[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS--MARCH 18th, 2016

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Thu Mar 17 14:53:33 EDT 2016

TWO SECRET PREMIERES THURS, MARCH 24th!!
*All Premiere Seats Just $5.00!!
First Come First Served!!
BATMANvSUPIE.jpg GREEK2poster.jpg
BATMAN v SUPERMAN (PG13)     MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING 2 (PG13)
*3D Version: 6:30        Greek Wedding Premiere at 6:30 PM ONLY
Standard Version: 7:00
*No Extra 3D Charges!!

NEWSLETTERTOPPER.jpg

WEEK OF FRIDAY, MARCH 18th thru THURSDAY, MARCH 24th ONLY!!
Check out our website at: www.TheAvon.com

Trouble Seeing the Pictures in the Newsletter??
Make sure your email browser is set to “html”, not “text only”.
  <https://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre> FBlogo1.jpg
CLICK ABOVE TO GO TO OUR FUN FACEBOOK PAGE!!
+++++++++++++++++++++
OUR "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME GUIDE!!
Fri, MARCH 18th thru Thurs, MARCH 24th ONLY!!
H&RMARCH18.bmp
++++++++++++++++++++
NOW AT THE AVON BY POPULAR DEMAND!!
One-Week-ONLY!!
LONDONposterA.jpg
LONDON HAS FALLEN (R)  1 hr 39 min
The sequel to the worldwide smash hit "Olympus Has Fallen." The story begins
in London, where the British Prime Minister has passed away under mysterious
circumstances. His funeral is a must-attend event for leaders of the western
world. However, what starts out as the most protected event on Earth turns
into a deadly plot to kill the world's most powerful leaders, devastate
every known landmark in the British capital, and unleash a terrifying vision
of the future. Only three people have any hope of stopping it: the President
of the United States (Aaron Eckhart), his formidable Secret Service head
(Gerard Butler), and an English MI-6 agent who rightly trusts no one.

LONDON HAS FALLEN (R)
FRI: (5:00) – 8:00
SAT: (2:00) – (5:00) - 8:00
SUN: : (2:00) – (5:00)
MON, TUES & WED: 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++
NEW FROM DISNEY!!
ZOOTOPIAposterA.jpg
ZOOTOPIA (PG) 108 family-friendly minutes
The modern mammal metropolis of Zootopia is a city like no other. Comprised
of habitat neighborhoods like ritzy Sahara Square and frigid Tundratown,
it's a melting pot where animals from every environment live together-a
place where no matter what you are, from the biggest elephant to the
smallest shrew, you can be anything. But when rookie Officer Judy Hopps
(voice of Ginnifer Goodwin) arrives, she discovers that being the first
bunny on a police force of big, tough animals isn't so easy.
The brilliantly well-rounded Zootopia offers a thoughtful, inclusive message
that's as rich and timely as its sumptuously state-of-the-art animation --
all while remaining fast and funny enough to keep younger viewers
entertained.

ZOOTOPIA (PG)
FRI: (4:00) – 7:00
SAT: (1:00) – (4:00) – 7:00
SUN: (1:00) – (4:00)
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30
++++++++++++++++++++
MYSTERIOUS NEW THRILLER!!
Excellent Reviews!!
10Cloverfield.jpg
10 CLOVERFIELD LANE (PG13)  1 hr 45
A young woman wakes up after a terrible accident to find that she's locked
in a cellar with a doomsday prepper, who insists that he saved her life and
that the world outside is uninhabitable following an apocalyptic
catastrophe. Uncertain what to believe, the woman soon determines that she
must escape at any cost.
John Goodman in one of his best roles ever!!
10 CLOVERFIELD LANE (PG13)
FRI: (5:00) – 8:00
SAT: (2:00) – (5:00) - 8:00
SUN: : (2:00) – (5:00)
MON, TUES & WED: 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++
SECRET PREMIERE THURS, MARCH 24th!!
*3D: 6:30   2D (standard version): 7:00
ALL PREMIERE SEATS JUST $5.00!!
*No Extra 3D Charges Either!!
BATMANvBANNER.jpg
BATMAN v SUPERMAN: Dawn of Justice (PG13)  2 hr 31 min
Batman (Ben Affleck) and Superman (Henry Cavill) share the screen in this
Warner Bros./DC Entertainment co-production penned by David S. Goyer and
Chris Terrio, and directed by Zack Snyder. Amy Adams and Diane Lane return
as Lois Lane and Martha Kent, respectively.
BATMAN v SUPERMAN: Dawn of Justice (PG13)

THURS, March 24th PREMIERE!!
ALL PREMIERE SEATS JUST $5.00!!
*3D: 6:30
2D (standard version): 7:00
(Starts its regular run on Friday, March 25th)
++++++++++++++++++++
SECRET PREMIERE THURS, MARCH 24th!!
PREMIERE AT 6:30 ONLY!!
ALL PREMIERE SEATS JUST $5.00!!
GREEK2poster.jpg
MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING 2 (PG13)  1 hr 29 min
Gold Circle Entertainment and HBO present a Playtone production of My Big
Fat Greek Wedding 2, the long-awaited follow-up to the highest-grossing
romantic comedy of all time. Written by Academy Award (R) nominee Nia
Vardalos, who stars alongside the entire returning cast of favorites, the
film reveals a Portokalos family secret that will bring the beloved
characters back together for an even bigger and Greeker wedding. Kirk Jones
(Nanny McPhee, Waking Ned Devine) directs the next chapter of the film that
will be once again produced by Rita Wilson and Playtone partners Tom Hanks
and Gary Goetzman. Paul Brooks and Steven Shareshian return to executive
produce alongside Vardalos and Scott Niemeyer. Universal Pictures will
distribute the comedy domestically and in select international territories.
MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING 2 (PG13)
THURS, March 24th PREMIERE at 6:30 PM ONLY!!
(Starts its regular run on Friday, March 25th)
++++++++++++++++++++

Skip pic.JPG

PLEASE READ THIS NOTE, FOLKS!!

It was the Summer of 2002

The Avon Theater had been re-opened by us since April of 1999, but many
people were still not exactly sure what we were doing.
We’d had some art-house hits with movies like “THE RED VIOLIN” and “GOSFORD
PARK” and “AMELIE”, but

Still the general public saw us as some curious effort.
Another stab at bringing another old theater back to life.

Most had only given us 6 months, tops.
Then, by summer of 2002, we’d been open 2 ½ years, and we were defying the
odds.
But could it last much longer, many said.

But, back to the Summer of 2002

A little-known, and not very well-reviewed movie came onto our radar after
it had been in release in larger cities for a month.
It still had not had a wide release, and there were doubts it was even going
to.

We were only open on weekends then, and we thought this might be a likely
candidate for a good weekend movie

So, in the Summer of 2002, on June 21, to be exact, we opened MY BIG FAT
GREEK WEDDING.

That was the very weekend the movie exploded into one of the biggest hits of
the year!!

We ended up playing it for 13 weeks. We had lines around the block for most
of those shows.

We sold $100,000 in tickets (and our prices were quite a bit cheaper in
those days).

But, the best part for me was the look on the faces of the patrons.
It was a look of hope.
It was an understanding that, yes, sometimes you can make a difference with
hard work and dedication.

That summer, we were still reeling by the events of the previous September
11th, 2001.
We needed to laugh.
We needed to smile at funny families, much like our own.
We needed comforting, and to be convinced that everything really WILL be
ok!!

Now, 14 years later, we are so proud to be showing the long-awaited sequel,
MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING 2 next week!
Will lightning strike again?
Will a public jaded by so much insensitivity still be ravenous for the
cinematic equivalent of “comfort food”??

We hope so.
But, it doesn’t matter.
That Summer of 2002 is forged in our DNA, galvanized into our very
foundation.

The Avon Theater will turn 100 years old this year.
We’re proud to have been even a small part of that honored legacy.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!

-Skip and Sue Huston

++++++++++++++++++++
Did you know you can always pull up to the Avon and pick up just popcorn if
you want?
That’s right!
Whenever we are open, just walk in and get some of the best popcorn in the
known universe!!
We not only don’t mind, we find it a great compliment!
The Avon Theater has been YOUR locally owned & family-operated 'hometown
theater' for 100 Years THIS YEAR!!
This weekend, I'm looking for ALL of you and, especially...YOU!!
SkipTan.bmp- Skip Huston
COMING VERY SOON!!
LIGHTposter.jpg