[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---JULY 5th, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Jul 3 11:59:44 EDT 2013

    NOW SHOWING!! DON'T MISS IT!!

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  JULY 5th  thru THURSDAY,  JULY 11th ONLY!!
Check out our super-awesome website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
THE LONE RANGER (PG13) The legend returns in this slam-bang action fest! Johnny Depp as Tonto!

PLAYING NOW:
THE HEAT (R) Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy will split your sides with funny!
 MONSTERS UNIVERSITY  (G) The BIG Pixar family film for the Summer!

COMING SOON:
 JULY 12th: PACIFIC RIM (PG13) The spectacular battle of huge robots fighting big threatening monsters!
 JULY 19th: RED 2  (PG13) The rip-roaring sequel to the surprise hit from a few years ago! Helen Mirren, Bruce Willis, John Malkovich and more!!
 JULY 19th: THE CONJURING (R) Said to be the scariest ghost story ever filmed! Do you dare see for yourself?
 JULY 26th: THE WAY, WAY BACK (PG13) A delightful coming-of-age comedy with Steve Carell and Toni Collette!
 JULY 26th: THE WOLVERINE (PG13) Hugh Jackman in this anticipated thriller!!!

 ...AND LOTS MORE GREAT MOVIES SOON TO BE ANNOUNCED!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++

THE LONE RANGER (PG13)    Action / Thriller/ Western   2 hr. 26 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Native American spirit warrior Tonto (Johnny Depp) and man of the law John Reid (Armie Hammer) are opposites brought together by fate and must join forces to battle greed and corruption.
THE LONE RANGER (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++

THE HEAT (R) Action / Comedy 1hrs 57 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Uptight FBI Special Agent Sarah Ashburn (Sandra Bullock) and foul-mouthed Boston cop Shannon Mullins (Melissa McCarthy) couldn't be more incompatible. But when they join forces to bring down a ruthless drug lord, they become the last thing anyone expected: buddies. From Paul Feig, director of 'Bridesmaids.'
THE HEAT (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MONSTERS UNIVERSITY  (G)  (Family / Animation 1 hr. 50 min not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Mike Wazowski and James P. Sullivan are an inseparable pair, but that wasn't always the case. From the moment these two mismatched monsters met they couldn't stand each other. "Monsters University" unlocks the door to how Mike and Sulley overcame their differences and became the best of friends.
MONSTERS UNIVERSITY (G)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30  (ENDS WEDNESDAY!)

+++++++++++++++++++++++

This movie business is not for everybody, and, in fact, not for anyone who has a logical business bone in their body!
(Luckily for me, I've always had the ability to "make it up as I go").

The deal we'd made with the studio was we would play MONSTERS UNIVERSITY for just 10 days into THE LONE RANGER...
It was set-in-stone, carved-in-granite!
EXCEPT...where Hollywood is concerned, NOTHING is ever 'carved-in-granite' (more like "carved in Jell-o!")

When our extraordinary ticket sales for MONSTERS UNIVERSITY were seen, well....everything changed!

There was a lot of phone calls, emails and yelling back and forth with our film booker and the studios.

It seems now, because of our great ticket sales, we needed to HOLD OVER the movie MONSTERS UNIVERSITY!

But what to do about WORLD WAR Z, which was taking up one of our only 3 screens?

Finally, the solution was, to put it mildly, rather 'squirrely'...
We would put MONSTERS UNIVERSITY on 'hiatus' for Wednesday and Thursday, but bring it BACK on Friday, July 5th!
WORLD WAR Z would drop out a week earlier than we scheduled.

And THE LONE RANGER would open as planned!

This is just a minor example of what I mean when I say that the actual operation of the Avon is not what makes it a 7 day a week, 12 hour a day job for me!
We have our excellent management Ashley, Hannah & Bridget for the day-to-day duties (and a long-term staff that could mostly ALL be 'management' themselves!).

Its the constant hoo-hah I deal with in my office that is the real nerve center of the Avon Theater's life.

BUT...I ain't complaining!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BUT, I AM complaining about this (so-far) lousy weather summer!
You might know that, as soon as the city officials raised our water bills TRIPLE RATE, we have more rain and water than we know what to do with!

It barely has hit over 80 the entire summer, and recently its felt more like October!
After the dismal Memorial Day weekend, I thought "Ok, here comes June and...SUMMER!"
NOPE.
Then, after a rainy and cold June, I thought "Ok, here comes July and...SUMMER!"
So far...NOPE!
I'm thinking we got a dud of a summer, folks!
Maybe, just maybe, in the next week or so, it will start to look and feel like a real summer for the next 6 weeks...
But, don't count on it.
Come See Me This Weekend!
I'm looking for you and you and....YOU!!
-Skip Huston

OPENING SUMMER 2013 IN DOWNTOWN STERLING!!
BEER - WINE - MOVIES - FOOD!!
Twin screens of all digital and RealD 3D!
-In-Theater dining!
"That 'Avon Theater Excellence' Now Also in Northern Illinois!"