[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---AUG. 9th, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Thu Aug 8 14:30:51 EDT 2013

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  AUGUST 9th  thru THURSDAY,  AUGUST 15th ONLY!!
Check out our coolness website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
  Walt Disney's PLANES (PG) Hot new family film in the tradition of "Cars"! Bring the kids!

PLAYING NOW:
 THE WAY, WAY BACK (PG13) A delightful coming-of-age comedy with Steve Carell and Toni Collette!

 THE WOLVERINE (PG13) Hugh Jackman in this anticipated thriller!!!

COMING  SOON:
 AUGUST 16th!! THE BUTLER (PG13) One of the Best Movie of the year! All Star Cast!
 AUGUST 16th!! PARANOIA (PG13) Harrison Ford & Gary Oldman in a big business thriller!

 ...LOTS MORE GREAT MOVIES SOON TO BE ANNOUNCED!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++

THE WAY WAY BACK (PG13)  Comedy / Drama 1 hr 43 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Looking for the BEST movie in town this weekend? You found it right here!

Let's take a look what Avon fan and world-class critic LEONARD MALTIN says about THE WAY WAY BACK....

THE WAY WAY BACK reviewed by Leonard Maltin
This is my favorite film of the summer so far. It entertained me and left me with a feeling of satisfaction that’s all too rare, especially at this time of year, when Hollywood shoots off its biggest guns. The Way, Way Back is best described as a comedy, but like many of the best films in that genre it’s rooted in truth: honest observations about family dynamics, adolescence, dependence and independence. I loved it.

Liam James, whom some of you will recognize from his roles on the TV series Psych and The Killing, plays a sullen 14-year-old boy whose divorced mom (Toni Collette) has dragged him and his sister to the summer home of her obnoxious boyfriend (Steve Carell) in a New England seaside community. Here he must learn to sink or swim, figuratively speaking, in an adult world that remains a mystery, populated as it is by a variety of oddballs (including Allison Janney and Rob Corddry). He finds unexpected refuge at a nearby water park that’s run with reckless abandon by a free spirit, played with charismatic, comic gusto by Sam Rockwell. Maya Rudolph is also quite good as his long-suffering assistant.

The Way, Way Back marks the directorial debut of writer-performers Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, who collaborated with Alexander Payne on the screenplay of The Descendants. While they fill relatively minor roles in this film, they imbue the characters around them with three-dimensional qualities that give the movie its enormous appeal. What’s more, they don’t take the easy way out of difficult story situations; ultimately, it’s not just the boy who grows and changes over the course of the film. I especially like the resolution; it feels right, and even better, it dodges Hollywood cliché.

This, to me, is a perfect summer movie cocktail: funny, endearing, poignant, and true…entertainment that respects its audience. Don’t miss it. C 2013 Leoanrd Maltin (used with permission)

So, there you have it, folks! And, remember, THE WAY WAY BACK can ONLY be seen in this area at THE AVON!!!

THE WAY WAY BACK (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++

THE WOLVERINE (PG13)  Action / Thriller 2 hr 6 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
In modern day Japan, Wolverine is out of his depth in an unknown world as he faces his ultimate nemesis in a life-or-death battle that will leave him forever changed. Vulnerable for the first time and pushed to his physical and emotional limits, he confronts not only lethal samurai steel but also his inner struggle against his own immortality, emerging more powerful than we have ever seen him before.
THE  WOLVERINE (PG13)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Walt Disney's PLANES (PG)  Animated / Comedy 1hr 32 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
>From high above the world of 'Cars' flies 'Planes', Disney's upcoming animated action-packed comedic adventure starring Dusty, a big-hearted, fast-flying crop duster who dreams of competing in the most exhilarating around-the-world air race in history. There's only a couple of not-so-small problems, Dusty is not exactly built for racing and he also happens to be afraid of heights. Despite his fear and with encouragement from his mentor, a naval aviator named Skipper, Dusty narrowly qualifies for the big competition. Dusty's sportsmanship and speed begin to rattle the defending champ of the race circuit, Ripslinger, who will stop at nothing to see Dusty fail. When disaster strikes during the climax of the final race, Dusty's courage is put to the ultimate test. With the support of friends old and new, Dusty reaches heights he never dreamed possible and in the process, gives a spellbound world the inspiration to soar.
Walt Disney's PLANES (PG)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And so....AUGUST!
Decatur Celebration is behind us, and what has passed for "summer" this season starts to wane...
The kids are headed back to school sooner than they'd like, and the "doggy days" are more like "soggy days" this year.

This is usually a lukewarm time for movie releases, but 2 summers ago when the wonderful film "The Help" came out about this time, it certainly sparked a return to the move theaters for the "Avon" crowd!

Well, next week, Friday, August 16th, there will be another movie that should have you all come running...THE BUTLER.
THE BUTLER is the true story of a White House butler who served eight American presidents over three decades. The film traces the dramatic changes that swept American society during this time, from the civil rights movement to Vietnam and beyond, and how those changes affected this man's life and family. Forest Whitaker stars as the butler with Robin Williams as Dwight Eisenhower, John Cusack as Richard Nixon, Alan Rickman as Ronald Reagan, James Marsden as John F. Kennedy, Liev Schreiber as Lyndon B. Johnson, and many more.

Its one NOT TO BE MISSED!!
Its ESPECIALLY recommended for the "Avon crowd" (those intelligent people who actually have a sense of history!).

We fought hard to be able to play it, so don't let us down!
++++++++++++++++++++++
Come See Me This Weekend!
I'm looking for you and you and....YOU!!
-Skip Huston
NEW PIC FROM STERLING THEATER!

Here is our lovely Victoria Rossi standing in one of
the almost-finished auditoriums in our new place in
Sterling, Illinois.
We are still a few weeks from opening this "Beer/Wine/
Dinner/ Movie Theater", but it will be the talk of
Northern Illinois when it does open!