the
legendary Coca-Cola 600 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Critics Consensus: High-octane fun that's smartly assembled without putting
on airs, Logan Lucky marks a welcome end to Steven Soderbergh's retirement
-- and proves he hasn't lost his ability to entertain.

LOGAN LUCKY (PG13)
FRI: 5:00) - 8:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++
HURRY!! ENDS SOON!!
THE INCREDIBLE TRUE WWII STORY!!
THE BIGGEST MOVIE EVENT OF THE SUMMER!!!
DUNKIRKmain.JPG
DUNKIRK (PG13)
Acclaimed auteur Christopher Nolan directs this World War II thriller about
the evacuation of Allied troops from the French city of Dunkirk before Nazi
forces can take hold. Tom Hardy, Kenneth Branagh and Mark Rylance co-star,
with longtime Nolan collaborator Hans Zimmer providing the score.
Critics Consensus: Dunkirk serves up emotionally satisfying spectacle,
delivered by a writer-director in full command of his craft and brought to
life by a gifted ensemble cast that honors the fact-based story.
DUNKIRK (PG13)
++++++++++++++++++++++++
HELD OVER!!! ENDS VERY SOON!!
HIGHLY ACCLAIMED TRUE STORY OF CANADIAN FOLK ARTIST MAUD LEWIS
MAUDIE.JPG

MAUDIE (PG13)
MAUDIE, based on a true story, is an unlikely romance in which the reclusive
Everett Lewis (Ethan Hawke) hires a fragile yet determined woman named
Maudie (Sally Hawkins) to be his housekeeper. Maudie, bright-eyed but
hunched with crippled hands, yearns to be independent, to live away from her
protective family and she also yearns, passionately, to create art.
Unexpectedly, Everett finds himself falling in love. MAUDIE charts Everett's
efforts to protect himself from being hurt, Maudie's deep and abiding love
for this difficult man and her surprising rise to fame as a folk painter.

Critics Consensus: Maudie's talented cast -- particularly Sally Hawkins in
the title role - breathe... depth into a story of a fascinating life and
talent.

MAUDIE (PG13)
FRI: 7:00
SAT: (1:00) - 7:00
SUN: (1:00) (ENDS SUNDAY!!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HELD OVER!! LAST FEW DAYS!!
HERO.PNG

Sam Elliott in THE HERO (R)
FRI, SAT & SUN: (4:00) ENDS SUNDAY!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SKIPPY2016.JPG

The entertainment news has been all pervasive about the rough summer
Hollywood is having.
I don't know if it makes me feel better to see that EVERY THEATER is having
a tough time.
At least it's not just US!
Truth be told, I'd rather we were ALL doing great business!
(My 2nd choice would be that WE are doing great and the "other guys" are
doing lousy!! Ha Ha Ha Ha)

There is good news on the horizon, though!
Starting right now, and until the end of the year at least, there will be a
LOT of really good movies coming!
I don't know why the Hollywood hotshots dropped the ball with this summer,
but it's pretty much finished now.

The Avon doesn't rely so much on the "mall movies". Our "art house" roots
kick in when there is a shortage of good movies to play, and we bring in
marvelous films like MAUDIE and THE HERO (You all may recall in this very
newsletter, at the beginning of summer, I told you that there would be more
of the "Avon movies" this summer than in previous summers.)

I saw the problems with the release schedules back last Spring, and warned
my trusty staff I thought we were in for a  rocky summer.
Unfortunately, I was correct!
BUT, better times are just ahead!
(And I know some of you just come for our legendary popcorn---with reeeeel
buttah---and the movies are secondary. We are very blessed in that way).

The Avon Theater has been YOUR locally owned, family-operated 'hometown
theater' for OVER 100 Years!!
NOW IN OUR 19th YEAR!!
cid:image008.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0- Skip Huston