[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS----March 1st, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Feb 27 19:17:08 EST 2013

STARTS FRIDAY, MARCH 1st!! And...ONLY at THE AVON!!!

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  MARCH 1st  thru THURSDAY,  MARCH 7th  ONLY!!
Check out our ultra-groovy website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
    THE IMPOSSIBLE (PG13)  The award-winning movie finally come to Decatur!!
   JACK THE GIANT SLAYER (PG13) A new take on an old, old story! Big thrills and fun!

PLAYING NOW:
  SAFE HAVEN (PG13) Looking for the perfect romantic movie? This is it!

COMING SOON:
  MARCH 8th: OZ: THE GREAT AND POWERFUL (PG) So, what happened BEFORE Dorothy got to OZ?? Find out!

...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE IMPOSSIBLE  (PG13)    Drama  1 hr. 54 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Maria, Henry and their three sons begin their winter vacation in Thailand, looking forward to a few days in tropical paradise. But on the morning of December 26th, as the family relaxes around the pool after their Christmas festivities the night before, a terrifying roar rises up from the center of the earth. As Maria freezes in fear, a huge wall of black water races across the hotel grounds toward her.
With such an astonishing real-life story at its center, The Impossible is never less than compelling.

Read the 4-star review from LEONARD MALTIN>>>>>
Unlike some films that have become critics’ darlings, The Impossible has no pretensions. It isn’t edgy and I don’t think it has a hidden subtext. It’s just a beautifully told, enormously moving story of a family’s experiences during and after the 2004 tsunami that hit a holiday resort in Thailand. Shorn of the contrivances we associate with Hollywood disaster movies, The Impossible recreates an unthinkable event and its aftermath with breathtaking—and heartbreaking—credibility.

Director J.A. Bayona and screenwriter Sergio Sanchez capture both the big picture and the small moments that transform a catastrophe into a life-changing experience for everyone involved.

Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor play the parents of three boys who arrive at the beautiful resort for a Christmas vacation. Their lives are upended on December 26 when the ocean turns into a raging monster. Once the waters recede, Watts and her eldest son (played by the remarkable Tom Holland, making his film debut) reconnect, but have no idea where they are, where to go, or how to find the rest of their family. They may all be dead.

I’m reluctant to reveal much more. The film is based on the experiences of a Spanish family who allowed the filmmakers to tell their story. Bayona and Sanchez doggedly avoid sentimentality, allowing us to bring our own emotional reaction to the events onscreen. The visual effects and production design make every scene seem genuine. Watts, McGregor, and the three boys are all superb.

Anyone who has lived through a real-life disaster, large or small, knows that it brings out the best in humanity. Ordinary people become heroic and brave people become inspiring. The Impossible captures all of that. It’s a tough movie, but also one of the best I’ve seen all year. Written by Leonard Maltin (used with permission)

THE IMPOSSIBLE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++

JACK THE GIANT SLAYER  (PG13)    Action/Adventure 1 hr 54 min.  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Jack the Giant Slayer" tells the story of an ancient war that is reignited when a young farmhand unwittingly opens a gateway between our world and a fearsome race of giants. Unleashed on the Earth for the first time in centuries, the giants strive to reclaim the land they once lost, forcing the young man, Jack (Nicholas Hoult) into the battle of his life to stop them. Fighting for a kingdom, its people, and the love of a brave princess, he comes face to face with the unstoppable warriors he thought only existed in legend-and gets the chance to become a legend himself.-- (C) Warner Bros
JACK THE GIANT SLAYER (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++

SAFE HAVEN  (PG13)    Romance 1hr 55 min.  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
An affirming and suspenseful story about a young woman's struggle to love again, Safe Haven is based on the novel from Nicholas Sparks, the best-selling author behind the hit films The Notebook and Dear John. When a mysterious young woman arrives in a small North Carolina town, her reluctance to join the tight knit community raises questions about her past. Slowly, she begins putting down roots, and gains the courage to start a relationship with Alex, a widowed store owner with two young children. But dark secrets intrude on her new life with such terror that she is forced to rediscover the meaning of sacrifice and rely on the power of love in this deeply moving romantic thriller.
SAFE HAVEN (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES & WED: 7:00 (ENDS WEDNESDAY)

So, how did you like the Oscars?
I loved them!
Of course, the Oscars are my "Super Bowl", so I'm a bit biased.

But, now that award season is over, its time to settle in for another movie year!
And, it looks like a great one too!

By the time summer is here, we will be converted to all digital projection and sound, and ready to continue our path to bring you excellence in movie-going!
We'll miss having 35mm film and our warm analog sound, but progress stops for nothing in any business, much less ours!

Come See Me This Weekend!
I'm looking for you and you and....YOU!!