[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS, JAN. 4th, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Tue Jan 1 23:20:44 EST 2013

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  JAN. 4th  thru THURSDAY,  JAN. 10th  ONLY!!
Check out our ultra-groovy coolio website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!
>>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

CONTINUING:
 LES MISERABLES (PG13) Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe & Anne Hathaway bring the epic musical to the screen!
 PARENTAL GUIDANCE (PG) Billy Crystal, Bette Midler & Marisa Tomei in a holiday family comedy!
 THE HOBBIT (PG13) Travel back to middle earth for more adventures!!

COMING SOON:
 JAN. 11th: GANGSTER SQUAD (R) Ryan Gosling, Josh Brolin, Sean Penn & Emma Stone in a crime chronicle about 1940's Los Angeles!
 JAN. 11th: ZERO DARK THIRTY (R) One of the year's BEST! The hunt for Osama bin Laden!
   JAN. 25th: ANNA KARENINA (PG13) The newest adaptation of the classic novel of love and sacrifice!

...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

LES MISERABLES (PG13)    Musical / Drama 2 hr. 38 min.   (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Set against the backdrop of 19th-century France, Les Misérables tells an enthralling story of broken dreams and unrequited love, passion, sacrifice and redemption-a timeless testament to the survival of the human spirit. Jackman plays ex-prisoner Jean Valjean, hunted for decades by the ruthless policeman Javert (Crowe) after he breaks parole. When Valjean agrees to care for factory worker Fantine's (Hathaway) young daughter, Cosette, their lives change forever. In December 2012, the world's longest-running musical brings its power to the big screen!

NOTE: Don't be late for LES MISERABLES!! We'd hate for you to miss the very rousing opening scene!!
LES MISERABLES (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (3:30) - 7:00
SAT: (12 noon) - (3:30) - 7:00
SUN: (12 noon) - (3:30)
MON thru THURS: 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PARENTAL GUIDANCE (PG)    Family/Comedy  1hr 35 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Old school grandfather Artie (Billy Crystal), who is accustomed to calling the shots, meets his match when he and his eager-to-please wife Diane (Bette Midler) agree to babysit their three grandkids when their type-A helicopter parents (Marisa Tomei, Tom Everett Scott) go away for work. But when 21st century problems collide with Artie and Diane's old school methods of tough rules, lots of love and old-fashioned games, it's learning to bend - and not holding your ground - that binds a family together.
PARENTAL GUIDANCE (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")z

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE HOBBIT (PG13)    Adventure  166 min.   (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey follows title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield. Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the goblin tunnels.
THE HOBBIT (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 6:00
SAT: (1:45) - 6:00
SUN: (1:45)
MON thru THURS: 6:15
++++++++++++++++++++++

So, the holiday season is over, and what a season it was for us!
Here's an astounding fact:
Starting with Nov. 16th, and the opening of "LINCOLN", we were the #1 top-grossing screen in the Decatur area (and that includes Mt Zion, Forsyth, Clinton, etc) for all the consecutive days (with very few exceptions) right up to the present day! NO FOOLIN'!
That means over SIX STRAIGHT WEEKS as Decatur's top-grossing screen!
Because, right after LINCOLN was gone, here came LES MISERABLES!!
The good ol' Avon!
YOUR HOMETOWN THEATER!
Not owned by some faceless out-of-state megalith, but LOCALLY OWNED & OPERATED FOR ALMOST 100 YEARS!!

We've only got 3 screens against all those competing other ones, but we try to pick the "right" movies for those 3 screens!
AND...SOMETIMES...WE DO IT JUST RIGHT!!!

Thanks to YOU and my wonderful staff who really care about doing a good job for YOU!