[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS--SEPT. 2nd, 2016

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Aug 31 18:40:26 EDT 2016

NEW AVON FILM CLASS STARTS
THURS, SEPT. 15TH!! DETAILS BELOW!!

cid:image001.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0

WEEK OF FRIDAY, SEPT. 2nd  thru THURSDAY, SEPT. 8th  ONLY!!
Check out our website at: www.TheAvon.com

Trouble Seeing the Pictures in the Newsletter??
Make sure your email browser is set to “html”, not “text only”.
  <https://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre> cid:image002.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0
CLICK ABOVE TO GO TO OUR FUN FACEBOOK PAGE!!
OUR “QUICK LOOK” SHOWTIME PAGE
EXTENDED LABOR DAY WEEKEND HOURS!!
SEPTQUICKLOOK.png
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FLORENCE.jpg
A wealthy New York heiress (Meryl Streep) attempts to become an opera singer despite her horrible singing voice. Hugh Grant and Rebecca Ferguson co-star in this biopic directed by Stephen Frears.
 Florence Foster Jenkins makes poignant, crowd-pleasing dramedy out of its stranger-than-fiction tale -- and does its subject justice with a reliably terrific turn from star Meryl Streep.

FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS (PG13)
FRI: (4:00) – 7:00
SAT, SUN & MON (Labor Day): (2:00) – (5:00) – 8:00
TUES, WED & THURS: 6:30
+++++++++++++++++
THE HIT SENSATION FROM NEW ZEALAND!!
99% ON THE TOMATO METER!! THIS IS A DON’T MISS MOVIE!!
HUNTposter.jpg
HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE (PG13)
Raised on hip-hop and foster care, defiant city kid Ricky gets a fresh start in the New Zealand countryside. He quickly finds himself at home with his new foster family: the loving Aunt Bella, the cantankerous Uncle Hec, and dog Tupac. When a tragedy strikes that threatens to ship Ricky to another home, both he and Hec go on the run in the bush. As a national manhunt ensues, the newly branded outlaws must face their options: go out in a blaze of glory or overcome their differences and survive as a family. Equal parts road comedy and rousing adventure story, director Taika Waititi (WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS, upcoming THOR: RAGNORAK) masterfully weaves lively humor with emotionally honest performances by Sam Neill and Julian Dennison. A hilarious, touching crowd-pleaser, HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE reminds us about the journey that growing up is (at any age) and those who help us along the way.

The charmingly offbeat Hunt for the Wilderpeople unites a solid cast, a talented filmmaker, and a poignant, funny, deeply affecting message.

HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE (PG13)
FRI: (5:00) – 8:00
SAT, SUN & MON (LABOR DAY): (2:00) – (5:00) – 8:00
TUES, WED & THURS: 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
cafe_society.jpg
CAFÉ’ SOCIETY (PG13)
Set in the 1930s, this bittersweet romance CAFÉ’SOCIETY follows Bronx-born Bobby Dorfman (Jesse Eisenberg) to Hollywood, where he falls in love, and back to New York, where he is swept up in the vibrant world of high society nightclub life. Centering on events in the lives of Bobby's colorful Bronx family, the film is a glittering valentine to the movie stars, socialites, playboys, debutantes, politicians, and gangsters who epitomized the excitement and glamour of the age.

Café’Society's lovely visuals and charming performances round out a lightweight comedy whose genuine pleasures offset its amiable predictability.

CAFÉ’ SOCIETY (PG13)
FRI: (5:00) – 8:00
SAT, SUN & MON (LABOR DAY): (2:00) – (5:00) – 8:00
TUES & WED: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++

SKIPPY2016.JPG
LABOR DAY!!
The traditional end of summer! (grrrrrrrrr)
There are some good things that come with the end of summer…

1.)   The superhero movies finally take a breather and the Oscar caliber movies begin!

2.)   My new Fall Film Classes begin!
And here are the details…

AVON FILM CLASSES RESUME!!
Starts THURS, Sept. 15th thru THURS, Nov. 3rd---ALWAYS AT 6:30 PM
8 WEEKS OF SCREENING AND DISCUSSION FOR ONLY $80!!
POLITICS AT THE MOVIES---PART 3

For the last two Presidential election years, we have presented a series of fine films about politics in America.
There will be some classics, and some very recent films shown and discussed.

As always, we don’t tell you what you’re going to see beforehand, but, after 17 years of these classes, I think its
pretty well established we are in tune with what will intrigue you.

However, in this case, we do pledge there will be NO agenda or preference or discussion of any of this year’s candidates.
We show you great movies about our honored governmental system, and then let you make up your own mind on election day.

SIGN UP NOW AT OUR BOX OFFICE!!
Flyers and enrollment forms will be in the lobby this weekend!
The Avon Theater has been YOUR locally owned & family-operated 'hometown theater' for 100 Years THIS YEAR!!
This Labor Day weekend, I'm looking for you, you and, especially...YOU!!
cid:image008.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0- Skip Huston
3750moon.jpg