[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---FEB. 26th, 2016

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Feb 24 16:53:13 EST 2016

 NEWSLETTERTOPPER.jpg

WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 26th thru THURSDAY, MARCH 3rd ONLY!!
Check out our website at: www.TheAvon.com

Trouble Seeing the Pictures in the Newsletter??
Make sure your email browser is set to "html", not "text only".
  <https://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre> FBlogo1.jpg
CLICK ABOVE TO GO TO OUR FUN FACEBOOK PAGE!!
+++++++++++++++++++++
OUR "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME GUIDE!!
Fri, FEB. 26th thru Thurs, MARCH 3rd ONLY!!
SHOWSFEB26.bmp
++++++++++++++++++++
BIGGEST HIT MOVIE ON EARTH!!
DEADPOOLposterC.jpg
DEADPOOL (VERY R)   1 hr 40 min
Based upon Marvel Comics' most unconventional anti-hero, DEADPOOL tells the
origin story of former Special Forces operative turned mercenary Wade
Wilson, who after being subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with
accelerated healing powers, adopts the alter ego Deadpool. Armed with his
new abilities and a dark, twisted sense of humor, Deadpool hunts down the
man who nearly destroyed his life.
Fast, funny, and gleefully profane, the fourth-wall-busting Deadpool
subverts superhero film formula with wildly entertaining -- and decidedly
non-family-friendly -- results.
A NOTE FROM SKIP: This one is NOT for the kids, folks. It's not for anyone
who is offended at raunchy R-rated humor.
DEADPOOL (VERY R)
SUN: : (2:00) - (5:00)
MON thru THURS: 6:30
++++++++++++++++++++
BIG ACTION ADVENTURE!!
GODSposterB.jpg
GODS OF EGYPT (PG13)   2 hr 7 min.
In this spectacular action-adventure inspired by the classic mythology of
Egypt, the survival of mankind hangs in the balance as an unexpected mortal
hero Bek [Brenton Thwaites] undertakes a thrilling journey to save the world
and rescue his true love. In order to succeed, he must enlist the help of
the powerful god Horus [Nikolaj Coster-Waldau] in an unlikely alliance
against Set [Gerard Butler], the merciless god of darkness, who has usurped
Egypt's throne, plunging the once peaceful and prosperous empire into chaos.

GODS OF EGYPT (PG13)

FRI: (*4:00 3D) - 7:00
SAT: (1:00) - (*4:00 3D) - 7:00
SUN: : (1:00) - (*4:00 3D)
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30
*NO EXTRA CHARGE FOR OUR EXCELLENT 3D!!
++++++++++++++++++++
PERFECT FOR THE AVON CROWD!!
LADYquad.jpg
THE LADY IN THE VAN (PG13)   1 hr 40 min.

This film tells the true story of the relationship between Alan Bennett and
the singular Miss Shepherd, a woman of uncertain origins who 'temporarily'
parked her van in Bennett's London driveway and proceeded to live there for
15 years.

Led by a marvelous performance from Maggie Smith, Lady in the Van wrings
poignant, often hilarious insight from its fact-based source material.

THE LADY IN THE VAN (PG13)
SUN: : (1:00) - (4:00)
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30 (ENDS WEDNESDAY!!)

.++++++++++++++++++++
NEW FROM DISNEY!!
"Secret Premiere" Thurs, March 3rd at 7:00 PM ONLY!
ZOOTOPIAposterA.jpg
ZOOTOPIA (PG) 108 family-friendly minutes
The modern mammal metropolis of Zootopia is a city like no other. Comprised
of habitat neighborhoods like ritzy Sahara Square and frigid Tundratown,
it's a melting pot where animals from every environment live together-a
place where no matter what you are, from the biggest elephant to the
smallest shrew, you can be anything. But when rookie Officer Judy Hopps
(voice of Ginnifer Goodwin) arrives, she discovers that being the first
bunny on a police force of big, tough animals isn't so easy.

ZOOTOPIA (PG)
SECRET PREMIERE THURS, MARCH 3rd at 7:00 PM ONLY!!

++++++++++++++++++++

SkipJan31A.bmp

The Oscars have always been like the Super Bowl around our house!
And, this Sunday at 7:30, is the kick-off!!

To be sure, just like the Super Bowl, there have been better years, and
there have been worse years.
But, I always love every minute!!

Since I know you have been deluged with all the critics naming their
favorites, and who will win and who will lose.
I decided to weigh in on JUST the Best Picture!

Here are the nominees, and my comments:
(listed in no particular order)

1.) BRIDGE OF SPIES--- Played the Avon for 5 weeks. A great, and old-fashion
Spielberg movie about a real cold war incident. IT WON'T WIN.

2.) MAD MAX: FURY ROAD---Played the Avon for 3 weeks in 3D and 2D. I love
the Mad Max movies, and I was waiting 30 years for there to be a new one! I
missed Mel Gibson in the role that made him famous, but time marches on. IT
WON'T WIN.

3.) THE REVENANT---Played the Avon for 4 weeks. What a "wow" of a movie! It
will win several Oscars (its nominated for 12!!), but as for Best Picture?
IT WON'T WIN.

4.) SPOTLIGHT---Did not play the Avon. Newspaper stories are some of my
favorite films. This one is in a league with "All The President's Men", with
a terrific ensemble cast, and a stunning true story. WILL WIN.

5.) THE MARTIAN---Played the Avon for 5 weeks in 3D and 2D. I was shocked my
favorite living director, Ridley Scott, was not nominated for Best Director,
but this is a marvelous movie that transcends the sci-fi medium so
gracefully. IT WON'T WIN.

6.) THE BIG SHORT---Played the Avon for 3 weeks. A fabulous, star-studded
ensemble cast and the story of the economic melt-down in 2008.
In some ways a companion piece to "Spotlight". MAY WIN.

7.) ROOM---I didn't see this since it only played at the "other guys" for
one week, and I refuse to go there. We TRIED to play it, but the tiny,
little studio thought the big multibox theaters were its best bet. Big
Mistake! Its available on video now. IT WON'T WIN.

8.) BROOKLYN---Played the Avon for 5 weeks. This glorious romance movie
really touched the Avon crowd's heart. It was a quality film through and
through. It deserved to be among these nominees. IT WON'T WIN.

So, there you have it!

I'm calling SPOTLIGHT as the Best Picture Oscar Winner!!

(And, THE BIG SHORT as the possible upset.)

We'll see how I did on SUNDAY NIGHT!!

The Avon Theater has been YOUR locally owned & family-operated 'hometown
theater' for 100 Years THIS YEAR!!
This weekend, I'm looking for ALL of you and, especially...YOU!!
SkipTan.bmp- Skip Huston

LOCAL.bmp