[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---MARCH 7th, 2014

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Thu Mar 6 13:25:16 EST 2014

WEEK OF FRIDAY, MARCH 7th thru THURSDAY,  MARCH 13th  ONLY!!
Check out our funky-chic website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE (R)  Action / Adventure 1 hr. 43 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)
Based on Frank Miller's latest graphic novel Xerxes and told in the breathtaking visual style of the blockbuster "300," this new chapter of the epic saga takes the action to a fresh battlefield-on the sea-as Greek general Themistokles (Sullivan Stapleton) attempts to unite all of Greece by leading the charge that will change the course of the war. "300: Rise of an Empire" pits Themistokles against the massive invading Persian forces led by mortal-turned-god Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro), and Artemisia (Eva Green), vengeful commander of the Persian navy.
300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
THURS, MARCH 6th: 8:00 EARLY PREMIERE!! (with FREE 3D!)
FRI: (4:30) - 7:30 - 9:30 3D
SAT: (1:30) - (4:30) - 7:30 - 9:30 3D
SUN: (1:30) - (4:30) - 7:30 3D
MON thru THURS: 7:15
3D SHOWINGS:
FRI & SAT: 9:30
SUN: 7:30
(Note: 3D Upcharge only $2.00!!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MR. PEABODY & SHERMAN (PG)  Family / Comedy 1 hr 30 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)

Mr. Peabody, the most accomplished dog in the world, and his mischievous boy Sherman, use their time machine - the WABAC - to go on the most outrageous adventures known to man or dog. But when Sherman takes the WABAC out for a joyride to impress his friend Penny, they accidentally rip a hole in the universe, wreaking havoc on the most important events in world history. Before they forever alter the past, present and future, Mr. Peabody must come to their rescue, ultimately facing the most daunting challenge of any era: figuring out how to be a parent. Together, the time traveling trio will make their mark on history.
Mr. Peabody & Sherman offers a surprisingly entertaining burst of colorful all-ages fun!!
MR. PEABODY & SHERMAN (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:00) 3D - 7:00
SAT & SUN: (1:00) - (4:00) 3D - 7:00
MON thru THURS: 6:30
3D SHOWINGS:
FRI, SAT & SUN: (4:00)
(Note: 3D Upcharge only $2.00!!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SON OF GOD (PG13)  History / Religious 2 hrs. 20 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)
This major motion picture event -- an experience created to be shared among families and communities across the U.S. -- brings the story of Jesus' life to audiences through compelling cinematic storytelling that is both powerful and inspirational. Told with the scope and scale of an action epic, the film features powerful performances, exotic locales, dazzling visual effects and a rich orchestral score from Oscar-winner Hans Zimmer. Portuguese actor Diogo Morgado portrays the role of Jesus as the film spans from his humble birth through his teachings, crucifixion and ultimate resurrection.
SON OF GOD (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (12:30) - (3:30) - 6:30
MON thru THURS: 6:30
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, the Oscars are finally over!
Every year it seems the run up to the ceremony gets more and more protracted.
(Almost like our endless political campaigns!)

There was a lot to like in this year's Oscars, and a lot that was just plain "huh?".
After the astounding GRAVITY swept so many awards, I was really rooting for it to take "Best Picture", and was disappointed that 12 YEARS A SLAVE took "Best Picture" instead.
I felt GRAVITY deserved the award.
12 YEARS A SLAVE was well-done, to be sure, but, in my opinion, was NOT worthy of the "Best Picture" award.
In future years, it is the ground-breaking GRAVITY that will be remembered and talked about.
12 YEARS A SLAVE was tough to sit through even ONE brutal showing, and ONE viewing was enough!
BUT...I saw GRAVITY over TEN TIMES (and always in 3D!).
Oh, well...

When Matthew McConaughey won "Best Actor" and thanked GOD in a heartfelt acceptance speech, I was very pleasantly surprised.
Its not too often the hand of God is acknowledged these days, particularly in trendy Hollywood!
It took guts for him to do that! (And what a commentary on our current times that statement is!)

Many of you know my Mom passed away recently.
She would've been 88 this month.
Its funny how the things our Moms try and teach us come back to us at times.
Mom always said: "Never talk religion or politics with your customers".
Those are words of advice I have forgotten more often than I should.

Not talking about politics these days is easy.
I've finally figured out the politicians are ALL full of baloney!

Not talking about religion is somewhat easy these days too.
I, myself, KNOW the hand of God is in the Avon's continued operations.
But, as long as I know in my heart, that is all that matters.

So, there ya' go, Mom...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Come See Us this Weekend!!
We're Looking for you and you and...YOU!
-Skip Huston
NO DOUBT ABOUT IT...
THE GREATEST CAST ON EARTH!!!

JULY 2013. (It was a warm day too!)
The weather is getting better, and Spring is finally showing signs of arrival.
It won't be long before we'll be complaining about the HEAT!!

Hi, Mom....I miss you.