[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---AUG. 19th, 2016

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Tue Aug 16 21:38:37 EDT 2016

cid:image001.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0

WEEK OF FRIDAY, AUG. 19th  thru THURSDAY, AUG.  25th ONLY!!
Check out our website at: www.TheAvon.com

Trouble Seeing the Pictures in the Newsletter??
Make sure your email browser is set to “html”, not “text only”.
  <https://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre>
cid:image002.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0
CLICK ABOVE TO GO TO OUR FUN FACEBOOK PAGE!!

+++++++++++++++++
OUR "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME GUIDE!!
Fri, AUG. 19th thru Thurs, AUG. 25th ONLY!!
AUG19TIMES.bmp
+++++++++++++++++
AN AVON EXCLUSIVE!!
HIGHLY-ACCLAIMED!!
indignation.jpg

INDIGNATION (R)
Based on Philip Roth's late novel, Indignation takes place in 1951, as
Marcus Messner (Logan Lerman), a brilliant working class Jewish boy from
Newark, New Jersey, travels on scholarship to a small, conservative college
in Ohio, thus exempting him from being drafted into the Korean War. But once
there, Marcus's growing infatuation with his beautiful classmate Olivia
Hutton (Sarah Gadon), and his clashes with the college's imposing Dean,
Hawes Caudwell (Tracy Letts), put his and his family's best laid plans to
the ultimate test.

Indignation proves it's possible to put together an engaging Philip Roth
adaptation -- and offers a compelling calling card for debuting
writer-director James Schamus.

INDIGNATION (R)
FRI: (5:00) – 8:00
SAT: (2:00) – (5:00) – 8:00
SUN: (2:00) – (5:00)
MON thru THURS: 7:30
++++++++++++++++
PETESPOSTER.jpg
PETE’S DRAGON (PG)
A reimagining of Disney's cherished family film, "Pete's Dragon" is the
adventure of an orphaned boy named Pete and his best friend Elliott, who
just so happens to be a dragon. "Pete's Dragon" stars Bryce Dallas Howard
("Jurassic World"), Oakes Fegley ("This is Where I Leave You"), Wes Bentley
("The Hunger Games"), Karl Urban ("Star Trek"), Oona Laurence ("Southpaw")
and Oscar (R) winner Robert Redford ("Captain America: The Winter Soldier").
The film, which is directed by David Lowery ("Ain't Them Bodies Saints"), is
written by Lowery & Toby Halbrooks based on a story by Seton I. Miller and
S.S. Field and produced by Jim Whitaker, p.g.a. ("The Finest Hours," "Friday
Night Lights"), with Barrie M. Osborne ("The Lord of the Rings: The
Fellowship of the Ring," "The Great Gatsby") serving as executive producer.
For years, old wood carver Mr. Meacham (Robert Redford) has delighted local
children with his tales of the fierce dragon that resides deep in the woods
of the Pacific Northwest. To his daughter, Grace (Bryce Dallas Howard), who
works as a forest ranger, these stories are little more than tall
tales...until she meets Pete (Oakes Fegley). Pete is a mysterious
10-year-old with no family and no home who claims to live in the woods with
a giant, green dragon named Elliott. And from Pete's descriptions, Elliott
seems remarkably similar to the dragon from Mr. Meacham's stories. With the
help of Natalie (Oona Laurence), an 11-year-old girl whose father Jack (Wes
Bentley) owns the local lumber mill, Grace sets out to determine where Pete
came from, where he belongs, and the truth about this dragon.
Pete's Dragon continues Disney's current live-action winning streak with an
update that gives the original a visual overhaul without overwhelming its
sweet, soulful charm.
PETE’S DRAGON (PG)
FRI: (4:00) – 7:00
SAT: (1:00) – (4:00) – 7:00
SUN: (1:00) – (4:00)
MON thru THURS: 6:45
+++++++++++++++++
SUICIDE.jpg
SUICIDE SQUAD (PG13)
>From director David Ayer ("Fury," "End of Watch") comes "Suicide Squad,"
starring Oscar nominee Will Smith ("Ali," "The Pursuit of Happyness"), Oscar
winner Jared Leto ("Dallas Buyers Club"), Margot Robbie ("The Wolf of Wall
Street," "Focus"), Joel Kinnaman (Netflix's "House of Cards") and Oscar
nominee Viola Davis ("The Help," "Doubt"). It feels good to be bad...
Assemble a team of the world's most dangerous, incarcerated Super Villains,
provide them with the most powerful arsenal at the government's disposal,
and send them off on a mission to defeat an enigmatic, insuperable entity.
U.S. intelligence officer Amanda Waller has determined only a secretly
convened group of disparate, despicable individuals with next to nothing to
lose will do. However, once they realize they weren't picked to succeed but
chosen for their patent culpability when they inevitably fail, will the
Suicide Squad resolve to die trying, or decide it's every man for himself?

SUICIDE SQUAD (PG13)
FRI: (5:00) – 8:00
SAT: (2:00) – (5:00) – 8:00
SUN: (2:00) – (5:00)
MON thru THURS: 7:30
+++++++++++++++++
STARTS FRI, AUG 26th!! AN AVON EXCLUSIVE!!
THE HILARIOUS SENSATION FROM NEW ZEALAND!!
99% ON THE TOMATO METER!!
THIS IS A DON’T MISS MOVIE!!
HUNTquad.jpg
HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE (PG13)
Raised on hip-hop and foster care, defiant city kid Ricky gets a fresh start
in the New Zealand countryside. He quickly finds himself at home with his
new foster family: the loving Aunt Bella, the cantankerous Uncle Hec, and
dog Tupac. When a tragedy strikes that threatens to ship Ricky to another
home, both he and Hec go on the run in the bush. As a national manhunt
ensues, the newly branded outlaws must face their options: go out in a blaze
of glory or overcome their differences and survive as a family. Equal parts
road comedy and rousing adventure story, director Taika Waititi (WHAT WE DO
IN THE SHADOWS, upcoming THOR: RAGNORAK) masterfully weaves lively humor
with emotionally honest performances by Sam Neill and Julian Dennison. A
hilarious, touching crowd-pleaser, HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE reminds us
about the journey that growing up is (at any age) and those who help us
along the way.

The charmingly offbeat Hunt for the Wilderpeople unites a solid cast, a
talented filmmaker, and a poignant, funny, deeply affecting message.

HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE (PG13)
++++++++++++++++

SKIPPY2016.JPG
And the “Avon Movies” start to appear!
A sure sign of Fall approaching!
And, of course, the important word “EXCLUSIVE”, which means those “other
guys” won’t be playing them!
Whenever you see the words “An AVON Exclusive”, you’ll know we have fought
heaven and earth to bring
you a special movie that would just be wasted at those “McTheaters”!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You’ll notice this is also the time of year we start to sometimes close
earlier on Sundays.
With so few of the fabulous downtown restaurants opening on Sunday, it just
becomes rather slow on
Sunday nights

It’s not time for EVERY Sunday to close early yet, but this week we will.
Watch those showtimes carefully, because Sunday nights can be tricky as
summer wanes.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is always a tough time of year for me because school is back, and some
of our wonderful staffers
head back to college.
You’ll see some new faces, and a few familiar ones as we have a couple new
hires, and some of our veteran staff coming back.
But, you will also notice some of those long-term Avon staff faces are not
there!
Don’t worry.
Most are only gone for school, and you’ll see them again on breaks.
The Avon staff is like a big family (in fact, several of them ARE family)
and I sure notice the space in the place
where those missing were.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Now, I want to give a shout out to my wife, Susan, and my daughter, Melissa.
Last Saturday they ran a race in Danville called “Howl at the Moon”, and
this is a race like few others!
Susan and Melissa ran for EIGHT HOURS and Susan totaled 26.85 miles! Yes,
you read that right. 8 hours, 26.85 miles.
Melissa was not far behind her in mileage. Maybe less than ½ mile.
I am amazed.
I am awestruck and totally blown away!
I can’t run even 8 yards!!
(And dinosaurs or zombies would have to be chasing me to make me do that
too!)
So, next time you are in, if you happen to see them, give them a big howdy.
And, by the way, Susan turned 60 in July. (I married an older woman).
(Which makes it even more extraordinary!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Speaking of birthdays

Our big bash for the Avon’s 100th Anniversary won’t happen the way I was
hoping. We’d planned a block party with live music, etc.
BUT, we have something even more exciting planned in the next few months,
as a certain movie star will be making a re-appearance for our birthday.
More on that later!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
AND...lastly, The Head Honcho’s 46th birthday will be coming up on August
28th!
Gifts of money and BMW’s are expected!!! Get right on that!
The Avon Theater has been YOUR locally owned & family-operated 'hometown
theater' for 100 Years THIS YEAR!!
This weekend, I'm looking for ALL of you and, especially...YOU!!
cid:image008.jpg at 01D1C668.61DC48E0- Skip Huston
3750moon.jpg