[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS--SEPT. 7th, 2012

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Sep 5 14:58:07 EDT 2012

FALL FILM CLASSES STARTING SOON!!  SCROLL DOWN FOR INFO!!

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  SEPT. 7th  thru THURSDAY,  SEPT. 13th  ONLY!!
Check out our groovy website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:
 PEACE, LOVE & MISUNDERSTANDING (R) JANE FONDA, CATHERINE KEENER & ELIZABETH OLSEN in a fun 3 generations film!

CONTINUING:
 LAWLESS (R) Great new 1930's gangster saga! TOM HARDY and SHIA LaBEOUF star with an outstanding cast!

  RUBY SPARKS (R) The new indy film sensation from the makers of "Little Miss Sunshine"

  HOPE SPRINGS (PG13) Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones & Steve Carell!! ENDS SUNDAY!!

COMING SOON:

 SEPT. 14th: SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED (R) Here's an "Avon movie" discovery you need to see!

 SEPT. 21st: CLINT EASTWOOD starring in TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE (PG13) 'nuff said?

...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++

PEACE, LOVE & MISUNDERSTANDING (R)  Comedy/ Romance--Running time 92 min (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)

As is sometimes the case when we need a little extra help from the more widely-read critics, we call on Avon fan LEONARD MALTIN for his reviews!
HERE is HIS review of "PEACE, LOVE & MISUNDERSTANDING">>>

PEACE, LOVE & MISUNDERSTANDING reviewed by Leonard Maltin (THREE STARS)
Not every movie is, or has to be, an "Event". Sometimes all I ask of a film is that it offer a pleasant diversion for an hour and a half. That’s exactly what I got from Peace, Love, & Misunderstanding.
 I fear it may get a critical drubbing during the heated atmosphere of the current movie season, but I stand by my opinion. It’s an amiable film with an appealing cast in a highly attractive setting.

Catherine Keener plays an uptight New York City lawyer who, upon being told by her husband (Kyle MacLachlan) that he wants a divorce, packs up her teenage kids (Elizabeth Olsen and Nat Wolff) and heads to Woodstock, New York, where she drops in—unannounced—at the home of her mother (Jane Fonda), whom she hasn’t seen in twenty years! Mom is an unreconstructed hippie, and the communal, laid-back atmosphere of Woodstock has a profound effect on every member of the visiting family. Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Chace Crawford offer potential love interest for Keener and Olsen, respectively.

The characters, as written by Christina Mengert and Joseph Muszynski, fall into recognizable pigeonholes, as does the trajectory of the story, but in the hands of these skilled, highly watchable actors, it’s still quite enjoyable. Australian director Bruce Beresford knows how to get the best out of his cast, and how to showcase the beauty and tranquility of upstate New York.

Other movies will attract more attention this summer, but Peace, Love, & Misunderstanding  has Jane Fonda, Catherine Keener, and Elizabeth Olsen—and that’s more talent than you’ll find in a many bigger, bolder summer. Reviewed by Leonard Maltin (used with permission)

An "AVON EXCLUSIVE"!!
PEACE, LOVE & MISUNDERSTANDING (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (1:15) - 4:15
MON, TUES & WED: 6:40
THURS: 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LAWLESS (R) Action /  Running time: 1 hr. 55 min (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)
Lawless is the true story of the infamous Bondurant Brothers: bootlegging siblings who made a run for the American Dream in Prohibition-era Virginia. In this epic gangster tale, inspired by true-life tales of author Matt Bondurant's family in his novel "The Wettest County in the World", the loyalty of three brothers is put to the test against the backdrop of the nation's most notorious crime wave.
A great cast of rising new stars: Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy & Jessica Chastain, plus veterans Gary Oldman and Guy Pierce!
Don't let mixed reviews keep you from seeing a really thundering piece of vintage crime Americana!
LAWLESS (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HELD OVER!! ENDS NEXT WEDNESDAY!!

RUBY SPARKS (R)  Comedy/ Romance--Running time 1hr. 43 min (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)
Calvin ( Paul Dano) is a young novelist who achieved phenomenal success early in his career but is now struggling with his writing - as well as his romantic life. Finally, he makes a breakthrough and creates a character named Ruby who inspires him. When Calvin finds Ruby (Zoe Kazan), in the flesh, sitting on his couch about a week later, he is completely flabbergasted that his words have turned into a living, breathing person. -- (C) Fox Searchlight

An "AVON EXCLUSIVE", this also stars Annette Bening, Antonio Banderas & Elliot Gould!
RUBY SPARKS  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:00)
SAT: (1:00) - (4:00)
SUN: (1:00)
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30 (ENDS WEDNESDAY!!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HELD OVER!! FRI, SAT & SUN ONLY!!

HOPE SPRINGS (PG13) Comedy/Drama Running time: 1 hr. 40 min. (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)
When you have MERYL STREEP and TOMMY LEE JONES as a long-time married couple trying to get the 'spark' back in their relationship, and STEVE CARELL as the therapist trying to help them, you can't find a better mixture for laughs and fun (and a bit of a "message' thrown in).

The reviews on this are EXCELLENT, and its the perfect "Avon movie"!!
HOPE SPRINGS (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI & SAT: 7:00
SUN: (4:00) (ENDS SUNDAY!)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The NEW Richland-at-the-Avon Film Classes for this Fall start on Thursday, Sept. 13th at 6:30 PM!!
Since it's 4 years since the last Presidential election, when we did our highly-popular "POLITICS AT THE MOVIES" classes, we will continue that with PART TWO of that series called (of course) "POLITICS AT THE MOVIES---PART TWO"
Here is the official description from the Richland flyer (if you can see the picture).

The screening and discussion film series starts THURSDAY, Sept. 13th @ 6:30 PM
Cost is $80 for the 8 weeks, and you can enroll the night of, or pick up an enrollment
flyer in our lobbies, or call Richland at 875-7211 ext. 265 to pre-enroll.

MY PLEDGE TO YOU:
There is NO "agenda" to this series.
We will NOT be discussing the current elections in any way, shape, or form.

As we did 4 years ago, we will be showing and discussing classic films from Hollywood that pertain to
our political process. There will be no "documentaries" or films calculated to have any
bearing on today's political races.

Any inferences that may be derived from studying these chronicles of the American political
system will be entirely your own.

I sincerely hope you will join us in this series!
The Richland-at-the-Avon film classes are in their 12th year, because of YOU!
Come See Me This Weekend!
I'm looking for you and you and...YOU!!!