[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---SEPT. 28th, 2012

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Sep 26 12:33:21 EDT 2012

STARTS FRIDAY!! AND ITS ONLY AT THE AVON!! TERRIFIC MOVIE!!

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  SEPT. 28th  thru THURSDAY,  OCT. 4th  ONLY!!
Check out our groovy website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
 ARBITRAGE (R) Richard Gere may get an Oscar nomination (and win!) for this excellent thriller! TERRIFIC MOVIE!!!

 SLEEPWALK WITH ME  (NR) New indie-film comedy hit! ONE-WEEK-ONLY!!

CONTINUING:
 TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE (PG13) The new Clint Eastwood movie!  'nuff said?

COMING SOON:
   OCT. 5th: TAKEN 2 (PG13) Now, those bad guys have taken Liam Neeson's DOG!! (Just kidding---that will be TAKEN 3)

   Oct. 12th: ARGO (R) Ben Affleck directs and stars in what is said to be one of the best films of the year!!

...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++

ARBITRAGE (R) Mystery/Thriller Running time: 1 hr. 40 min. (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)

Ok, folks! I have seen this movie in an advance screening and I gotta tell you: It is TERRIFIC!!
This is just what the Avon crowds crave (and what so many out there in "McTheater land" never  get:
A movie for and about grown-ups!
Not a spandex costume or fakey-looking computer special effects in sight!

This movie has a STORY! (what a concept these days!)
...and WHAT a story!
The twists and turns in this can only be likened to Hitchcock.
As Richard Gere's character sinks deeper and deeper into the mire, you will wonder how in the world he will get out of the mess (that is IF he does get out of it!).
Richard Gere has never been better, and there is talk of an Oscar nomination for him in this!

In other words: YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS!!

ARBITRAGE (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")

+++++++++++++++++++++++

TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE (PG13)  Comedy/Drama--Running time111 min (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)

Gus Lobel (Clint Eastwood) has been one of the best scouts in baseball for decades, but, despite his efforts to hide it, age is starting to catch up with him. Nevertheless, Gus-who can tell a pitch just by the crack of the bat-refuses to be benched for what may be the final innings of his career. He may not have a choice. The front office of the Atlanta Braves is starting to question his judgment, especially with the country's hottest batting phenom on deck for the draft. The one person who might be able to help is his daughter (Amy Adams), but that opens up some family history that may be best left alone.
This is Clint's first starring role in 4 years, since GRAN TORINO, and it can be said he plays a somewhat milder version of his character in that one.

Clint has said he will not direct AND act any longer. He will either direct a film, or he will act in one, but the years of double duty are over.
At 82 years old, and some of the finest films of the past 30 years, I think he's deserves the right to slow down a bit!

THIS IS TAILOR-MADE FOR THE AVON, FOLKS!!
TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SLEEPWALK WITH ME (NR) Comedy/Drama--Running time 90 min (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)

"I'm going to tell you a story, and it's true....I always have to tell people that." So asserts comedian-turned-playwright-turned-filmmaker Mike Birbiglia directly to the viewer at the outset of his autobiographically inspired, fictional feature debut. Birbiglia wears his incisive wit on his sleeve while portraying a cinematic surrogate. We are thrust into the tale of a burgeoning stand-up comedian struggling with the stress of a stalled career, a stale relationship threatening to race out of his control, and the wild spurts of severe sleepwalking he is desperate to ignore. Based on the successful one-man show, Sleepwalk With Me engages in the kind of passionate and personal storytelling that transfigures intimate anguish into comic art.

Laugh-out-loud funny and endearingly messy, Sleepwalk with Me overcomes its tonal inconsistencies to deliver a sweetly melancholic, amiably reassuring indie crowd-pleaser!

SLEEPWALK WITH ME (NR)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It seems every week there is a new challenge thrown at us by the Decatur city council's dubious decision to allow ADM to take some control of the taxpayer-owned parking garage across the street from the Avon.
There are some misconceptions that need to be cleared up here, and I hope those of you with friends who do not get this newsletter will pass the word to them:

1.) The city did NOT "give" the garage (Parking Garage B) to ADM! (I am not sure they can go that far without a voter referendum, but you never know)
ADM has rights to the garage from MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY ONLY, and from 6 AM to 5 PM on those days!

2.) The 40 new "Regions Bank" signs on parking slots that showed up mysteriously on the garage's first floor the other day, are ONLY effective in that same time period! So, the Regions Bank slots are only reserved for their staff from, again, MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY, from 6 AM to 5 PM. (I know, the signs don't specify that, yet, but I am working on getting that attended to!)

3.) The incredibly loud construction noises coming from said garage that have assailed our ears these past few Sundays, are a resurfacing project that is SAID to be done, or near done. (Let's see if that is the gospel!)

4.) If you are as annoyed as I am at this constant "obstruction" to the Avon by all of this parking garage B hoo-hah, remember this:
ELECTIONS ARE COMING UP! (You know what to do.)

In my not-so-humble opinion, the city needs to either rebuild or refurbish the eyesore Barnes building garage, and then SELL IT (with voter approval, if needed) to ADM. Then, ADM will have their own garage, with no restrictions, and the taxpayer-paid city garage B can go back to being what it was built and paid for in the first place: THE PEOPLE!!!!
Come See Me This Weekend!
I'm looking for you and you and...YOU!!!

IT'S COMING IN NOVEMBER!!