[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---AUGUST 16th, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Thu Aug 15 15:03:47 EDT 2013

EARLY PREMIERE TONIGHT (THURS) AT 8:00 PM ONLY!!

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  AUGUST 16th  thru THURSDAY,  AUGUST 22nd ONLY!!
Check out our coolness website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
THE BUTLER (PG13) One of the Best Movie of the year! All Star Cast!
 PARANOIA (PG13) Harrison Ford & Gary Oldman in a big business thriller!

PLAYING NOW:
  Walt Disney's PLANES (PG) Hot new family film in the tradition of "Cars"! Bring the kids!

COMING  SOON:
 ...LOTS MORE GREAT MOVIES TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++

THE BUTLER (PG13)  History / Drama 2 hr 6 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Looking for the BEST movie in town this weekend? You found it right here!
LEE DANIELS' THE BUTLER tells the story of a White House butler who served eight American presidents over three decades. The film traces the dramatic changes that swept American society during this time, from the civil rights movement to Vietnam and beyond, and how those changes affected this man's life and family. Forest Whitaker stars as the butler with Robin Williams as Dwight Eisenhower, John Cusack as Richard Nixon, Alan Rickman as Ronald Reagan, James Marsden as John F. Kennedy, Liev Schreiber as Lyndon B. Johnson, and many more.
THE BUTLER (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++

PARANOIA (PG13)  Thriller 1 hr 40 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
In this high-stakes thriller, Adam Cassidy (Liam Hemsworth) is a charming, blue collar guy trying to get ahead in his entry-level job at Wyatt Corporation. But after one costly and illegal mistake, Adam is confronted by ruthless CEO Nicholas Wyatt (Gary Oldman). He won't turn Adam in under one condition: Adam must agree to infiltrate the competition as a corporate spy at rival tech corporation Trion, which also happens to be run by Wyatt's old mentor, Jock Goddard (Harrison Ford). Adam soon finds himself packaged for success, surrounded by glamorous boardrooms, expensive cars, and a life he only dreamed of. But behind the scenes, Wyatt is pulling the strings - stopping at nothing, even murder, to win a multi-billion dollar advantage. Realizing he's nothing more than a pawn in his boss's ruthless game, Adam's only way out - is to go in deeper.
PARANOIA (PG13)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Walt Disney's PLANES (PG)  Animated / Comedy 1hr 32 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
>From high above the world of 'Cars' flies 'Planes', Disney's upcoming animated action-packed comedic adventure starring Dusty, a big-hearted, fast-flying crop duster who dreams of competing in the most exhilarating around-the-world air race in history. There's only a couple of not-so-small problems, Dusty is not exactly built for racing and he also happens to be afraid of heights. Despite his fear and with encouragement from his mentor, a naval aviator named Skipper, Dusty narrowly qualifies for the big competition. Dusty's sportsmanship and speed begin to rattle the defending champ of the race circuit, Ripslinger, who will stop at nothing to see Dusty fail. When disaster strikes during the climax of the final race, Dusty's courage is put to the ultimate test. With the support of friends old and new, Dusty reaches heights he never dreamed possible and in the process, gives a spellbound world the inspiration to soar.
Walt Disney's PLANES (PG)
FRI: (5:00) - 8:00
SAT; (2:00) - (5:00) - 8:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So the long journey to opening our new theater / bar / restaurant in Sterling, Illinois finally meets its destination!!
We will be OPEN IN STERLING on FRIDAY, AUG. 23rd!!
This has not only been quite the odyssey, but it has been a lesson in community spirit!
To use a hackneyed phrase: It literally took a village to turn that old, condemned Sterling theater into a dazzling showplace!

I would think the people who helped make this happen number at least in the several dozen, and maybe as many as 150 civic leaders and local organizers all pitched in to give their downtown that very special venue that so many communities WISH they had!

When so many cities and towns seem to be myopic about financial institutions and business offices in their downtown,  and the entertainment venues get short-shrift, it is so refreshing and encouraging when a city like Sterling embraces and supports a mix of ALL types of business in their downtown.

Perhaps many communities will be inspired to think 'outside the box' too!
Come See Me This Weekend!
I'm looking for you and you and....YOU!!
-Skip Huston