[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---MAY 2nd, 2014

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Apr 30 12:10:13 EDT 2014

AT THE AVON, SATURDAY, MAY 3rd at 7:30 PM ONLY!!
A ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME EXPERIENCE!!
THE AVON THEATER & KIRKLAND FINE ARTS presents:
CHARLIE CHAPLINS 1931 SILENT MASTERPIECE....

With LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by the ENTIRE Millikin Symphony Orchestra!!
CALL KIRKLAND'S BOX-OFFICE (217) 424-6318 for Tickets!
DON'T DELAY!! THIS IS GOING TO SELL-OUT, AND WILL NOT BE REPEATED!!
NOTE: THE AVON MAY NOT HAVE TICKETS AT THE DOOR!!
Tickets are $16.50 (and cheap at 10 x the price!)

WEEK OF FRIDAY, MAY 2nd thru THURSDAY,  MAY 8th ONLY!!
Check out our funky-chic website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre
OUR "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!
NOTE: Due to our huge special event on Saturday, please CAREFULLY check the showtimes for Saturday!

NOTE: Due to our huge special event on Saturday, please CAREFULLY check the showtimes for Saturday!

+++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++

EARLY PREMIERE THURSDAY, MAY 1st @ 7:00 PM ONLY!!
2D or 3D: YOUR CHOICE!!
NO EXTRA CHARGE FOR 3D AT THURSDAY'S PREMIERE!!

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (PG13) Action/Adventure 2 hr 22 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)
We've always known that Spider-Man's most important battle has been within himself: the struggle between the ordinary obligations of Peter Parker and the extraordinary responsibilities of Spider-Man. But in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Peter Parker finds that a greater conflict lies ahead. It's great to be Spider-Man (Andrew Garfield). For Peter Parker, there's no feeling quite like swinging between skyscrapers, embracing being the hero, and spending time with Gwen (Emma Stone). But being Spider-Man comes at a price: only Spider-Man can protect his fellow New Yorkers from the formidable villains that threaten the city. With the emergence of Electro (Jamie Foxx), Peter must confront a foe far more powerful than he. And as his old friend, Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan), returns, Peter comes to realize that all of his enemies have one thing in common: OsCorp.
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
EARLY PREMIERE THURSDAY, MAY 1st @ 7:00 PM ONLY!!
FRI: (1:00) - (4:15) - 7:30
SAT: (1:00) - (4:15) - 7:30
SUN: (1:00) - (4:15) - 7:30
MON thru THURS: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HEAVEN IS FOR REAL (PG)   Drama/ family 1 hr 40 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)

Based on the #1 New York Times best-selling book of the same name, HEAVEN IS FOR REAL brings to the screen the true story of a small-town father who must find the courage and conviction to share his son's extraordinary, life-changing experience with the world. The film stars Academy Award (R) nominee and Emmy (R) award winning actor Greg Kinnear as Todd Burpo and co-stars Kelly Reilly as Sonja Burpo, the real-life couple whose son Colton (newcomer Connor Corum) claims to have visited Heaven during a near death experience. Colton recounts the details of his amazing journey with childlike innocence and speaks matter-of-factly about things that happened before his birth ... things he couldn't possibly know. Todd and his family are then challenged to examine the meaning from this remarkable event.
HEAVEN IS FOR REAL (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (5:00) - 7:30
SAT: (12 noon) - (5:00) (NOTE: Be careful of Saturday showtimes due to the Special Event Saturday night!)
SUN: (12 noon) - (2:30) - (5:00) - 7:30
MON thru THURS: 6:30
++++++++++++++++++++++

THE OTHER WOMAN (PG13)   Comedy 1 hr 49 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)

After discovering her boyfriend is married, a woman (Cameron Diaz) tries to get her ruined life back on track. But when she accidentally meets the wife he's been cheating on (Leslie Mann), she realizes they have much in common, and her sworn enemy becomes her greatest friend. When yet another affair is discovered (Kate Upton), all three women team up to plot mutual revenge on their cheating, lying, three-timing SOB.
THE OTHER WOMAN (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (5:00) - 7:30
SAT: (2:30) - 7:30 (NOTE: Be careful of Saturday showtimes due to the Avon Special Event Saturday night!)
SUN: (12 noon) - (2:30) - (5:00) - 7:30
MON thru THURS: 6:30
+++++++++++++++++++++

Ok, ok, I know I tend to be, uh, 'hyperbolic'; it just comes natural.
I belong to that nearly-extinct breed called "showmen", and the P.T. Barnum comes out in me inevitably.
Having said that:
When we first did the showing of Charlie Chaplin's 1925 silent "The Gold Rush" a few years back, we only had 16 pieces of the Millikin Symphony Orchestra accompanying, but, even then it was astounding.
All hyperbole aside, I said at the time it was the highest artistic achievement the Avon Theater had seen in its (almost) 100 years!
-And THAT, my friends, is one heady statement!!!

The Avon's near 700 seats were sold-out that night, and so many of you reading this right now know exactly what I mean.

NOW, this Saturday, May 3rd at 7:30 PM, the Avon will do something even MORE extraordinary!
We will present Chaplin's 1931 silent masterwork "CITY LIGHTS", this time accompanied by the ENTIRE Millikin Symphony Orchestra!

Early Saturday morning, workers from Millikin and the Avon will be removing several rows of seats to make room for the orchestra!
Indeed, Millikin's people will be at the Avon preparing, rehearsing and dismantling until late in the evening on Saturday.

I have TWO cautions for you:

1.) Remember, that since we are removing many seats, this means we will sell-out even faster.
Don't procrastinate about this.
Call Kirkland's box-office now at (217) 424-6318 to secure your seats!

2.) Take extra care on the regular movie showtimes for Saturday.
We had to do some juggling to make this event work, and Saturday's showtimes for HEAVEN IS FOR REAL and THE OTHER WOMAN have some Saturday-only changes. The times for SPIDER-MAN 2 remain unchanged.

Please come and experience this incredible event.
I so believe in this that I donated the use of the premises for an entire Saturday (hoping YOU buy popcorn and snacks!).

Sometimes, you have to make the sacrifice in order to ensure a supreme cultural event like this can actually happen for our community.

YOU NEED TO SUPPORT THIS!
Seeya there?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SUMMER FILM CLASSES RESUME!! HERE'S THE INFO!
READ CAREFULLY, THESE CLASSES ARE NOT THROUGH RICHLAND!!
WHEN??: THURSDAY, JUNE 12th thru THURSDAY, JULY 31st
WHERE??: The Avon Theaters!
TIMES??: We always start at 6:30 (or thereabouts).
PRICE??: $80 for 8 weeks of film buff heaven!
HOW TO PAY??: These are NOT through Richland this time, so you will need to pay the Avon directly. Info below....
Please do not wait until the first night  of classes to pay, as we need to make sure we have the minimum for this class to go forward.
It would be best to pay NOW or as soon as possible.

CHECKS SHOULD BE MADE OUT TO: Theater Management Group LLC, NOT to The Avon Theater.

IF PAYING BY MAIL, DO NOT SEND TO THE THEATER DIRECTLY!
SEND TO:
Theater Management Group LLC
130 S. Austin Ave.
Decatur, IL 62522
You can also pay by cash or credit/debit card at the Avon box-office.
When you come in to pay (or mail), please fill out this simple form:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NAME:                                                              ADDRESS:
EMAIL ADDRESS:                                             PHONE:
METHOD OF PAYMENT:
Give the payment and the completed form to either me, Ashley, Sue, Bridget or Hannah.
Many of the time constraints and distractions that had caused me to stop doing classes last Fall (after 13 years) have been lessened now, and I am certainly ready to get back into it!

I hope to see you all in film class!
The Avon Theater, your HOMETOWN theater, is waiting!!
I'm looking for you and you and...YOU!!
-Skip Huston

I hope you come see me on Saturday, May 3rd at 7:30!!