[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---SEPT. 6th, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Thu Sep 5 11:42:40 EDT 2013

END-OF-SUMMER SPECIAL!!!
JURASSIC PARK 3D (PG)
ALL SEATS ONLY $5.00 & FREE 3D!!

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  SEPT. 6th  thru THURSDAY,  SEPT.  12th ONLY!!
Check out our coolness website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
 JURASSIC PARK 3D (PG) Astounding movie favorite now in incredible 3D! ALL SEATS $5.00 & FREE 3D!!

PLAYING NOW:
 THE BUTLER (PG13) One of the Best Movie of the year! All Star Cast!

 WE'RE THE MILLERS (R) The Jennifer Aniston Raunchy Comedy Now at The Avon!!

COMING  SOON:

   SEPT. 13th: THE FAMILY (R) Tommy Lee Jones, Michelle Pfeiffer & Robert DeNiro in a mafia dramedy!
   SEPT. 13th: THE SPECTACULAR NOW (R) One of the BEST movies you'll see this year! Trust us on this.

 ...LOTS MORE GREAT MOVIES TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE BUTLER (PG13)  History / Drama 2 hr 6 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)

Looking for the BEST movie in town? You found it right here!
LEE DANIELS' THE BUTLER tells the story of a White House butler who served eight American presidents over three decades. The film traces the dramatic changes that swept American society during this time, from the civil rights movement to Vietnam and beyond, and how those changes affected this man's life and family. Forest Whitaker stars as the butler with Robin Williams as Dwight Eisenhower, John Cusack as Richard Nixon, Alan Rickman as Ronald Reagan, James Marsden as John F. Kennedy, Liev Schreiber as Lyndon B. Johnson, and many more.
THE BUTLER (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++

WE'RE THE MILLERS (R)  Comedy 1 hr 40 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
David Burke (Jason Sudeikis) is a small-time pot dealer whose clientele includes chefs and soccer moms, but no kids-after all, he has his scruples. So what could go wrong? Plenty. Preferring to keep a low profile for obvious reasons, he learns the hard way that no good deed goes unpunished when he tries to help out some local teens and winds up getting jumped by a trio of gutter punks. Stealing his stash and his cash, they leave him in major debt to his supplier, Brad (Ed Helms). In order to wipe the slate clean-and maintain a clean bill of health-David must now become a big-time drug smuggler by bringing Brad's latest shipment in from Mexico. Twisting the arms of his neighbors, cynical stripper Rose (Jennifer Aniston) and wannabe customer Kenny (Will Poulter), and the tatted-and-pierced streetwise teen Casey (Emma Roberts), he devises a foolproof plan. One fake wife, two pretend kids and a huge, shiny RV later, the "Millers" are headed south of the border for a Fourth of July weekend that is sure to end with a bang.
WE'RE THE MILLERS (R)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
END-OF-SUMMER SPECIAL!! ALL SEATS ONLY $5.00!!
AND...FREE 3D!!!!

JURASSIC PARK 3D (PG)  Adventure / Drama 2hr 5 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Steven Spielberg's phenomenally successful sci-fi adventure thriller is graced by state-of-the-art special effects from the team of Stan Winston, Phil Tippett and Michael Lantieri from George Lucas's Industrial Light & Magic. The film follows two dinosaur experts -- Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill) and Dr. Ellie Sattler Laura Dern) -- as they are invited by eccentric millionaire John Hammond (Richard Attenborough) to preview his new amusement park on an island off Costa Rica. By cloning DNA harvested from pre-historic insects, Hammond has been able to create living dinosaurs for his new Jurassic Park, an immense animal preserve housing real brachiosaurs, dilophosaurs, triceratops, velociraptors, and a Tyrannosaur Rex. Accompanied by cynical scientist Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum), who is obsessed with chaos theory, and Hammond's two grandchildren (Ariana Richards and Joseph Mazzello), they are sent on a tour through Hammond's new resort in computer controlled touring cars. But as a tropical storm hits the island, knocking out the power supply, and an unscrupulous employee (Wayne Knight) sabotages the system so that he can smuggle dinosaur embryos out of the park, the dinosaurs start to rage out of control. Grant then has to bring Hammond's grandchildren back to safety as the group is pursued by the gigantic man-eating beasts.
NOW, THIS CLASSIC IS EVEN MORE INCREDIBLE IN DIGITAL 3D!!!
JURASSIC PARK 3D (PG)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My wife and I saw "JURASSIC PARK 3D" at a private screening a few months ago, and we were flabbergasted as to how a 20 year-old movie that we have viewed numerous times over the years, could seem like an entirely new experience with the added 3D.

Of course, factored into this is it's really a VERY good movie in and of itself!

But, the post-production conversion to 3D is extremely well done, and you are hard pressed to remember the movie was not filmed in 3D originally!

We recently joined the ranks of theaters undergoing a mandatory digital conversion of our projection and sound, and we are so delighted how it all came out, we are bringing "JURASSIC PARK 3D" in this week for a special end-of-summer treat with ALL SEATS $5.00 and FREE 3D!

When you figure that most area theaters charge as much as $3.50 a head for the 3D, the $5.00 ticket price with FREE 3D is quite a bargain, indeed!

We're hoping we'll see a lot of families and groups of friends taking advantage of this one-week-only special!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ANOTHER NOTE:
Folks, there was a problem this week that is really a very sad and frustrating thing...
We had THREE criminal break-ins in less than a week!

All of them were vandalism-related, but the most recent one was of really serious criminal damages to the old Avon.
We have a pretty good idea where this all came from, and the police are, hopefully, closing in on these culprits as we speak.
We have offered a $500 reward for the identity of these villains, and maybe that will loosen the lips of any that know something.
It is a terrible thing when the respect for an almost-100 year old Decatur institution can be treated like so much garbage by a certain element in our community, and I know all of you share our outrage.

Because of the most damaging latest incident, we had to close the Avon for a couple of days, and move THE BUTLER over to the Twins, thus preempting 2 of the showings of GIRL MOST LIKELY.
We do apologize to those of you who were disappointed to not see GIRL MOST LIKELY, but I also know you understand when it was explained to you.

If you are reading this, the final showings of GIRL MOST LIKELY will be tonight at 7:15 pm (Thursday, Sept. 5th) and they 'should' run as scheduled.

More as things develop in this case of willful criminal assault on our beloved Avon Theater...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE GREATEST CAST ON EARTH (...and Beyond!)

Come See Us this Weekend!
 We're looking for you and you and....YOU!!
-Skip Huston

The New STERLING THEATER is OPEN!!
BEER - WINE - MOVIES & FOOD!!
In-Theater Cabaret-style seating!
All Digital Projection and Sound!
Its not that long of drive (2 hrs 45 min)
to see a theater like you've never seen before!