[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS----APRIL 12th, 2013

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Apr 10 10:52:31 EDT 2013

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  APRIL 12th  thru THURSDAY,  APRIL 18th  ONLY!!
Check out our ultra-groovy website at: www.TheAvon.com
 >>>Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
  42  (PG13) The true story of the baseball legend Jackie Robinson! Great cast including Harrison Ford!
  EMPEROR (PG13) Tommy Lee Jones as Gen. Douglas MacArthur! Great for the Avon crowd!

CONTINUING:
  QUARTET (PG13) Maggie Smith and a distinguished cast in an "Encore" performance by popular demand!!

COMING SOON:
   APRIL 19th:  OBLIVION (PG13) Tom Cruise in a spectacular science-fiction adventure!
   APRIL 26th:  THE BIG WEDDING (R) Diane Keaton, Robin Williams, Katharine Heigl and a whole lot more in this new comedy!
   MAY 3rd:  IRON MAN 3 (PG13) Robert Downey, Jr. returns as the Super Crime Fighter!
++++++++++++++++++++++

42  (PG13)  Biography/History 2hr. 5 min.  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Hero is a word we hear often in sports, but heroism is not always about achievements on the field of play. "42" tells the story of two men-the great Jackie Robinson and legendary Brooklyn Dodgers GM Branch Rickey-whose brave stand against prejudice forever changed the world by changing the game of baseball. In 1946, Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford) put himself at the forefront of history when he signed Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) to the team, breaking Major League Baseball's infamous color line. But the deal also put both Robinson and Rickey in the firing line of the public, the press and even other players. Facing unabashed racism from every side, Robinson was forced to demonstrate tremendous courage and restraint by not reacting in kind, knowing that any incident could destroy his and Rickey's hopes. Instead, Number 42 let his talent on the field do the talking-ultimately winning over fans and his teammates, silencing his critics, and paving the way for others to follow. (c) WB
42 (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++

EMPEROR  (PG13)    Drama 1 hr 45 min.  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Matthew Fox joins with Academy Award (R) winner Tommy Lee Jones  newcomer Eriko Hatsune and award-winning Japanese star Toshiyuki Nishida to bring to life the American occupation of Japan in the perilous and unpredictable days just after Emperor Hirohito's World War II surrender. As General Douglas MacArthur (Jones) suddenly finds himself the de facto ruler of a foreign nation, he assigns an expert in Japanese culture - and psychological warfare - General Bonner Fellers (Fox), to covertly investigate the looming question hanging over the country: should the Japanese Emperor, worshiped by his people but accused of war crimes, be punished or saved? Caught between the high-wire political intrigue of his urgent mission and his own impassioned search for the mysterious school teacher (Hatsune) who first drew him to Japan, Fellers can be certain only that the tricky subterfuge about to play out will forever change the history of two nations and his heart.
EMPEROR  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

QUARTET  (PG13)   Comedy/Musical 1 hr 48 min  (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)

Beecham House is abuzz. The rumor circling the halls is that the home for retired musicians is soon to play host to a new resident. Word is, it's a star. For Reginald Paget (Tom Courtenay), Wilfred Bond (Billy Connolly) and Cecily Robson (Pauline Collins) this sort of talk is par for the course at the gossipy home. But they're in for a special shock when the new arrival turns out to be none other than their former singing partner, Jean Horton (Maggie Smith). Her subsequent career as a star soloist, and the ego that accompanied it, split up their long friendship and ended her marriage to Reggie, who takes the news of her arrival particularly hard. Can the passage of time heal old wounds? And will the famous quartet be able to patch up their differences in time for Beecham House's gala concert?
QUARTET (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++

When we first brought in the extended menu items about 18 months ago, we had no idea how much you would scarf all those things down!
Indeed, we did have to "fine tune" it a bit; the mini pizzas and chicken sliders did not do so well, but the soft pretzel bites, new upgraded nachos, our improved Chicago all-beef hot-dogs, and the WhiteCastle mini burgers were successful beyond our expectations!
Now, as Ashley and I are planning an even more extended menu for our new theater/bar/restaurant in Sterling, Illinois (opening sometime in mid-summer), we are getting more ideas for food items for the Avon too!

So, don't be surprised if even more food options start to show up at the Avon!

What would YOU like to see?
Email us at: Info at theAvon.com with your food suggestions.
(Be realistic too. The best thing for a theater is "finger foods". Taquitos? Egg Rolls? Chicken Tenders? Potato Puffs? Full-size pizzas?)
Come See Me This Weekend!
I'll Be Looking for ALL of YOU!!!
-Skip Huston