[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER EXTRA! EXTRA!

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Fri Apr 12 11:50:22 EDT 2013

Hey Everybody!!
Just because the Herald & Review has stopped doing movie reviews, that's no reason to not have news on the movies that are playing!
Below is Avon fan Leonard Maltin's review of "42" that is opening TODAY!!

By the way, "42" has a 72% positive rating by the nation's critics. That's at least a THREE STAR review, and, more like a THREE-AND-A HALF STAR national rating!!

Harrison Ford and Chadwick Boseman as Jackie Robinson
 in "42"
Opening today at the Avon Theater!!!!

"42" reviewed by Leonard Maltin

Jackie Robinson made history as the first black man to play on a major league baseball team, but he titled his autobiography (which has just been reissued) I Never Had It Made. That and the experiences dramatized in this superb new film give us some idea of what the talented young athlete went through when he was recruited by Brooklyn Dodgers general manager Branch Rickey.

Rickey knew that hiring a black player was the right thing to do, and a good business move at the same time. He also knew what kind of man it would take to endure the challenges and humiliations of being the first man of color in an all-white baseball league. Newcomer Chadwick Boseman does a fine job as Robinson, who not only had to win over racist fans, team owners and managers but some of his own teammates, as well. His skill and strength of character did just that, one convert at a time.
Ford’s performance is said to be an accurate impression of the colorful Rickey, but it’s a bit too calculated for my taste. It may just be that I can’t easily accept the familiar Ford as this likably eccentric individual. Either way, the performance adds a note of Hollywood corn to an otherwise straightforward telling of this groundbreaking story. Nevertheless, writer-director Brian Helgeland brings it all home because the raw material is just so strong.

I’ve become gun-shy about trusting any film that’s telling a true story, so I don’t know how accurate 42 is; diehard baseball fans will know better than I. But it does hit the essential points of a great American saga, one that every young person ought to know and some of us older viewers ought to know better. That’s what matters most.
c 2013 Leonard Maltin (used with permission)