[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS----MAY 10th, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed May 8 15:39:08 EDT 2013

                             OPENS FRIDAY!!

 WEEK OF FRIDAY,  MAY 10th  thru THURSDAY,  MAY 16th  ONLY!!
Check out our ultra-groovy website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
 THE GREAT GATSBY (PG13) Leonardo DiCaprio in the new adaptation of the classic novel of the Roaring 20's!!
 THURSDAY, MAY 16th: STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS (PG13) The newest installment of the legendary series!

PLAYING NOW:
 IRON MAN 3 (PG13) The Summer blockbusters begin!! Robert Downey, Jr. in a slam-bang thriller!!
 THE SAPPHIRES (PG13)  The Australian music and comedy sensation finally in America! DON'T MISS THIS ONE!!

COMING SOON:
 WED. EARLY PREMIERE!! MAY 22nd: THE HANGOVER PART 3 (R) The boys are STILL in trouble! This is the final of trilogy!

 ...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE GREAT GATSBY (PG13)    Drama / Romance  2 hr. 23 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
"The Great Gatsby" follows Fitzgerald-like, would-be writer Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) as he leaves the Midwest and comes to New York City in the spring of 1922, an era of loosening morals, glittering jazz, bootleg kings, and sky-rocketing stocks. Chasing his own American Dream, Nick lands next door to a mysterious, party-giving millionaire, Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio), and across the bay from his cousin, Daisy (Carey Mulligan), and her philandering, blue-blooded husband, Tom Buchanan (Joel Edgerton). It is thus that Nick is drawn into the captivating world of the super rich, their illusions, loves and deceits. As Nick bears witness, within and without of the world he inhabits, he pens a tale of impossible love, incorruptible dreams and high-octane tragedy, and holds a mirror to our own modern times and struggles
THE GREAT GATSBY (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++

IRON MAN 3  (PG13)    Action / Adventure 2 hrs. 15 min.  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Marvel's "Iron Man 3" pits brash-but-brilliant industrialist Tony Stark/Iron Man against an enemy whose reach knows no bounds. When Stark finds his personal world destroyed at his enemy's hands, he embarks on a harrowing quest to find those responsible. This journey, at every turn, will test his mettle. With his back against the wall, Stark is left to survive by his own devices, relying on his ingenuity and instincts to protect those closest to him. As he fights his way back, Stark discovers the answer to the question that has secretly haunted him: does the man make the suit or does the suit make the man?
IRON MAN 3 (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE SAPPHIRES  (PG13)    Comedy / Musical 1 hr. 39 min.  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Inspired by a true story, THE SAPPHIRES follows four vivacious, young and talented Australian Aboriginal girls from a remote mission as they learn about love, friendship and war when their all girl group The Sapphires entertains the U.S. troops in Vietnam in 1968. Cynthia (Tapsell), Gail (Mailman), Julie (Mauboy) and Kay (Sebbens) are discovered by Dave (O'Dowd), a good-humored talent scout with a kind heart, very little rhythm but a great knowledge of soul music. As their manager, Dave books the sisters their first true gig giving them their first taste of stardom, and travels them to Vietnam to sing for the American troops.

Hiya Folks!! The Head Honcho here with Leonard Maltin's review of THE SAPPHIRES. We do this every once in a while when we want to showcase a particular "Avon Discovery", so....Take it away, Leonard!!

THE SAPPHIRES reviewed by Leonard Maltin
I can’t imagine anyone concocting a movie about four Aboriginal girls entertaining American troops in Vietnam in the late 1960s unless it were based on a true story. Other aspects of The Sapphires have clearly been fictionalized, but the result is a crowd-pleaser that balances irresistible r&b music hits, dynamic performances, and comedy with the serious undercurrent of racial tension during a socially tumultuous period. It’s a sly way of confronting disturbing facets of Australian history without turning off an audience.
It helps that the leading actors are so skillful and appealing, beginning with Chris O’Dowd as a roguish Irishman who becomes the girls’ manager; the spontaneity of his humor is matched only by the charm and honesty of his performance. Deborah Mailman, Jessica Mauboy, Shari Stebbens, and Miranda Tapsell effectively convey the distinctive personalities (two sisters and their cousins) that made up the unlikely but talented singing group.

The screenplay by Tony Briggs and Keith Thompson is based on Briggs’ successful stage play, inspired by the stories Briggs heard from his mother, who was one of the real-life Sapphires. Director Wayne Blair manages to juggle the film’s diverse ingredients quite well, if not always seamlessly: some of the story points are heavy-handed, to be sure. But whatever nitpicks I could cite melt away under the film’s infectious high spirits—and that parade of songs, including “I’ll Take You There,” “What a Man,” and “Hold On, I’m a Comin’.”

The Sapphires is a feel-good movie of universal appeal, with just enough social history to give it substance along with entertainment value.
I hope word-of-mouth is strong enough to win it the audience it deserves here in the States. c Leonard Maltin (used with permission)

NOTE FROM SKIP: We've held-over THE SAPPHIRES for one more week, but it MUST END ON WEDNESDAY, MAY 15th!!!

THE SAPPHIRES (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
MON thru WED: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

STAR TREK:  INTO DARKNESS  (PG13)   Action / Sci-Fi  2 hr. 12 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)

In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes 'Star Trek Into Darkness.' When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.
STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
THURSDAY May 16th PREMIERE!! (5:00) - 8:00
(Next Week's Showtimes TBA)
++++++++++++++++++++++

So, why haven't YOU been to see THE SAPPHIRES??
As summer starts, our ability to bring the highly-acclaimed independent films like "The Sapphires" will be severely impaired (with very few exceptions) until the Fall when the blockbuster summer movies have moved on. We've only got THREE screens, and the big popcorn 'tentpole' hits come out hot & heavy in the summer!

I held THE SAPPHIRES over because of the astoundingly excellent word-of-mouth from those who saw it when it opened last week.

-Yet, I still hear the following:
"I've never heard of it" (Well, that's the point! It isn't some mindless "mall movie", its a little-known INDEPENDENT film!)

"Who is in it?" (What does "star power" really mean these days? Haven't we all realized by now that 'star power' is no guarantee of quality?)

THE SAPPHIRES (PG13) will only be at the Avon thru WEDNESDAY, May 15th.
You are going to miss one of the best movies you've seen in a long time!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NEW FOOD ITEM
We've added Mini-Bagel Dog bites to our menu!
These are all-beef little doggies from Nathan's, and try them with a mustard dip or a ketchup/mustard mix (or some of our Nacho cheese!)
We have hopes they will join some of our wildly popular other extended menu favorites like our Soft Pretzel Bites or our WhiteCastle Hamburgers!

(And, of course, our Chicago Vienna Beef All-Beef Hot Dogs are a good way to get a light dinner at The Avon and save room for popcorn!)
The Avon's New Sensation!! The FREE "Shake n Share" popcorn tub lid & bowl!
Take a look below...

Come See Me This Weekend!
I'm looking for you and you and....YOU!!
-Skip Huston
The Biggest Movie of the Summer is Coming in June!