[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---FEB. 5th, 2016

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Feb 3 14:21:21 EST 2016

 NEWSLETTERTOPPER.jpg

WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 5th thru THURSDAY, FEB. 11th ONLY!!
Check out our website at: www.TheAvon.com

Trouble Seeing the Pictures in the Newsletter??
Make sure your email browser is set to "html", not "text only".
  <https://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre> FBlogo1.jpg
CLICK ABOVE TO GO TO OUR FUN FACEBOOK PAGE!!
+++++++++++++++++++++
OUR "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME GUIDE!!
Fri, FEB. 5th thru Thurs, Feb. 11th ONLY!!

SHOWSFEB205.JPG

++++++++++++++++++++
#1 MOVIE IN AMERICA!!
Bring the Kids of ALL AGES!!
PANDAposter.jpg
KUNG FU PANDA 3 (PG)   1 hr 40 min
In 2016, one of the most successful animated franchises in the world returns
with its biggest comedy adventure yet, KUNG FU PANDA 3. When Po's long-lost
panda father suddenly reappears, the reunited duo travels to a secret panda
paradise to meet scores of hilarious new panda characters. But when the
supernatural villain Kai begins to sweep across China defeating all the kung
fu masters, Po must do the impossible-learn to train a village full of his
fun-loving, clumsy brethren to become the ultimate band of Kung Fu Pandas!
Kung Fu Panda 3 boasts the requisite visual splendor, but like its rotund
protagonist, this sequel's narrative is also surprisingly nimble, adding up
to animated fun for the whole family.

KUNG FU PANDA 3 (PG).
FRI: (*4:00 3D) - 7:00
SAT: (1:00) - (*4:00 3D) - 7:00
SUN: (1:00) - (*4:00 3D)

MON thru THURS: 6:30
* NO EXTRA 3D CHARGES FOR OUR EXCELLENT 3D!!

++++++++++++++++++++
oscarman.bmp5 OSCAR NOMINATIONS!! oscarman.bmp
(including "Best Picture" & "Best Supporting Actor")
EXCLUSIVE LIMITED ENGAGEMENT!
One-Week-Only!!
BIGSGORTposterZ.JPG
THE BIG SHORT (R)   2 hr 10 min
Writer/director Adam McKay joins forces with Paramount Pictures and Plan B
Entertainment to adapt Michael Lewis' best-seller The Big Short: Inside the
Doomsday Machine, which centers on the housing a credit bubble of the 2000s.

The Big Short approaches a serious, complicated subject with an impressive
attention to detail -- and manages to deliver a well-acted, scathingly funny
indictment of its real-life villains in the bargain.

THE BIG SHORT (R)
FRI: 7:00
SAT: (1:00) - 7:00
SUN: (1:00)

MON thru THURS: 6:30 (ENDS THURSDAY!!)

++++++++++++++++++++

TRUE 1952 RESCUE MISSION!!
FINESTHOURSposterA.jpg
THE FINEST HOURS (PG13) 117 breath-taking minutes.
In February of 1952, one of the worst storms to ever hit the East Coast
struck New England, damaging an oil tanker off the coast of Cape Cod and
literally ripping it in half. On a small lifeboat faced with frigid
temperatures and 70-foot high waves, four members of the Coast Guard set out
to rescue the more than 30 stranded sailors trapped aboard the
rapidly-sinking vessel. Casey Sherman and Michael J. Tougias' book detailing
the daring 1952 Coast Guard rescue off the New England seaboard comes to the
screen in this Disney film produced by Jim Whitaker (Take Me Home Tonight,
The Odd Life of Timothy Green). James Tamasy and Eric Johnson team to pen
the screenplay.
THE FINEST HOURS (PG13)

++++++++++++++++++++
oscarman.bmpNOMINATED FOR 3 OSCARS! oscarman.bmp
Including "BEST PICTURE" & "BEST ACTRESS"
THE AVON CROWD LOVES THIS MOVIE!!
BROOKLYNquad.jpg
BROOKLYN (PG13)   111 min.
ENDS SUNDAY!!
Eilis Lacey followed her sister, Rose's, plan to leave Ireland and find a
better future and job in the US. She departs terribly, enduring seasickness
and a terrible relationship with her cabin mates. A kind traveler gives her
advice to live in Brooklyn, where many Irish immigrants live. Eilis settles
in Brooklyn and becomes close to Father Flood, a Catholic priest. She gets a
job in a department store and falls in love with an Italian boy named Tony.
News from home sends Eilis back to Ireland, away from Tony.
An old-fashion love story that you will long remember! An instant classic!
BROOKLYNposterA.jpgBROOKLYNposterB.jpg
BROOKLYN (PG13)
FRI, SAT & SUN: (4:00)  (ENDS SUNDAY!!)
+++++++++++++++++++++

Skip&Marquee.jpg

It was with profound appreciation I accepted a memorial from long-time Avon
customer Ann Seidman last week.
Ann's Colorado film-buff friend, Karen Jones, had always wanted to visit The
Avon, but time ran out for her on Jan. 7th.
Ann and her family decided to give a donation in Karen's name to The Avon
Theater.
Needless to say, I was very touched.
Somewhere in movie lover heaven, Karen Jones is smiling.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
And, speaking of mortality.
As I write this, it is Wednesday, Feb. 3rd.
My Mother, Sally Huston, passed into eternity 2 years ago today.
She was 87, and had been in poor health for quite some time.

I remember a quote she would often paraphrase, but never told my sister or I
the actual source of it:

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it."

It wasn't until soon after her death that my attorney, Frank Byers II, told
me it was from Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

My big sister, Stephani Cox (Huston) would read Mom my newsletter every
week.
So, here's a newsletter piece Mom can read herself in the mansions of
paradise.
We all love & miss you, Mom.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Avon Theater has been YOUR locally owned & family-operated 'hometown
theater' for 100 Years THIS YEAR!!
This weekend, I'm looking for ALL of you and, especially...YOU!!
SkipTan.bmp- Skip Huston
++++++++++++++++++++++
STARTS FRIDAY, FEB. 12th:
YOUTH (R)