[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---SEPT. 20th, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Sep 18 14:30:53 EDT 2013

STARTS FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 20TH!!
A POWERHOUSE THRILLER WITH HUGE "OSCAR BUZZ"!!

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  SEPT. 20th  thru THURSDAY,  SEPT.  27th ONLY!!
Check out our coolness website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
 PRISONERS (R) WOW! A powerhouse film with Hugh Jackman searching for a kidnapper! All Star Cast too!

CURRENTLY SHOWING:
  THE FAMILY (R) Tommy Lee Jones, Michelle Pfeiffer & Robert DeNiro in a mafia dramedy!
   THE SPECTACULAR NOW (R) One of the BEST movies you'll see this year! Trust us on this.

COMING  SOON:

SEPT. 27th: TBA (What could it be???)

 OCT. 4th: GRAVITY (PG13) One of the year's BEST! With Sandra Bullock & George Clooney!! In eye-popping 3D!
 OCT. 4th: RUNNER RUNNER (R) Ben Affleck & Justin Timberlake in mystery, suspense drama!
 OCT. 11th: ENOUGH SAID (PG13) One of the late James Gandolfini's last roles (and one of his best too!). This romantic comedy with Julia Louis-Dreyfuss will capture your heart!

 ...LOTS MORE GREAT MOVIES TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PRISONERS (R)  Crime / Drama 2 hr 23 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)

PRISONERS, from Oscar (R)-nominated director Denis Villeneuve, stars Oscar (R) nominees Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal in a story that poses the question: How far would you go to protect your child? Keller Dover (Jackman) is facing every parent's worst nightmare. His six-year-old daughter, Anna, is missing, together with her young friend, Joy, and as minutes turn to hours, panic sets in. The only lead is a dilapidated RV that had earlier been parked on their street. Heading the investigation, Detective Loki (Gyllenhaal) arrests its driver, Alex Jones (Paul Dano), but a lack of evidence forces the only suspect's release. Knowing his child's life is at stake, the frantic Dover decides he has no choice but to take matters into his own hands. But just how far will this desperate father go to protect his family?
PRISONERS (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE FAMILY (R)  Comedy / Drama 1 hr 44min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)

In the off-beat action comedy "The Family," a mafia boss and his family are relocated to a sleepy town in France under the witness protection program after snitching on the mob. Despite the best efforts of Agent Stansfield (Tommy Lee Jones) to keep them in line, Fred Manzoni (Robert DeNiro), his wife Maggie (Michelle Pfeiffer) and their children Belle (Dianna Agron) and Warren (John D'Leo) can't help but revert to old habits and blow their cover by handling their problems the "family" way, enabling their former mafia cronies to track them down. Chaos ensues as old scores are settled in the unlikeliest of settings in this darkly funny film by Luc Besson (Taken, Transporter).
THE FAMILY (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++

THE SPECTACULAR NOW (R)  Comedy/ Drama 95 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
With sly humor and an intensity of feeling, THE SPECTACULAR NOW (directed by James Ponsoldt) creates a vivid, three-dimensional portrait of youth confronting the funny, thrilling and perilous business of modern love and adulthood. This is the tale of Sutter Keely (Miles Teller), a high school senior and effortless charmer, and of how he unexpectedly falls in love with "the good girl" Aimee Finecky (Shailene Woodley). What starts as an unlikely romance becomes a sharp-eyed, straight-up snapshot of the heady confusion and haunting passion of youth - one that doesn't look for tidy truths. The film was written by Scott Neustadter and Michael Weber (500) DAYS OF SUMMER and also features wonderful supporting turns from Brie Larson, Kyle Chandler, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

NOW, FOLKS, HERE IS WHAT NATIONAL CRITIC LEONARD MALTIN SAID ABOUT "THE SPECTACULAR NOW"....

The Spectacular Now is that rare bird, a serious film about teenagers. I haven’t felt so swept up in the emotional lives of young people since The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Like that picture, this one is based on a novel (by Tim Tharp) and features superior performances by every hand-picked member of its ensemble, led by Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley.

Teller plays Sutter Keeley, a high-school senior who doesn’t take anything or anyone seriously—his hard-working mom, his well-meaning teacher, his grades or even his relationship with his sexy girlfriend. Part of his goofball demeanor derives from the fact that he’s almost always drinking, hiding his booze in flask or a soft-drink cup. Then he chances to meet Aimee Finicky (Shailene Woodley), a sheltered girl who’s never had a boyfriend. She’s got a tough home life, a demanding work schedule, and falls under Sutter’s spell—even though he tells himself he’s just helping her come out of her shell.
These are characters we don’t often see on screen: ordinary kids who have no sense of self-worth. How they affect each other’s decisions, and ultimate destiny, is at the heart of Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber’s screenplay, brought to life with admirable honesty and restraint by James Ponsoldt (who made the equally worthwhile Smashed). How the director and his youthful stars achieved such seemingly effortless honesty, under the scrutiny of a camera, is hard to say but easy to admire. Teller and Woodley have done good work before, but these performances are on a very high plane.

The same can be said for Brie Larson, Kyle Chandler, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Mary Elizabeth Winstead (who starred in Smashed), Bob Odenkirk and the other actors who make every moment of their brief screen time count. A layered screenplay and a simpatico director help a lot, but everyone involved in The Spectacular Now seems to have understood what was at stake for their characters.

I hope good reviews and word-of-mouth lead people to this little gem.
by Leonard Maltin (used with permission)

THE SPECTACULAR NOW (R)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mr. & Mrs. Head Honcho Recently
Let's talk for a moment about "counting your blessings"....
The woman in the picture above has shared my life as my blushing bride for 29 years this November.
She seems to see something in me that I, for the life of me, don't, but....that's how it goes.

Instead of letting middle-age give her excuses (like I frequently do) she has vowed to get in the best shape of her life.
She runs 14 mile marathons like they are a walk down the driveway.
Whenever we are visiting our new theater in Sterling, she immediately checks to see if any running events are being held, and trots off to compete.

She is definitely my "better half", and I am blessed I met her in Reno, Nevada all those years ago, and managed to convince her I was "worthy".

And, there are so many more people I am blessed with:
My wonderful staff, who are so loyal to me.
My General Manager, Ashley Petty, who has been 2nd in command of our company for over 6 years, and hasn't clobbered me yet!

And, the wonderful staffers who always go the "extra mile" for me, like our Co-Managers Hannah Elliott and Bridget Spitzer and our Team Leader, Victoria Rossi, who keeps us all laughing and 'organized'.

And friends? All of the Avon patrons, living and dead, who have supported our efforts over these almost-16 years.
My best friend, author Troy Taylor, who now has over 103 books in print, earns the title of "Avon Godfather" for his tireless efforts to help keep the Avon afloat.

And, my film classes?
After 13 years of doing the film classes for Richland-at-the-Avon, I've finally reached the point I am just too busy to continue on with them after this final Fall session.
You can sign-up Thursday night for an 8 week screening and discussion course, this time titled "Some of Skip's Favorite Movies"
(I thought that would be a fitting and proper way for me to say goodbye to the classes).

Our film classes have been a part of the Decatur art's environment for all these 13 years, and when they are gone, I know I will miss them terribly!
(I'm betting a lot of you will too!)

I hope YOU will show up at the Avon and enroll with Richland Official Jennifer Peterson before 6:30 tomorrow (Thursday, Sept 19th) night!
Just come to the Avon, and she will be waiting for you!

So many memories, and so many blessings.
Help me to say goodbye to my film classes, please.
Someday, you will look back and say "I was there at the last class".

Thanks for eveything, folks!

THE GREATEST CAST ON EARTH (...and Beyond!)

Come See Us this Weekend!
 We're looking for you and you and....YOU!!
-Skip Huston