[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---JULY 26, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Thu Jul 25 11:38:47 EDT 2013

STARTS FRIDAY, JULY 26th!!
"The BEST Movie of Summer 2013!!"
---AND, its ONLY at THE AVON!!

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  JULY 26th  thru THURSDAY,  AUGUST 1st ONLY!!
Check out our coolness website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
 THE WAY, WAY BACK (PG13) A delightful coming-of-age comedy with Steve Carell and Toni Collette!

 THE WOLVERINE (PG13) Hugh Jackman in this anticipated thriller!!!

PLAYING NOW:
 RED 2  (PG13) The rip-roaring sequel to the surprise hit from a few years ago! Helen Mirren, Bruce Willis, John Malkovich and more!!

 ...LOTS MORE GREAT MOVIES SOON TO BE ANNOUNCED!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++

THE WAY WAY BACK (PG13)  Comedy / Drama 1 hr 43 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Looking for the BEST movie in town this weekend? You found it right here!

Let's take a look what Avon fan and world-class critic LEONARD MALTIN says about THE WAY WAY BACK....

THE WAY WAY BACK reviewed by Leonard Maltin
This is my favorite film of the summer so far. It entertained me and left me with a feeling of satisfaction that’s all too rare, especially at this time of year, when Hollywood shoots off its biggest guns. The Way, Way Back is best described as a comedy, but like many of the best films in that genre it’s rooted in truth: honest observations about family dynamics, adolescence, dependence and independence. I loved it.

Liam James, whom some of you will recognize from his roles on the TV series Psych and The Killing, plays a sullen 14-year-old boy whose divorced mom (Toni Collette) has dragged him and his sister to the summer home of her obnoxious boyfriend (Steve Carell) in a New England seaside community. Here he must learn to sink or swim, figuratively speaking, in an adult world that remains a mystery, populated as it is by a variety of oddballs (including Allison Janney and Rob Corddry). He finds unexpected refuge at a nearby water park that’s run with reckless abandon by a free spirit, played with charismatic, comic gusto by Sam Rockwell. Maya Rudolph is also quite good as his long-suffering assistant.

The Way, Way Back marks the directorial debut of writer-performers Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, who collaborated with Alexander Payne on the screenplay of The Descendants. While they fill relatively minor roles in this film, they imbue the characters around them with three-dimensional qualities that give the movie its enormous appeal. What’s more, they don’t take the easy way out of difficult story situations; ultimately, it’s not just the boy who grows and changes over the course of the film. I especially like the resolution; it feels right, and even better, it dodges Hollywood cliché.

This, to me, is a perfect summer movie cocktail: funny, endearing, poignant, and true…entertainment that respects its audience. Don’t miss it. C 2013 Leoanrd Maltin (used with permission)

So, there you have it, folks! And, remember, THE WAY WAY BACK can ONLY be seen in this area at THE AVON!!!

THE WAY WAY BACK (PG13)
+++++++++++++++++++++++

THE WOLVERINE (PG13)  Action / Thriller 2 hr 6 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
In modern day Japan, Wolverine is out of his depth in an unknown world as he faces his ultimate nemesis in a life-or-death battle that will leave him forever changed. Vulnerable for the first time and pushed to his physical and emotional limits, he confronts not only lethal samurai steel but also his inner struggle against his own immortality, emerging more powerful than we have ever seen him before.
THE  WOLVERINE (PG13)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RED 2 (PG13)  Action / Comedy 1hr 40 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
In RED 2, the high-octane action-comedy sequel to the worldwide sleeper hit, retired black-ops CIA agent Frank Moses reunites his unlikely team of elite operatives for a global quest to track down a missing portable nuclear device. To succeed, they'll need to survive an army of relentless assassins, ruthless terrorists and power-crazed government officials, all eager to get their hands on the next-generation weapon. The mission takes Frank and his motley crew to Paris, London and Moscow. Outgunned and outmanned, they have only their cunning wits, their old-school skills, and each other to rely on as they try to save the world-and stay alive in the process.
RED 2 (PG13)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Finally, with this weekend's opening of the delightful 'Avon movie', THE WAY WAY BACK (PG13) we start to see the return of those movies that the Avon crowd really depends on us to play!
THE WAY WAY BACK rates an 83% on the national positive review meter, and that is a 3 or 3 1/2 star review any way you look at it!

As we close out the summer, and get into the Fall/Winter movie seasons, you can look forward to an increase of those 'Avon movies'---as the summer and all its big-budget blockbusters (several of which have flopped famously) start to fade out.

Summer might be MY personal favorite season, because I love 'pool weather' and hot temperatures (and this summer has been rather lacking in that regard), but, as far as the MOVIE business, nothing can beat Fall/Winter at THE AVON!!

With Decatur Celebration just a week away (by the way, we WILL be open), and many getting ready to head back to school, we'll see if the seasons get more in line with their normal climates.

However, its always fair weather at the Avon!
++++++++++++++++++++++
Come See Me This Weekend!
I'm looking for you and you and....YOU!!
-Skip Huston
NEW PIC FROM STERLING THEATER!

Here is our lovely Victoria Rossi standing in one of
the almost-finished auditoriums in our new place in
Sterling, Illinois.
We are still 4 to 6 weeks from opening this "Beer/Wine/
Dinner/ Movie Theater", but it will be the talk of
Northern Illinois when it does open!