[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---FEB. 19th, 2016

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Feb 17 14:50:11 EST 2016

NEWSLETTERTOPPER.jpg

WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 19th thru THURSDAY, FEB. 25th ONLY!!
Check out our website at: www.TheAvon.com

Trouble Seeing the Pictures in the Newsletter??
Make sure your email browser is set to "html", not "text only".
  <https://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre> FBlogo1.jpg
CLICK ABOVE TO GO TO OUR FUN FACEBOOK PAGE!!
+++++++++++++++++++++
OUR "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME GUIDE!!
Fri, FEB. 19th thru Thurs, Feb. 25th ONLY!!

FEB19SHOWS.bmp

++++++++++++++++++++
YOU ASKED FOR IT.YOU GOT IT!
Now you can see the new movie from the Coen Bros at THE AVON.
Where it should've been all along!!
HAILposter.jpg
HAIL CAESAR! (PG13)   1 hr 45 min
Four-time Oscar (R)-winning filmmakers Joel and Ethan Coen (No Country for
Old Men, True Grit, Fargo) write and direct Hail, Caesar!, an all-star
comedy set during the latter years of Hollywood's Golden Age. Starring Josh
Brolin, George Clooney, Alden Ehrenreich, Ralph Fiennes, Jonah Hill,
Scarlett Johansson, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton and Channing Tatum,
Hail, Caesar! follows a single day in the life of a studio fixer who is
presented with plenty of problems to fix.

Packed with period detail and perfectly cast, Hail, Caesar! finds the Coen
brothers delivering an agreeably lightweight love letter to post-war
Hollywood.

HAIL CAESAR! (PG13).
SUN: : (1:00) - (4:00)
MON thru THURS: 7:15

++++++++++++++++++++
PERFECT FOR THE AVON CROWD!!
LADYquad.jpg
THE LADY IN THE VAN (PG13)   1 hr 40 min.

This film tells the true story of the relationship between Alan Bennett and
the singular Miss Shepherd, a woman of uncertain origins who 'temporarily'
parked her van in Bennett's London driveway and proceeded to live there for
15 years.

Led by a marvelous performance from Maggie Smith, Lady in the Van wrings
poignant, often hilarious insight from its fact-based source material.

THE LADY IN THE VAN (PG13)
SUN: : (1:45) - (4:45)
MON thru THURS: 6:30

.++++++++++++++++++++
HILARIOUS NEW COMEDY!!
SINGLEA.jpg
HOW TO BE SINGLE (R) 110 side-splitting minutes
A young woman searches for love in New York City in this romantic comedy
based on the novel by Liz Tuccillo, and produced by Drew Barrymore.
New York City is full of lonely hearts seeking the right match, and what
Alice, Robin, Lucy, Meg, Tom and David all have in common is the need to
learn how to be single in a world filled with ever-evolving definitions of
love.

HOW TO BE SINGLE (R)
SUN: : (2:00) - (5:00)
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30

++++++++++++++++++++

SkipJan31A.bmp

So, Oscar season is well upon us!
The Avon has always paid a lot of attention to Oscar season.

So, while those "other guys" pump the latest new cinema hoo-hah (most of
which won't get within 500 miles of Oscar consideration next year!),

We, at THE AVON, are very excited about the Oscars!

ESPECIALLY THIS YEAR!

It's really difficult to try to guess the winners this year, since in recent
years the Oscars have been too bound up by political correctness, art-house
myopia and just general flavor-of-the-week nonsense.

This year is very contentious and competitive, and should make for great
viewing!

At the Huston house, we treat the Oscars as "our" SuperBowl.
We plan the snacks, the beverages, turn OFF the damn cell phones and fire up
the 8 foot screen in our basement theater hours earlier; (just making sure
everything is working correctly, and the 2 subwoofers are woofing, and all
surround speakers balanced.)

It's just like being there!

Now, before some of you jump on your emails about this: YES, once upon a
time we DID do a few years of Oscar parties at the Avon.
It was really something to see them on Decatur's biggest screen!
BUT.the first time we did it, we had a big crowd, but there were technical
difficulties, and the broadcast picture and sound looked terrible!
The 2nd time we did it, we had installed DirecTV on the roof, and had a
perfect picture with fabulous sound.yet hardly anyone came!

I decided my beloved Oscars were best spent the way I've done them since I
was a little boy.at HOME.
(Besides, a huge storm blew the DirecTV dish off the theater roof a few
years ago, so I took that as a sign from heaven!)

Here's a few Oscar tidbits for you: I have video recorded EVERY Oscar show
since 1979, and have some incredible moments that will probably never be
seen again. I started with VHS, but started transferring them to DVD a few
years ago. Cool stuff.

In next week's newsletter, I will TRY to tell you how I think the major
winners are going to go.
Since my favorite living director, Ridely Scott, was shockingly not
nominated, I have a pretty good idea how most of the major awards will fall
in.
(But, "BEST PICTURE" is a real toughie! Oddsmakers have THE BIG SHORT as the
winner, but we know how that can go!)

WE'LL FIND OUT SUNDAY, FEB. 28th at the 88th Annual Academy Awards!
I can't wait!!
The Avon Theater has been YOUR locally owned & family-operated 'hometown
theater' for 100 Years THIS YEAR!!
This weekend, I'm looking for ALL of you and, especially...YOU!!
SkipTan.bmp- Skip Huston

LOCAL.bmp