[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS, Jan. 18th, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Jan 16 15:38:57 EST 2013

NOTE: Matinees on Monday, MLK DAY!! See below for details!
Also: FILM CLASSES RESUME, but this may be the LAST year of them!

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  JAN. 18th  thru THURSDAY,  JAN. 24th  ONLY!!
Check out our ultra-groovy website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
 BROKEN CITY (R) Mark Wahlberg & Russell Crowe bump heads in this gritty urban tale!

  SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (R) Many Award Nominations for this one! Bradley Cooper & Jennifer Lawrence!

CONTINUING:
 GANGSTER SQUAD (R) Los Angeles. 1949. Blazing tommy guns, rogue cops after bad guys! Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and more!!

COMING SOON:
   JAN. 25th: ANNA KARENINA (PG13) The newest adaptation of the classic novel of love and sacrifice!
  FEB. 1st: HYDE PARK ON HUDSON (R) Bill Murray as FDR! You've been waiting for this one!

...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (R)    Comedy/Drama  2 hrs.   (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
EIGHT OSCAR NOMINATIONS INCLUDING "BEST PICTURE", "BEST ACTOR", "BEST ACTRESS"!!
Life doesn't always go according to plan. Pat Solatano (Bradley Cooper) has lost everything -- his house, his job, and his wife. He now finds himself living back with his mother (Jacki Weaver) and father (Robert DeNiro) after spending eight months is a state institution on a plea bargain. Pat is determined to rebuild his life, remain positive and reunite with his wife, despite the challenging circumstances of their separation. All Pat's parents want is for him to get back on his feet-and to share their family's obsession with the Philadelphia Eagles football team. When Pat meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), a mysterious girl with problems of her own, things get complicated. Tiffany offers to help Pat reconnect with his wife, but only if he'll do something very important for her in return. As their deal plays out, an unexpected bond begins to form between them, and silver linings appear in both of their lives.

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
MON (MLK DAY): (3:30) - 6:30
TUES thru WED: 6:30
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BROKEN CITY (R)    Family/Comedy  1hr 49 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)

When disgraced cop turned private detective Billy Taggart (Mark Wahlberg) is hired by NYC's mayor (Russell Crowe) to tail his wife, he uncovers a city-wide conspiracy involving corruption, sex, and murder. As Billy digs deeper into the evidence, and with his life threatened at every turn, he finds himself faced with an impossible choice, one that could have disastrous repercussions for his career and his family.
BROKEN CITY (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")z
MON (MLK DAY): (4:15) - 7:15
TUES thru THURS: 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++++

GANGSTER SQUAD  (R)    Crime/Action  110 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Los Angeles, 1949. Ruthless, Brooklyn-born mob king Mickey Cohen (Sean Penn) runs the show in this town, reaping the ill-gotten gains from the drugs, the guns, the prostitutes and-if he has his way-every wire bet placed west of Chicago. And he does it all with the protection of not only his own paid goons, but also the police and the politicians who are under his control. It's enough to intimidate even the bravest, street-hardened cop...except, perhaps, for the small, secret crew of LAPD outsiders led by Sgt. John O'Mara (Josh Brolin) and Jerry Wooters (Ryan Gosling), who come together to try to tear Cohen's world apart.
What better studio to bring us a period gangster film than the studio that started the entire genre!?  Warner Bros!
Warners was the home of Bogart, Cagney, Edward G. Robinson, George Raft, and made a gazillion great tommy gun epics! In this one Sean Penn plays real life bad hombre Mickey Cohen, and the 'gangster squad' were some rogue cops who didn't play by the rules! Great stuff!!!
GANGSTER SQUAD (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
MON (MLK DAY): (4:00) - 7:00
TUES thru THURS: 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++++

FILM CLASSES RESUME!!
My Richland-at-the-Avon Film Classes, now in their 12th year, will resume on Thursday, January 31st!

I said something last week about it being 8 weeks since the last class, but it really will be more like TWELVE WEEKS!
The "Politics at the Movies" classes ended right before election day in early November, and classes start again on Jan. 31st, so you do the math!

I need to let all of you know that 2013 may be the last year I do these classes.

There are upcoming projects that are going to take a lot of my time, and I will definitely be out of town more than at any time in the past.
(Don't worry about The Avon, I will be there as much as possible, and we have some of the strongest staffers in our history working right now, led by the stalwart and steadfast Ashley Petty our "GM" for more than 5 years now.)

I do intend to offer all my usual year of classes this year, however...
The class starting on January 31st is a continuation of my very popular "AMERICANA AT THE MOVIES" and this one will be PART SIX, I believe.

Then, this summer will be the favorite course of all of them, "OVERLOOKED FILMS", and this year will be the 11th or 12th part of that.

In Fall of 2013, I will offer something else that is yet to be decided, and that will take us right up to holiday season 2013....
And, at that point, I will probably be calling that class my final class.

So, I hope many of you will attend this year, and let's see what is most likely the final year of the Richland-at-the-Avon film classes out with a bang!