[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---SEPT. 4th, 2015

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Sep 2 12:56:33 EDT 2015

EARLY BIRD PREMIERE TONIGHT (Sept. 2nd) & THURSDAY!!
                          SEE IT AT 6:30 PM!

 WALKHRADSEPT$.bmp

NEWSLETTERTOPPER.jpg

WEEK OF FRIDAY, SEPT. 4th thru THURSDAY,  SEPT. 10th ONLY!!
Check out our website at: www.TheAvon.com

 <https://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre> FBlogo1.jpg
CLICK ABOVE TO GO TO OUR FUN FACEBOOK PAGE!!
+++++++++++++++++++++
OUR "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME GUIDE!!
H&RSEPT4HHHHHHHHHH.JPG
+++++++++++++++++++++
WALKposter.jpg
A WALK IN THE WOODS (R) 1 hr. 38 min. Rated R for language.
In this new comedy adventure, celebrated travel writer, Bill Bryson (Academy
Award winner Robert Redford), instead of retiring to enjoy his loving and
beautiful wife (Academy Award winner Emma Thompson), and large and happy
family, challenges himself to hike the Appalachian Trail - 2,200 miles of
America's most unspoiled, spectacular and rugged countryside from Georgia to
Maine. The peace and tranquility he hopes to find, though, is anything but,
once he agrees to being accompanied by the only person he can find willing
to join him on the trek - his long lost and former friend Katz (Academy
Award nominee Nick Nolte), a down-on-his-luck serial philanderer who, after
a lifetime of relying on his charm and wits to keep one step ahead of the
law - sees the trip as a way to sneak out of paying some debts and sneak
into one last adventure before its too late. The trouble is, the two have a
completely different definition of the word, "adventure". Now they're about
to find out that when you push yourself to the edge, the real fun begins.

A WALK IN THE WOODS (R)
MON (Labor Day): (4:00) - 7:00
TUES thru THURS: 6:30

+++++++++++++++++++
MISTRESSposter.jpg
MISTRESS AMERICA (R) 1 hr. 26 min. Rated R for language.
In MISTRESS AMERICA, Tracy (Lola Kirke) is a lonely college freshman in New
York, having neither the exciting university experience nor the glamorous
metropolitan lifestyle she envisioned. But when she is taken in by her
soon-to-be stepsister, Brooke (Greta Gerwig) - a resident of Times Square
and adventurous gal about town - she is rescued from her disappointment and
seduced by Brooke's alluringly mad schemes.

 Mistress America brings out the best in collaborators Noah Baumbach and
Greta Gerwig, distilling its star's charm and director's dark wit into a
ferociously funny co-written story.

MISTRESS AMERICA (R)
MON (Labor Day): (5:00) - 8:00
TUES thru THURS: 7:15

+++++++++++++++++++
MRHposter.jpg
Mr. HOLMES (PG)
ENDS SOON!!
MR HOLMES is a new twist on the world's most famous detective. 1947, an
aging Sherlock Holmes returns from a journey to Japan, where, in search of a
rare plant with powerful restorative qualities, he has witnessed the
devastation of nuclear warfare. Now, in his remote seaside farmhouse, Holmes
faces the end of his days tending to his bees, with only the company of his
housekeeper and her young son, Roger. Grappling with the diminishing powers
of his mind, Holmes comes to rely upon the boy as he revisits the
circumstances of the unsolved case that forced him into retirement, and
searches for answers to the mysteries of life and love - before it's too
late.

 Mr. Holmes focuses on the man behind the mysteries, and while it may lack
Baker Street thrills, it more than compensates with tenderly wrought,
well-acted drama.

Mr. HOLMES (PG)
FRI: 8:00
SAT & SUN: (2:00) - 8:00
MON (Labor Day): 8:00
TUES thru THURS: 7:15

+++++++++++++++++++++
MAXposter.jpg
MAX (PG)
ENDS SOON!!
A military dog from Afghanistan is adopted by his late handler's grieving
family in the U.S., where his close bond with the soldier's brother leads to
a life-altering revelation in this family-friendly adventure from MGM and
director Boaz Yakin (who penned the screenplay alongside writer Sheldon
Lettich).

A MOVIE YOU'LL WANT TO STAND UP AND CHEER!!

MAX (PG)
FRI. SAT, SUN, MON (Labor Day): (5:00)

+++++++++++++++++++++

SKIP&SUE.bmp

Skip & Sue will celebrate their 31st wedding anniversary this November!

LABOR DAY 2015!!
It's usually a pretty sleepy movie weekend, because Hollywood forces us to
keep squeezing every drop out of those summer movies until they are ready to
start rolling out the Fall/Winter ones.

If you've been wondering why all the same movies keep hanging around all the
theaters, now you know!

BUT.We caught a break this year when a brand new studio decided to take
advantage of that situation and bring out the Robert Redford, Nick Nolte,
Emma Thompson gem "A WALK IN THE WOODS" for Labor Day week!

We have that one, and a very funny new independent comedy "MISTRESS
AMERICA", plus holdovers of "MR. HOLMES" (which was a great late summer hit
for us) and our 'encore' of the patriotic soldier dog film "MAX" (which, if
you haven't seen yet, you better hustle. It leaves soon, and you will LOVE
it!)

All in all, we are well set for Labor Day, and I hope we see ALL of you
there!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NOTE: My new film classes, GREAT SCREEN TEAMS Part 2, will start on Thurs,
Sept. 17th. We'll have more details right here in the coming weeks. It's
gonna be a fun one! Flyers/Enrollment forms will be in our lobby this
weekend.

The Avon Theater has been YOUR locally owned & family-operated 'hometown
theater' for almost 100 Years!!
This weekend, I'm looking for you and you and...YOU!!
SkipTan.bmp- Skip Huston
HRReadersChoice2015.bmp