[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---OCT.18th, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Oct 16 13:31:34 EDT 2013

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  OCT.  18th  thru THURSDAY,  OCT. 24th ONLY!!
Check out our groovy website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
 HALLOWEEN SPECIAL!! THE CONJURING (R) Last Summer's creepy hit! ALL SEATS JUST $5.00 FOR THIS SPOOKY ONE!!

CURRENTLY SHOWING:
 GRAVITY 3D or 2D (PG13) One of the year's BEST! With Sandra Bullock & George Clooney!! In eye-popping 3D!
 ENOUGH SAID (PG13) One of late James Gandolfini's last & roles. This romantic comedy with Julia Louis-Dreyfuss will capture your heart!

COMING  SOON:
  OCT. 25th!! THE COUNSELOR (R) Brad Pitt and an all-star cast in the Ridley Scott-directed legal thriller!

...LOTS MORE GREAT MOVIES TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FREE HALLOWEEN MOVIES!!!
FRI @ 10:30 PM: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (PG)
SAT @ 10:30 PM: THE FRIGHTENERS (R)
ALL FREE! FREE! FREE! FREE! FREE!
(Did I mention they were FREE???)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ENOUGH SAID (PG13)  Comedy/Romance 91 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)
A divorced and single parent, Eva (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) spends her days enjoying work as a masseuse but dreading her daughter's impending departure for college. She meets Albert (James Gandolfini) - a sweet, funny and like-minded man also facing an empty nest. As their romance quickly blossoms, Eva befriends Marianne (Catherine Keener), her new massage client. Marianne is a beautiful poet who seems "almost perfect" except for one prominent quality: she rags on her ex-husband way too much. Suddenly, Eva finds herself doubting her own relationship with Albert as she learns the truth about Marianne's ex.

Hey Folks! Here is Avon-fan Leonard Maltin's rave review of ENOUGH SAID!
ENOUGH SAID reviewed by Leonard Maltin

As a writer, director, and observer of contemporary life, Nicole Holofcener just keeps getting better and better. Now, in the wake of her perceptive, Manhattan-based Please Give she offers us Enough Said, a Los Angeles-based portrait of a massage therapist (Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, in a beautifully nuanced performance) who’s a single mom with a daughter about to leave the nest for college. Louis-Dreyfuss is socially awkward but meets her match at a backyard party: a reticent, bear-like man (the late James Gandolfini) who shares a low-key, self-deprecating sense of humor. They’re comfortable enough with each other, even on a first date, to joke about their own discomfort.

How this relationship develops is the marvel of Holofcener’s seamless screenplay and her unerring eye for casting (including a costarring role for her favorite actress, Catherine Keener), even as the story’s focus widens to embrace other characters. Louis-Dreyfuss’ best friend, Toni Collette, is a great sounding board even though she has a notably prickly relationship with her own husband, Ben Falcone. This is fundamentally a comedy, yet every situation has dramatic undercurrents and the possibility of turning serious—even heartbreaking—at a moment’s notice.

A true social satirist, Holofcener revels in the ordinary. Gandolfini lives in a bland, midcentury suburban house where he and Louis-Dreyfuss have a probing conversation on the backdoor stoop. (Who would stage a scene in a set-up like that but an ex-New Yorker?) In the course of telling her central story, the filmmaker manages to deal with such first-world problems as contending with a quixotic housekeeper, lavishing too much attention on your daughter’s best friend, trying to Skype with a gal-pal who’s a psychiatrist with patients waiting for her, and more.

I’ve actually heard people grumble that Holofcener is too wrapped up in the lives of affluent characters on both Coasts. I don’t understand the complaint. This is her milieu and she knows it well; that’s why her films play so honestly. Here, she has given Louis-Dreyfuss and the late Gandolfini—who have made such an impact on television—the best roles of their big-screen careers. These are real people who mean well but make unfortunate mistakes…and the actors allow us to see them at their most vulnerable. Louis-Dreyfuss reveals colors and shadings we’ve never seen before, while Gandolfini is irresistibly likable in his least characteristic role. Enough Said makes one mourn his loss all the more.

I love this film and the people in it. It’s a rare instance of a movie I look forward to watching a second time.
Leonard Maltin c2013 (Used with permission)
ENOUGH SAID (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++

GRAVITY 3D (PG13)
GRAVITY, directed by Oscar (R) nominee Alfonso Cuaron, stars Oscar (R) winners Sandra Bullock and George Clooney in a heart-pounding thriller that pulls you into the infinite and unforgiving realm of deep space. Bullock plays Dr. Ryan Stone, a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (Clooney). But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earthand any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space.
GRAVITY 3D (PG13)  Action/Adventure 90 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
NOTE: 3D HAS A $2.00 Upcharge! Not $3.50 like those "other guys".

...AND, for those of you who still refuse to see 3D, or have eye problems, or don't want to pay the extra $2.00, we have a few regular 2D showings this weekend....
GRAVITY 2D (PG13)  Action/Adventure 90 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (5:00)
SAT & SUN: (2:00)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HALLOWEEN SPECIAL!! ALL SEATS JUST $5.00!!

THE CONJURING(R)  Biography / Thriller 112 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
In 1971, Carolyn and Roger Perron move their family into a dilapidated Rhode Island farm house and soon strange things start happening around it with escalating nightmarish terror. In desperation, Carolyn contacts the noted paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren, to examine the house. What the Warrens discover is a whole area steeped in a satanic haunting that is now targeting the Perron family wherever they go. To stop this evil, the Warrens will have to call upon all their skills and spiritual strength to defeat this spectral menace at its source that threatens to destroy everyone involved.
HALLOWEEN SPECIAL!! ALL SEATS JUST $5.00!!
 THE CONJURING (R)
FRI: 8:00
SAT:(5:00) - 8:00
SUN: (5:00)
MON, TUES & WED: 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mr. & Mrs. Head Honcho last August

Its hard to believe its almost Halloween!

Our FREE spooky movie programs are in full force, and the annual ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW costume extravaganza on our stage & screen is next weekend! (Oct. 25th & 26th at MIDNIGHT).

Additionally, this week, we are bringing back last summer's chiller-diller THE CONJURING for a bargain encore (all seats, all times only $5.00!!).

Halloween has always been my favorite time of year!
Come See Us this Weekend!

 -We're Looking for you and you and...YOU!
-Skip Huston