[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---OCT. 4th, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Oct 2 14:11:00 EDT 2013

STARTS FRIDAY, OCT. 4th in EYE-POPPING 3D and STANDARD 2D VERSIONS!!

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  OCT.  4th  thru THURSDAY,  OCT. 10th ONLY!!
Check out our groovy website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:

 GRAVITY (PG13) One of the year's BEST! With Sandra Bullock & George Clooney!! In eye-popping 3D! (And in regular 2D too!)
 RUNNER RUNNER (R) Ben Affleck & Justin Timberlake in mystery, suspense drama!

CURRENTLY SHOWING:
 PRISONERS (R) WOW! A powerhouse film with Hugh Jackman searching for a kidnapper! All Star Cast too!

COMING  SOON:
  OCT. 11th: ENOUGH SAID (PG13) One of the late James Gandolfini's last roles (and one of his best too!). This romantic comedy with Julia Louis-Dreyfuss will capture your heart!
 ...LOTS MORE GREAT MOVIES TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++

GRAVITY 3D (PG13)
GRAVITY, directed by Oscar (R) nominee Alfonso Cuaron, stars Oscar (R) winners Sandra Bullock and George Clooney in a heart-pounding thriller that pulls you into the infinite and unforgiving realm of deep space. Bullock plays Dr. Ryan Stone, a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (Clooney). But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earthand any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space.

NOTE: Folks, it is STRONGLY recommended by the filmmakers and the studio that you see GRAVITY in the 3D version! This isn't any "post-conversion" 3D, but 3D like you saw in AVATAR, HUGO, and THE LIFE OF PI, in other words, this is REAL 3D. There is only a $2.00 3D charge (the "other guys" charge a $3.50 surcharge!), but $2.00 extra is WELL WORTH IT!!
GRAVITY 3D (PG13)  Action/Adventure 90 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")

GRAVITY 2D (PG13)  Action/Adventure 90 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:00)
SAT & SUN: (1:00) - (4:00)
We're doing a limited 2D presentation for those of you who can't see 3D, or get motion sickness, or just don't want to wear the glasses, or merely don't want to pay the $2.00 surcharge (or ALL of those reasons! HaHaHa)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PRISONERS (R)  Crime / Drama 2 hr 23 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
PRISONERS, from Oscar (R)-nominated director Denis Villeneuve, stars Oscar (R) nominees Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal in a story that poses the question: How far would you go to protect your child? Keller Dover (Jackman) is facing every parent's worst nightmare. His six-year-old daughter, Anna, is missing, together with her young friend, Joy, and as minutes turn to hours, panic sets in. The only lead is a dilapidated RV that had earlier been parked on their street. Heading the investigation, Detective Loki (Gyllenhaal) arrests its driver, Alex Jones (Paul Dano), but a lack of evidence forces the only suspect's release. Knowing his child's life is at stake, the frantic Dover decides he has no choice but to take matters into his own hands. But just how far will this desperate father go to protect his family?
PRISONERS (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI thru WED: 6:30 ONLY
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RUNNER RUNNER (R)  Crime / Drama 91min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)

Princeton grad student Richie (Justin Timberlake), believing he's been swindled, travels to Costa Rica to confront online gambling tycoon Ivan Block (Ben Affleck). Richie is seduced by Block's promise of immense wealth, until he learns the disturbing truth about his benefactor. When Richie is coerced by the FBI to help bring down Block, he faces his biggest gamble ever -- outmaneuvering the two forces closing in on him.
RUNNER RUNNER (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mr. & Mrs. Head Honcho Recently
So...to 3D or to not 3D?
Is that the question?
Would you let a mere $2.00 stop you from one of the most incredible 3D experiences since AVATAR?
(By the way, the "other guys" charge a whopping $3.50 for their 3D surcharge---so, doesn't $2.00 look a lot better when you factor in our lower prices on tickets AND concessions stand snacks?---and they're better quality too!----

I've been a real critic of 3D for many years now.
I think some of the post-conversion stuff really stinks, and a true rip-off to the public!
BUT...
Every once in a while a film comes out that just NEEDS the 3D to be enjoyed properly.

I can't imaging seeing AVATAR, or THE LIFE OF PI, or HUGO without 3D!
They were filmed in what is called "native 3D", in other words, they were MADE for 3D, not converted later!

Add GRAVITY to the list!

We've made it possible to see GRAVITY (which is an incredible movie in and of itself) in regular 2D too.
Those showings are weekend matinees only...
So, we aren't 'forcing' you to see the 3D version, we are just strongly suggesting it for your maximum enjoyment.

And...for those of you who've missed my presence or think I am moving away because of our new place in Sterling, I will be at the Avon ALL WEEKEND LONG!! (for some, that would be reason to stay away!!!)

THE GREATEST CAST ON EARTH (...and Beyond!)
(NOTE: See this amazing picture in a giant blow-up in our Avon lobby!)
Come See Us this Weekend!
 We're looking for you and you and....YOU!!
-Skip Huston