[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---SEPT. 13th, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Sep 11 12:40:50 EDT 2013

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  SEPT. 13th  thru THURSDAY,  SEPT.  19th ONLY!!
Check out our coolness website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
 THE FAMILY (R) Tommy Lee Jones, Michelle Pfeiffer & Robert DeNiro in a mafia dramedy!
   THE SPECTACULAR NOW (R) One of the BEST movies you'll see this year! Trust us on this.
 THE EAST (PG13) Highly-overlooked spy thriller with Ellen Page, Alexander Skarsgard & Brit Marling

COMING  SOON:
 SEPT. 20th: PRISONERS (R) WOW! A powerhouse film with Hugh Jackman searching for a kidnapper!

 ...LOTS MORE GREAT MOVIES TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE FAMILY (R)  Comedy / Drama 1 hr 44min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)

In the off-beat action comedy "The Family," a mafia boss and his family are relocated to a sleepy town in France under the witness protection program after snitching on the mob. Despite the best efforts of Agent Stansfield (Tommy Lee Jones) to keep them in line, Fred Manzoni (Robert DeNiro), his wife Maggie (Michelle Pfeiffer) and their children Belle (Dianna Agron) and Warren (John D'Leo) can't help but revert to old habits and blow their cover by handling their problems the "family" way, enabling their former mafia cronies to track them down. Chaos ensues as old scores are settled in the unlikeliest of settings in this darkly funny film by Luc Besson (Taken, Transporter).
THE FAMILY (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++

THE SPECTACULAR NOW (R)  Comedy/ Drama 95 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
With sly humor and an intensity of feeling, THE SPECTACULAR NOW (directed by James Ponsoldt) creates a vivid, three-dimensional portrait of youth confronting the funny, thrilling and perilous business of modern love and adulthood. This is the tale of Sutter Keely (Miles Teller), a high school senior and effortless charmer, and of how he unexpectedly falls in love with "the good girl" Aimee Finecky (Shailene Woodley). What starts as an unlikely romance becomes a sharp-eyed, straight-up snapshot of the heady confusion and haunting passion of youth - one that doesn't look for tidy truths. The film was written by Scott Neustadter and Michael Weber (500) DAYS OF SUMMER and also features wonderful supporting turns from Brie Larson, Kyle Chandler, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

NOW, FOLKS, HERE IS WHAT NATIONAL CRITIC LEONARD MALTIN SAID ABOUT "THE SPECTACULAR NOW"....

The Spectacular Now is that rare bird, a serious film about teenagers. I haven’t felt so swept up in the emotional lives of young people since The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Like that picture, this one is based on a novel (by Tim Tharp) and features superior performances by every hand-picked member of its ensemble, led by Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley.

Teller plays Sutter Keeley, a high-school senior who doesn’t take anything or anyone seriously—his hard-working mom, his well-meaning teacher, his grades or even his relationship with his sexy girlfriend. Part of his goofball demeanor derives from the fact that he’s almost always drinking, hiding his booze in flask or a soft-drink cup. Then he chances to meet Aimee Finicky (Shailene Woodley), a sheltered girl who’s never had a boyfriend. She’s got a tough home life, a demanding work schedule, and falls under Sutter’s spell—even though he tells himself he’s just helping her come out of her shell.
These are characters we don’t often see on screen: ordinary kids who have no sense of self-worth. How they affect each other’s decisions, and ultimate destiny, is at the heart of Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber’s screenplay, brought to life with admirable honesty and restraint by James Ponsoldt (who made the equally worthwhile Smashed). How the director and his youthful stars achieved such seemingly effortless honesty, under the scrutiny of a camera, is hard to say but easy to admire. Teller and Woodley have done good work before, but these performances are on a very high plane.

The same can be said for Brie Larson, Kyle Chandler, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Mary Elizabeth Winstead (who starred in Smashed), Bob Odenkirk and the other actors who make every moment of their brief screen time count. A layered screenplay and a simpatico director help a lot, but everyone involved in The Spectacular Now seems to have understood what was at stake for their characters.

I hope good reviews and word-of-mouth lead people to this little gem.
by Leonard Maltin (used with permission)

THE SPECTACULAR NOW (R)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE EAST (PG13)  Adventure / Drama 2hr 5 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)

THE EAST, a suspenseful and provocative espionage thriller from acclaimed writer-director Zal Batmanglij and writer-actress Brit Marling, stars Marling as former FBI agent Sarah Moss. Moss is starting a new career at Hiller Brood, an elite private intelligence firm that ruthlessly protects the interests of its A-list corporate clientele. Handpicked for a plum assignment by the company's head honcho, Sharon (Patricia Clarkson), Sarah goes deep undercover to infiltrate The East, an elusive anarchist collective seeking revenge against major corporations guilty of covering up criminal activity. Determined, highly-trained and resourceful, Sarah soon ingratiates herself with the group, overcoming their initial suspicions and joining them on their next action or "jam." But living closely with the intensely committed members of The East, Sarah finds herself torn between her two worlds as she starts to connect with anarchist Benji (Alexander Skarsgård) and the rest of the collective, and awakens to the moral contradictions of her personal life.
THE EAST (PG13)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MY FINAL FILM CLASSES
On Thursday, Sept. 19th, we will begin my final 8 week course in the 13 year Richland-at-the-Avon film classes!

There are just too many demands on my time these days, and, while I love doing the film classes, and will miss them terribly, I just can't easily find the time to continue them after this final 8 week course.

So, if you've been a fan of my classes, or always meant to try one, join a whole lot of nice folks for our final screening and discussion series! This one will be "Some of Skip's Favorite Movies" and will be a presentation of many of the films that have influenced and enhanced my life.
Classes, as always, start at 6:30 at the Avon.
There will be a difference this time in that some of my favorite movies are a little bit longer than what has been the standard in my classes. Be prepared, in some cases, to stay a bit past 9 PM.

You'll get to see these movies on our new digital equipment, and what a treat that will be!

Please join us.
Cost is $80, and sign-up forms are available in our lobbies.
You can sign-up the first night too!
There will be a Richland official present on Thursday, Sept. 19th, from 6 to 6:30 PM to do your enrollment.

I hope I see you there!
The Decatur Police Department (with some help from "powers above") have apprehended the culprits who broke in the Avon THREE TIMES in less than ONE WEEK to do some serious vandalism of our beloved old theater!
Now, justice will be served to these crumbs!
And so: ONWARD!

THE GREATEST CAST ON EARTH (...and Beyond!)

Come See Us this Weekend!
 We're looking for you and you and....YOU!!
-Skip Huston